questions about riding lake O?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

questions about riding lake O?

Post by lilly-Pad » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:40 pm

I have never been up that way and was thinking of heading up for a little scouting and ridding. My buddy who airboated up there in the 80's and 90's. Said they use to put in the Moore Haven canal and take that out to dynamite pass. Being that I like to keep my little sled out of deep water if possible, my question is there a better way to reach that area? When I google map the area looks like there is a trail east of the ramps but not sure if that will lead me where I want to go? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Re: questions about riding lake O?

Post by gatorfrog2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 pm

I'd put in at Harney pond or Indian prarie. From Harney just run straight across or go down by fish eating an around. Head straight to monkey box etc. Moonshine bay. Dynamite pass etc is pretty grown up. So is moonshine. All good riding / shallow is from Harney north to buckhead on west side of lake. Goodluck may be going back over this weekend. Pm me if you wanna hook up. :salute:
Lycoming 0320H 3/4 alum. Custom deckover 69" Narrow Whispertip w/ SuperSlick2000

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:27 pm

gatorfrog2 wrote:I'd put in at Harney pond or Indian prarie. From Harney just run straight across or go down by fish eating an around. Head straight to monkey box etc. Moonshine bay. Dynamite pass etc is pretty grown up. So is moonshine. All good riding / shallow is from Harney north to buckhead on west side of lake. Goodluck may be going back over this weekend. Pm me if you wanna hook up. :salute:
Thank you , PM sent :wink: :cheers:

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:24 pm

Ish, I usually put in in Clewiston at Roland Martin's Marina, which is right off of 27 since you are coming up from the south (I use the ramp on the lake side of the levee). The only real deep water you have to run is just to get across the rim canal. The airboat trail starts directly across from the ramp, and you can pretty much run the trails from Clewiston, all the way over to Monkey Box / Lakeport. Lots of good riding on the west side of the lake, especially the hay fields west of Observation Island if the water is up (not sure if the water in the hay fields is high enough yet?) . Hopefully some of the locals chime in (JustinM), they ride there all the time, and I tag along when I can.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:03 pm

that trail you speak of has ripped more then 1 hull apart.. waters too low to run it as a newbie IMO. So are the other cut thru trails unless you know where to get out of the trail.

Be careful out there this yr, waters low and overgrown as its ever been. I find new hazards on almost every trip.Take it slow n eze

If U run the M haven canal don't ride too close to the edge,rocks are barely covered
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

xranger22
Southern Airboat Member

Post by xranger22 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:39 am

Pad, If you put in at Moore Haven, your going to be putting in at Alvin Ward boat ramp which is on the rim canal which is deep water. If so, there is a trail about 100 yards to the south of the boat ramp called the survey trail. That trail will lead you into the pastures. That way you can also parallel the old moore haven canal to dynamite pass and cross over into steamboat. Steamboat is the area north of the mh canal. Just be aware that there are a lot of big boat that use the rim canal and the canal is wide.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:19 am

you will hit a nasty rock in that trail right now unless the water level went up. It's like hitting a speed bump
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:02 am

As Rich already mentioned, stay away from the edge when running any of the canals. There are rocks submerged just barely under the surface. A Buddy of mine hit one during early Teal season in the Indian prairie canal. lucky he had an aluminum Hull with poly. It did damage his boat, But a glass Hull with slick bottom may have sunk.

gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gatorfrog2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Its airboating :) think 100 yds ahead no brakes no reverse look for other flags an slow down in tight trails other than that HAMMER DOWN an have fun!!!!! heading overt sat pm Will prob put in at Harney pond or Dyces Ditch Frogging ALL night SunDay ride Indian Prarie North to Buckhead an Back Give me a shout we can Meet Up I'll show you the ROCK FREE trails but a Few Gators maybe in trail kinda pissed off from getting run over alot:) :violent1:
Lycoming 0320H 3/4 alum. Custom deckover 69" Narrow Whispertip w/ SuperSlick2000

gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gatorfrog2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:43 pm

ps John C i talked to your buddy teal season he was a litl Grumpy at 4 am in morning but we worked it out nice guy an his son is a hell of a shot HAPPY HUNTING be safe an now whos hunting next to yuo REmember we ALL have shotguns An a DUCK is not worth a life Move on

rjonesboy
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by rjonesboy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:19 pm

I'd stay out of that steamboat area, but that's just me. Really nasty in there. :shock:

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:59 pm

flcracker9 wrote:Ish, I usually put in in Clewiston at Roland Martin's Marina, which is right off of 27 since you are coming up from the south (I use the ramp on the lake side of the levee). The only real deep water you have to run is just to get across the rim canal. The airboat trail starts directly across from the ramp, and you can pretty much run the trails from Clewiston, all the way over to Monkey Box / Lakeport. Lots of good riding on the west side of the lake, especially the hay fields west of Observation Island if the water is up (not sure if the water in the hay fields is high enough yet?) . Hopefully some of the locals chime in (JustinM), they ride there all the time, and I tag along when I can.
thanks Bro, I was looking at that trail head on Google and it looks like a doable crossing. You know of my allergy to deep water I don't mind crossing but ridding in it far is just too long to pucker lol. :toothy7:

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:02 pm

gatorfrog2 wrote:Its airboating :) think 100 yds ahead no brakes no reverse look for other flags an slow down in tight trails other than that HAMMER DOWN an have fun!!!!! heading overt sat pm Will prob put in at Harney pond or Dyces Ditch Frogging ALL night SunDay ride Indian Prarie North to Buckhead an Back Give me a shout we can Meet Up I'll show you the ROCK FREE trails but a Few Gators maybe in trail kinda pissed off from getting run over alot:) :violent1:
thank You, sure do appreciate the tour will pm to try and coordinate :cheers: :salute:

gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gatorfrog2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Well I believe them "GLADES BOYZZZ" had a good time at the BIG O. Rode from Harney all the way up too Indian prarie an back. Had to wait out a few rain squals. But all in all it was a good ride back to Harney an then out to "island camp". An back. Good times an a pleasure to ride w/ all of you :salute: :florida: :rebel: :old_glory: Will try to post pics maybe LILYPAD has a few?

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:11 am

gatorfrog2 wrote:Well I believe them "GLADES BOYZZZ" had a good time at the BIG O. Rode from Harney all the way up too Indian prarie an back. Had to wait out a few rain squals. But all in all it was a good ride back to Harney an then out to "island camp". An back. Good times an a pleasure to ride w/ all of you :salute: :florida: :rebel: :old_glory: Will try to post pics maybe LILYPAD has a few?
We sure did, it would have been hard not to with such wonderful host. Gatorfrog2 showed us some great riding and kept it to skinny water mostly lol. I do have some pics let me see about posting, great to make new friends and looking forward to riding together again soon. Would love to be able to return the gesture riding out in the Glades some time soon. :proud: :usa: :florida: :rebel:

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:38 am

I enjoyed the ride also! I've ridden most of the lake with the exception of the Harney Pond / Buckhead Ridge area, lots of good riding there! :wink: . Thanks again Gatorfrog2 for hosting and showing us around. Next stop, the Glades where Lily-pad will be the host! :wink:

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:10 pm

for sure Kevin looking forward to it :thumbleft: :salute: :cheers: :proud:

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:29 am

Here are some pics mostly of us chilling............. :proud: :usa: :usa: :florida: :rebel:
Attachments
hanging out.jpg
Pit stop.jpg
pit stop at the levy.jpg

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for posting! :salute:

Rainwaterou812
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rainwaterou812 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:32 am

Wow looks like yall had a blast from the pics that was taking :rebel: