Fiberglass deck-over,sled,palm beach style

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Captcrawfish
Southern Airboat Member

Fiberglass deck-over,sled,palm beach style

Post by Captcrawfish » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:17 pm

I was wondering what company's were producing FIBERGLASS sled ,deck over style airboats and I know there's a few like a square nose jimmy white or steppin up hull but wondering if there was any with no step,rounded bottom and kind of a pad like Palm beach style hull or is aluminum just superior for that style :rebel: thanks :rebel:
12' Laser/PE 90 "HUNTHARDER"

Captcrawfish
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Fiberglass deck-over,sled,palm beach style

Post by Captcrawfish » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:46 pm

So does anyone out there no of any Fiberglass sled style hulls except stepping up,chuck hawk step hull,or jimmy white square nose with step I looking for something without the step more like a Taylor or Davis style or is aluminum just the way to go I'm really curious because I do fiberglass and might have to make make a sled mold. Thanks guys I really appreciate it, your the best and most knowledgeable group of people I can ask.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:58 pm

Some guys will cut down a fiberglass hull then have a deck installed, basically creating what you are talking about. But if you can afford it, there is no comparison to a riveted sled made of 7075. The only negative to them is the cost; a 12' hull from any of the big South Florida builders will cost you 7-10k. But it will be the last hull you ever have to buy.

Captcrawfish
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Captcrawfish » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Yeah I have seen that done before but the bottom is still the same real flat and rounded corner I was looking for a fiberglass sled style with kind of pad so she runs dry easier and finds water easy

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:50 pm

There is a fellow in my area who currently is running a glass deck over in which his goal was to also have an internal air bladder and pressurize. I have seen the boat but doubt he will ever build another as I understand he and his 2 partners have had a huge disagreement on how to proceed with their company. Maybe call Marty Bray in Live Oak I'm sure he would take that on and use the composite materials to save weight.

Captcrawfish
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Captcrawfish » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks I appreciate the feed back I'll look up Marty bray and see what he thinks about it and if he's interested in maybe building one or already had done something similar to what I want already .The one guy in your area how is the boat, how does it sit ,does slide free and being sealed,pressurized how does hold the weight ,do you know the name of the guy or business thanks a lot

timmmyy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by timmmyy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:16 am

Why do you want a pressurize hull. just curious
Olways on the furst date

Captcrawfish
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Captcrawfish » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:49 am

The presserurized part don't really matter to me I was just want a sled made of glass so it don't dent,mainly on the bottom and I work with glass so if I get a hole or any kind of damage I could fix it. I just think it would be a great boat imagine a Taylor looking hull made of strong light composite mAterial with no worries about denting or ripping granted if hit hard enough fiberglass wil break but I could reapair easy,fiberglass also flexes a lot and always stays the same as a original mold. Honestly I'm real good and familiar with glass and not so much aluminum that's my main reasoning for wanting a fiberglass sled.and I just love them glades sleds

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:34 am

I have had the same debate about building one like that myself, for some of the same reasons you site.
More specifically, I'd like to have a deck over that was more of a slider than what 'glass hulls traditionally are.
I built a few 'glass hydroplanes when I was younger and it doesn't seem to me like it would not be that difficult to make a plug as you describe and pop a hull or two off of it. It would mostly be time consuming, although what one off isn't?
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Captcrawfish
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Captcrawfish » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:00 pm

Well deano I guess I will just have to make a plug, mold it and see how far I can take it for there it's going to be a fast free style hull whenever I do actually get around to building it.like that quote to by Lawrence P Jacks that's pretty much my life

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:03 am

at one time if I recall right, Williams hardware in tice(fort Meyers)built fiberglass sleds. they were using Kevlar. don't know if they are still building, but may still have the mold. maybe some one from there will chime in.

JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by JCGator » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 am

I have also though a lot about this since i have worked with a lot of fiberglass on skiffs but love the look and performance of my aluminum sled. Always wondered why nobody ever made something with the same shape of a sled in fiberglass. I think you could make something lighter and stronger out of glass or even some of the new composites out there.
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs

midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by midnight rider » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:33 am

If your wanting a light, free riding, sliding, deck over that is fiberglass, it's gonna
be real hard to improve upon a decked over fiberglass step. A round bottom hull isn't gonna ride
Anywhere close to a flat bottomed or a step hull. What your describing is basically why a step was
Ever built in the first place.

JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by JCGator » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:02 am

what i'm talking about is taking a glades style sled like my taylor, splash the aluminum hull, fill the rivets on the mold, then produce an exact fiberglass copy of an aluminum glades sled. its my understanding a step hull rides a lot different but i've never been on one. Also, i thought a step wouldn't be good for running the hill and through the woods. basically im picturing an exact clone of a riveted aluminum hunt sled in fiberglass.
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs

midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by midnight rider » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:53 pm

If you get the chance to ride on a step I would encourage you to do so. They are fast free and slide. And easy to deck over. They were built to run down south but they drive different in that you drive with your foot a lot more then other types.

Captcrawfish
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Captcrawfish » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Yeah jcgator I was thinking the exact same thing as you basically mold A aluminum sled but now I would really like to ride a step hull see how the perform,mostly on the hill and in the woods. was wondering if anyone with a step hull would mine taking me for a ride or ride together and see what fuss is all about. THANKS guys this forum saves me and a lot of air boaters a lot of time and grief.also was wondering if any guys with step hulls are set up for hunting more then riding thanks post some pics if you do

midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by midnight rider » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Because a step hull rides on two points instead of one big spot it puts a lot of wear on those two points when you run the hill a lot. Doesn't mean you can't tho. Especially if your good with glass.

Captcrawfish
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Captcrawfish » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Midnight would you be interested in letting me ride along one day would really appreciate it I think I I might buy a step hull instead of building my own sled

RDH0540
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RDH0540 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:30 pm

happy harold wrote:at one time if I recall right, Williams hardware in tice(fort Meyers)built fiberglass sleds. they were using Kevlar. don't know if they are still building, but may still have the mold. maybe some one from there will chime in.
Harold you are correct, Charles Doss and Roy Burkett did build Kevlar hulls. In fact Steve Whidden had the last one they built but Steve sold it a few years back. The last I knew Roy had the mold but he passed away earlier this year.
Randy Hodges
RDH Airparts & Fabrication LLC.
Fort Myers, Florida
(239) 872-0772
"Pround Member"
KRVSA
Palm Beach hull with air ride pushed by a Lycoming 300!

rjonesboy
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by rjonesboy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:05 pm

I believe J.O. Burkett still has one of those hulls with a 0-541 on it. He may know where the mold is.

midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by midnight rider » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:33 pm

I would if I had a step right now. Traded my last boat for a flats boat.

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:21 am

thanks randy.

Return to “Airboat Talk”