anybody running air ride?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
pjones540
Southern Airboat Member

anybody running air ride?

Post by pjones540 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:55 pm

is anybody running or know anyone running air ride suspension on their boats for the rigging? I'm thinking about having it put on my boat but would like some more input.

RDH0540
Southern Airboat Member

Re: anybody running air ride?

Post by RDH0540 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:26 pm

I have it on my boat and like it!
Attachments
100_3539.jpg
Air Ride
Randy Hodges
RDH Airparts & Fabrication LLC.
Fort Myers, Florida
(239) 872-0772
"Pround Member"
KRVSA
Palm Beach hull with air ride pushed by a Lycoming 300!

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:28 pm

Dave Simpsons boat, he took me and my wife for a ride and it is awesome. contact Simpson airboats!!
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Shippee123 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:22 pm

A friend of mine runs it and likes it , so I'm building my new setup for it as well.
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:35 am

But ........... why would you need that? :dontknow:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:32 am

I will have it soon. Mine is being finished up now. My shocks will be mounted in the front. This configuration does not allow as much movement, but I like the look of it better.

cdid
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cdid » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:24 am

I have it goin on my new hull im building... 2 friends have it on their hunt boats and i hunted it last weekend... It is not even close to having regular rigging... It is the best thing ive rode on... Takes a minute to get used to when the grass rake bounces up in front of you and you barely move in the seat lol
13' Palm Beach Full Deck (under construction) GITSO 520 72" NGQ

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:36 pm

air ride is the cats meow if you have any back problems, I won't own another without it JMO
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:26 pm

I've got a friend that just got his boat running with it, and he says he can't imagine running without it now!!

darrell
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by darrell » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:50 am

If you do it you will never go back and it's not that hard to Install
if you argue with an idiot who is the real idiot
12x7 traditions hull Moore built av540 74" ww

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:23 pm

I have a question for those who have this air ride system. When you have the set-up where the shocks are in the rear and the rigging has no forward attachment to the hull, is there not a lot of increased force on the hull where the rear mount is? Does the hull need to be reinforced? I would think that with all that leverage (especially once you start putting multiple people on the rigging), that the forces on that pivot point would make the hull distort?

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Seven3 wrote:I have a question for those who have this air ride system. When you have the set-up where the shocks are in the rear and the rigging has no forward attachment to the hull, is there not a lot of increased force on the hull where the rear mount is? Does the hull need to be reinforced? I would think that with all that leverage (especially once you start putting multiple people on the rigging), that the forces on that pivot point would make the hull distort?
All of the ones I have seen that attach like this, are pivoted and the lower point of the shock mounts to the engine stand. There are a couple bracing points that need to be addressed on the engine stand, but nothing major. Any questions anyone has should contact Dave Simpson. (SQD) He has a really good understanding of the engineering needed for these air ride systems. I bought a kit from him for my boat.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Seven3 wrote:I have a question for those who have this air ride system. When you have the set-up where the shocks are in the rear and the rigging has no forward attachment to the hull, is there not a lot of increased force on the hull where the rear mount is? Does the hull need to be reinforced? I would think that with all that leverage (especially once you start putting multiple people on the rigging), that the forces on that pivot point would make the hull distort?
I agree ...... all that forward leverage on the hull structure can't be safe. I guess I'm just too 'old school', but I want to feel the hull under me. It sends me signals that are important. Besides, it just one more piece of junk that doesn't need to be on there. KISS!

darrell
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by darrell » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:00 pm

All I did was build a pretty stout engine stand and put some bracing where the pivot points are I can still feel the hull under me and tell how it's riding but I can also stand upright at the end of the day. A piece of junk it is not.

cdid
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cdid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:39 am

Junk is the last word i would use to describe the kit... To answer ur question 7, if u have the option to reinforce ur hull, do it. On the hull im building i left the reinforcing of the front where the rigging would bolt to and added more gussets and c channel to the back under the motor stand. What the airride does is it creates a "lifting" of the motor stand and transom. (dont take that as a dangerous thing it is the way it was described to me and i understand it)

by far the best option on a boat IMO...

As for beating on your hull, your not riding on a cloud, you still feel when you beat on the boat.... It just doesn't wear you out

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:06 am

darrell wrote:All I did was build a pretty stout engine stand and put some bracing where the pivot points are I can still feel the hull under me and tell how it's riding but I can also stand upright at the end of the day. A piece of junk it is not.
Exactly. Besides why would you take advice on new technology from someone who calls himself old fart. Lol

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:34 am

cdid thanks for the reply, that's what I was assuming would occur...the area under the pivot wanting to lift. I'm sure the problem is solved with extra bracing. But I would assume guys that retrofit the system onto an old hull may have issues down the road with hull distortion; it would probably be worth the effort to pop the rear deck and add bracing on the older hulls.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:19 pm

JB550 wrote:
darrell wrote:All I did was build a pretty stout engine stand and put some bracing where the pivot points are I can still feel the hull under me and tell how it's riding but I can also stand upright at the end of the day. A piece of junk it is not.
Exactly. Besides why would you take advice on new technology from someone who calls himself old fart. Lol
Being old actually brings something to the discussion that is often overlooked ..... it's called experience. I've offered an opinion that I don't think that the stress loading on the hull structure has been adequately addressed. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit to it.

That said, I hope you all enjoy the cushy ride. I have no need of it. :wink:

cdid
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cdid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:19 pm

7 u may not really need to remove the back deck... pm me your # if you want i can text you some pics of how my back structure is reinforced... assuming your boat is a palm beach boat or a full deck?

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Olf, I thought I saw a thread started by you recently about always being in a lot of pain. Seems to me like you might really like the benefits of an air ride system. :dontknow:

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:36 pm

lariat wrote:Olf, I thought I saw a thread started by you recently about always being in a lot of pain. Seems to me like you might really like the benefits of an air ride system. :dontknow:
Lariat, nice of you to remember that. Riding a boat isn't a problem for me because I mostly stay in the water ..... don't run any dry. It's the launching and retrieving at the ramp that is getting harder, so for that I need a boat that's light and simple to get around with.

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Olf Art wrote:
lariat wrote:Olf, I thought I saw a thread started by you recently about always being in a lot of pain. Seems to me like you might really like the benefits of an air ride system. :dontknow:
Lariat, nice of you to remember that. Riding a boat isn't a problem for me because I mostly stay in the water ..... don't run any dry. It's the launching and retrieving at the ramp that is getting harder, so for that I need a boat that's light and simple to get around with.
Well then, I see your point. Glad you still take the time to go. Don't let it get the best of you! You gotta die to live! Not live to die!
However, i do run dry from time to time :wink: so I am excited about the benefits that air ride can provide.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:36 pm

lariat wrote:Well then, I see your point. Glad you still take the time to go. Don't let it get the best of you! You gotta die to live! Not live to die!
However, i do run dry from time to time :wink: so I am excited about the benefits that air ride can provide.
See there? When two men are willing to discuss something, we find out that we actually agree .... just different situations for each of us. :thumbleft:

darrell
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by darrell » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:35 pm

I forgot to mention when I built the engine stand I extended the legs to go on the stringers 3/4 of the way up to the front to help with stress in the front of the boat. Don't know if this helped or not but 3 years later running a bunch of dry and no cracks or distortion to the boat

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:26 pm

It is all engineered and Dave tells you where to add extra bracing, as well as placement and degree the shocks are at. Take it or leave it but I won't have another without it
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Return to “Airboat Talk”