Does this sound fishy?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Does this sound fishy?

Post by Ol Yeller »

I have my airboat up for sale and got a call from Fort Lauderdale from a woman with an accent. It was obvious she isn't an airboater so I asked her why she wanted to buy my boat. She says she's a yacht broker and would be shipping it overseas if she buys it. She wanted to know my rock bottom price and said she would pay with a cashiers check. I told her it would have to be cash and she said that would be doable. I told her there must be airboats down there a lot closer and she said she would be shipping it from North Carolina anyways. The whole thing sound real fishy to me. Any comments and is this a scam? Thanks in advance.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Does this sound fishy?

Post by Deano »

Not any more so than this smells . . .
Attachments
fishy.jpg
fishy.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll »

Man, I would normally say run...

However, about 5 years ago I was contacted by a potential buyer out of Miami thru eBay.

I called him on the phone and he had a bone chilling foreign accent. Didn't bother haggling with me on price at all.
I thought it was fishy so I asked if he knew anything about airboats and it was quite clear that he had no clue about anything regarding engines and operation.
He didn't really have any questions about the boat or trailer.

I told him that he sounded like a scammer and he yelled back saying he was sending the cashiers check and hung up.

It actually showed up a few days later and I explained to the bank the whole deal and they said that they could trace it to see if it was legit but it would take a few days or they could try and cash it and I could be out the amount of the check if it bounced. I was in college and didn't have hardly any money anyways so I said just run it!

IT WAS LEGIT

Now it gets even crazier, he sent a 3rd party towing company to drag it to I'll never know where with out ever seeing the boat in person :scratch:

That's the last I ever heard of him.

Can't say every story ends up like that but I had to share when I saw this thread :salute:
Last edited by scottyroll on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

MD3
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MD3 »

200% Scam - Did you post on craigslist? - What they do is send you the check "Including" shipping fees - You pay to ship the boat - now your out your boat and the funds you paid to ship it.

AceNtheHole
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AceNtheHole »

The story is similar to the usual scam. But, the OP said she told him a cash deal was doable. Why not meet her at a bank and let the bank clear the cash money. I sold a boat at a bank once for that very reason, and all was well.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

Be careful lock your boat up next it will go missing or something do not trust crap. :violent1:

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller »

Thanks I'm gonna bail. My boat needs to stay in the U. S. To be honest I wouldn't even trust cash at this point.

mc1253
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mc1253 »

If I have to do a transaction where I'd feel safer with a gyrene on a rooftop in ought six range I walk away.
351w pushing a 79" whisper tip ex , 2.68 ballistic on a 14' laser
1600 vw dd on a 12' sportcraft
the best time to fish is thru a hole in the ice
92-97 USMC

Rainwaterou812
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rainwaterou812 »

Shoot cash is cash if the boat went to Mexico or down the road a few miles u can oh ways buy or build another one that is better and bader with the fund's u get from it . Just make sure the check clears before u let go of boat and good luck with sale .

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huntingwithahoyt »

Bet it was listed on Craigslist.....had the same thing several times with a gun safe
They usually text.....l love trying to bait them into a better deal....heck once I even offered to pay them to come get it ......never heard from them again.....screw with them....they are definitely trying to screw you

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid »

Tell them to meet you at Walmart or Publix with the cash and you'll have boat and title with backup.

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Not sure what, if anything has changed these days, but as of a few years ago...
fraud.org wrote:You don’t have to wait long to use the money, but that doesn’t mean the check is good. Under federal law, banks have to make the funds you deposit available quickly – usually within one to five days, depending on the type of check. But just because you can withdraw the money doesn’t mean the check is good, even if it’s a cashier’s check. It can take weeks for the forgery to be discovered and the check to bounce.
Face to face cash is the only way to go IMO.

Rick

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Striker543 »

If she's a broker, ask her what brokerage she works for.

MARMON77
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MARMON77 »

Yes it's a scam.. I was looking for ATV's one day and txt a number it was one of those "to good to be true" deals. I screwed with them for 2 days they went from having only 1 ATV that was in storage to having 2 they needed to get rid of plus 2 five gal. cans of gas, helmets. I kept telling them I was getting a better deal, they kept adding crap to the deal and couldn't believe someone else had a better deal. LOL My last txt to them was GFY.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 »

I just sold my buggy this week, but the 1st reply I got off of Craigslist was asking me to send my PayPal address, and they would deposit the money and send a vendor to pick it up and haul it off. I replied to the email, "how will you protect yourself once the money is deposited, how do you know that I won't give you a fake address on where to pick it up?" They responded back asking for my PayPal account ID again, and explained that they worked on a Military Base, and couldn't come see it, but wanted to buy it as a present for his Father. I replied back just wire your vendor the money, and I'll meet him somewhere with the buggy, and we can exchange the buggy for cash? Never heard back from them.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

Have a friend who sold something for cash 10k.. turned out to be fake money.

Invest in a money pen..well worth it
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller »

All turned out good. Sold the boat for cash to a local in Melbourne. Lives right on a canal going to Lake Washington. Boat has a great home! I'm not done with airboating, just going to reset for awhile. Next time the river goes down, I'll be rooting through the classifieds again for sure.

Packman
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Packman »

Ol Yeller wrote:All turned out good. Sold the boat for cash to a local in Melbourne. Lives right on a canal going to Lake Washington. Boat has a great home! I'm not done with airboating, just going to reset for awhile. Next time the river goes down, I'll be rooting through the classifieds again for sure.
U bet U will , Its like a disease it will never leave your blood.
Swamp nugget, Your four banger bud
SJRAA VP

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

If you research the forums youll see where same scam was tried on old glory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by dodobird »

Rich Andrews wrote:Have a friend who sold something for cash 10k.. turned out to be fake money.

Invest in a money pen..well worth it
money pen don't work anymore they are bleaching 1 dollar bills and stamping them with 20 or 100 dollar bill stamp seen a few already so u run the pen across it don't turn black :florida: best way to tell if u got real money is run ur finger nail over the collar on the neck it will be raised
Last edited by dodobird on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

jchovernut
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jchovernut »

Cashier's Checks are crap anymore. The money can be yanked weeks after deposit when the truth is discovered. Consumer Advocate Clark Howard had a good explanation somewhere on his site: www.clarkhoward.com
SEVTEC Hovers: Prospector, Fan-Tastic, Vanguard; Weber Starcruiser SC4
http://www.hovernut.com
http://www.amphibiousmarine.com
http://www.sevteckits.com
Fan-Tastic! http://youtu.be/lwuosBSJw9Y
Great Alaska Hovercraft Adventure! http://youtu.be/tuPR8LCb7pY

Return to “Airboat Talk”