Everglades 3A water levels

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Everglades 3A water levels

Postby glades cat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:31 am

All 3a water level gages are above the 90 percentile or overtopped. The highest water levels ever recorded this time of year. I believe they are going to do an emergency release south into ENP.
http://sofia.usgs.gov/eden/water_level_ ... treeisland
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

sfw777
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Everglades 3A water levels

Postby sfw777 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:11 am

I hate to ask but How is the frogging?

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:11 am

all because of stupid lil friggin bird.. ENP should be flooded like the rest of OUR lands are
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

SkinnerBack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SkinnerBack » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:46 am

What bird?

AN EVIL GATOR
Southern Airboat Member

Postby AN EVIL GATOR » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:04 pm

That would be the Cape Sable Seaside Sparrow. Parts of Big Cypress are closed off because of that guy too.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:34 am

Gerald and I went to 3A just after it was closed the frogging wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. And in case your wondering, Gerald got 2 1/2 pounds more than I did.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:41 am

Where as I am in no way a fan of ENP, I don't think you can put this record rainfall in the normally dry period on the park.

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Cherpa » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:06 am

Update...

February 15, 2016

Re: SFWMD Emergency Operations in Water Conservation Area 3
To relieve flooding and dire conditions impacting Everglades wildlife, the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) today opened water control gates to move water out of Water Conservation Area 3 (WCA-3).

Maximizing gate openings at the S-333 structure along the Tamiami Trail will allow about 10,000 gallons of clean water a second to flow south from the WCA into Northeast Shark River Slough in Everglades National Park.

The WCA, spanning Broward and Miami-Dade counties, has been inundated with record rainfall, including:

* The wettest January on record since recordkeeping began in 1932
* The wettest November through January, the first half of the dry season, since recordkeeping began in 1932
* 6-8 inches of rain directly over the WCA in one 24-hour period in January

This record rainfall and increased stormwater flows into the wetland resulted in the WCA rapidly rising to its highest level since 1994. The current level is approximately 11.41 feet, which is more than a foot too high.

At this extremely high level, wildlife loses critical food sources and safe habitat and cannot survive prolonged flooding conditions.

Emergency gate operations will lower the WCA level as rapidly and as safely as possible. The rate at which water levels fall is highly dependent upon daily rainfall.

Once the level becomes safe for wildlife, water managers will once again have flexibility to move water south from Lake Okeechobee, through water-cleaning wetlands, and into the Water Conservation Areas, helping to protect the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee estuaries.

Daily water levels in WCA-3 are available at:

* SFWMD WCA-3 Water Level Daily Report<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CyagukZa5Ed9Z39RF8HvA0fhsJnbXIlgNYskGOTwsYK2ltiSvj73mtnhwkbF-11Ai0X4N0ABu4qU8FB6nUUKk4sOEZeZnNeuGk5OosK8DqEIv_jDazf14LkrqqC-yhCkJfS7h1-KN7abcQ6NrgztBf30bS-D-EJ3REWfnQRctkQlY9HBfQbEk9b-0vv0EH6PzLoK0UydP7ZGRX4UQqCxBu6QzhxCd7SFBAZLHIys3P8=&c=DTABvaNtiXREZpQ59eL_F_rJZiSdwd4jROe7f3-Ua-LQj1W9wG9CWQ==&ch=FejxHjw5JmysOz0M538xhCKJOBrV22O-hWamLhk7YI4Vz45RKhHUSw==>

The SFWMD is also taking action to protect urban and agricultural areas bordering the increased flows to Shark River Slough. This includes connecting the Richmond Drive Seepage Collection Canal at Southwest 168th Street to the C-357 Canal.

This will provide additional protection for the area just west of the L-31 North Canal in Miami-Dade County's 8.5 Square Mile Area.

The SFWMD's action follows the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission orders that allowed the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to ease regulatory restrictions on operations to make this speedy response possible. This followed a request from Governor Rick Scott to the Corps.
# # #
The South Florida Water Management District is a regional governmental agency that manages the water resources in the southern part of the state. It is the oldest and largest of the state's five water management districts.
Our mission is to protect South Florida's water resources by balancing and improving flood control, water supply, water quality and natural systems.

STAY CONNECTED
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 am

Good report. Any info on wildlife impact and deer population health? Will another deer rescue be necessary?

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:39 am

I was planning on going out today with my boys to the bridge and see how the release is flowing south into ENP.

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Cherpa » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:52 am

This was the part I liked the most...

"Emergency gate operations will lower the WCA level as rapidly and as safely as possible. The rate at which water levels fall is highly dependent upon daily rainfall."

You may want to hold off before going out to the bridge. It's raining now. Pour frogs.
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:46 pm

Went out after the storm front passed. The sky cleared up, the sun was out and we rode out from the AAOF to the bridge, had lunch and hung around a while. Didn't see any discernible water flow. Rode back to the club and drove to the S-333 structure at the L-67. The gate was open 3.5' and there was good flow east. It didn't seem like much, but I've lost a rivet holding the poly on my boat, and it sank in no time. When you compare the width of the gate and the span of the bridge, it is understandable why the flow is not evident. Lets see in a couple of days where the levels are.
Last edited by glades cat on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davie GSO480
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Davie GSO480 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Proud member of the Airboat Association of Florida.
A Miami Landmark sense 1951
http://www.aaof.com

timmmyy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby timmmyy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Davie GSO480 thanks for infor.
Olways on the furst date

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Postby Scotty1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:58 pm

:rebel: BEEN keeping an eye on eden 14 which would be the rain gauge in the res, when they closed everything the gauge read 11.31 and now almost a month later it reads 11.66 so what ever they are suppose to be doing ,is not doing S_ _ T but making the water higher :rebel:

Bob1120
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Bob1120 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:04 pm

They won't be happy until they kill every fur bearing animal that lives out there!

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:18 pm

The water is up about an inch on the south side of the Trail at the AAOF since last Monday, when they opened up the gates. It's also flowing south through the Big Cypress and under Loop Road through the culvert pipes. They thought it would flow under the bridge and through Shark River Slough…not happening. There is a shelf on the south side of the bridge preventing the free flow. The vegetation grew on the south side of the trail and held much sediment, just like a tree island, and has naturally blocked the flow. It's flowing through the original culvert pipes under the roads…and they want to build two more bridges. They should have maintained the culvert pipes, or added some more.

brett711
Southern Airboat Member

Postby brett711 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Water at holiday park is up to the levee
Attachments
image.jpeg
Holiday park yesterday. Water is up to the levee

Eddie Beano
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Eddie Beano » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:22 am

I wonder if the Cape Sable Seaside Sparrow is good eating........ :lol: :stirpot: :proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida:
Eddie

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:10 am

glades cat wrote:The water is up about an inch on the south side of the Trail at the AAOF since last Monday, when they opened up the gates. It's also flowing south through the Big Cypress and under Loop Road through the culvert pipes. They thought it would flow under the bridge and through Shark River Slough…not happening. There is a shelf on the south side of the bridge preventing the free flow. The vegetation grew on the south side of the trail and held much sediment, just like a tree island, and has naturally blocked the flow. It's flowing through the original culvert pipes under the roads…and they want to build two more bridges. They should have maintained the culvert pipes, or added some more.

If I remember right there is a berm all the way down the trail. Probably where vegetation was pushed back to build original road.

Davie GSO480
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Davie GSO480 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:00 am

There is a small berm and ditch that runs parell to the Tamiami trail on south side,,,,and there are 29 sets of culverts under the trail as well,,that you cant see, unless you look for them...,,,of course removing the berm and creating a path for more water to flow would be easy......but no...lets build several multi million dollar bridges that can be seen and say first time water has flowed into the shark river in 50 years...
Right now the 333 gate is wide open, draining 3A...this gate is at the 20 mile bend, this is raising the water level in the L29 canal (tamiami canal)...moving the water east to try and force it under the bridge..and of course the culverts.... by Coopertown.
Raising the level to 8.5 in the L29...is the objective, however they are also moving water south into 3A..from the lake now..so more to come...moving the water to the bay, 40 miles away is the final goal.

Last time acoe and sfwm just tried to push the water south along the L67, but it ran back north and actually flowded into the L29...water is smart, it runs downhill....
Proud member of the Airboat Association of Florida.
A Miami Landmark sense 1951
http://www.aaof.com

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:37 am

Eddie Beano wrote:I wonder if the Cape Sable Seaside Sparrow is good eating........ :lol: :stirpot: :proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida:

It taste a lot like Spotted Owl. :wink: :rebel:

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Scotty1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:09 pm

:rebel: 11.71 as of the 24 no signs of slowing down :rebel:

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Scotty1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:44 pm

:rebel: Well I hope its finally starting to go down on 28 she is reading 11.59 maybe they did something different, has not been that low since back on the 15th :rebel:

Return to “Airboat Talk”