What kind of an airboat do I need ??

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Southtxfishing
Southern Airboat Member

What kind of an airboat do I need ??

Post by Southtxfishing »

Alright guys I'm trying to figure out what kind of Airboat would work best for me. I would be fishing the lower Laguna madre in south Texas.. Since theirs alot of options I thought I get some feedback of those who already have own one... There are some place where you cross a deep channel to get to the shallow.. I would like to take around 3 others with me so how big of a boat .. Sry if it's to much but before I buy i would like some advice thanks

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: What kind of an airboat do I need ??

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

How far across are these crossings our planning to make?

I run a 15ft 11inch with 3/8 poly along the coast often times with 3 people on board. It works good but with any airboat in deeper or open coastal areas you really have to watch the weather and play it safe.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

that's a really big question to answer. it's all about your tolerance for pain. lol

i live on the gulf coast in louisiana. i've crossed the bay and fished the reefs and close in platforms in a 14 ft jo boat. it's easy when the weather is good.
got caught in a squall and broke every weld in that boat from the front deck to the back seat, and couldn't stop to put on a life jacket or get my compass, way too rough. if that old evinrude would of sputtered out i was a gonner.
the next day i had a 20' bay boat made and never looked back.

long story, but the point is .......... get a boat that u feel comfortable in. because if the motor dies in a real 2' chop with a nasty north wind, you are probly gonna sink quick in anything less than one of those big 18 to 20' x8 or bigger hulls. talk to some of the guys who run the south texas coast, they usually run some big rigs.

some folks can do it in a 14-15'er and they get along fine. there is no simple answer except you may want to talk to some folks who run the area your talking about and get some feedback.

the texas page on here might be a good place to get some ideas.

good luck

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor »

I fish the same stuff up SE Tx coast line. 18x8 BBC. JMO Robert.
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

Southtxfishing
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Southtxfishing »

Ok I'll try asking there ... It's usually deep only wen unloading boat at the boat ramps its a ship channel so you need to ride in it till you can get to the mouth of bay .. I say its about a mile long

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Southtxfishing wrote:Alright guys I'm trying to figure out what kind of Airboat would work best for me. . . before I buy i would like some advice thanks
Very likely, one of the biggest variables remaining unknown to us is your experience level.
Given the correct answer due to other considerations . . . the less experience you have, the bigger the boat should be. The one thing everyone will agree on is that the last place you want to sink one is in a shipping channel.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

ringneck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ringneck »

My choice for a combo hunt/fish rig STARTS at 16x8x30 inch sides, heavy aluminum and poly bottom,
solid rake, and plenty of very, very dependable power.

IT won't take but one encounter with a big tugs wake at night, in freezing deep water to be fully
persuaded that you did not get a big enough boat.
16x8 AIRRANGER RHINO, LEVATATOR 450, CH3, WW-EX-3B-80
Hand-prop, Aircraft, half guard old school survivor

CharlieCo_GTO
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CharlieCo_GTO »

16' minimum or 18' GTO or Air Ranger w/ min 8' beam, solid 2' rake, automotive power, polymer,
stainless rigging, etc... These boats are made for salt water...high sides, high transoms.... I fish a 15'x7.5' GTO on Florida Gulf coast and 4 adults is too much for the boat...just not enough space.
Last edited by CharlieCo_GTO on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector »

About 90 percent of the boats I build are for customers in Texas and by far the most popular size is 18 x 8 with 28-30 inch sides 3/8 poly with 5/16 on the side I usually do side by side rear operator with a 3 man bench up front and use either a 496 or 540 big block with a 2.3 reduction and 4 blade r series. Everyone loves this set up out there because of the different depths of water and the terrain you guys have to travel in. I would disagree on the aluminum rigging it cracks and it's heavier than stainless. I hope that helps
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

Return to “Airboat Talk”