Should this boat run dry.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
coondog123
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Should this boat run dry.

Postby coondog123 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:37 pm

Aluminum 14" hull deep sides.
330 hp/350 GMC
2.09 Stinger Gear Box
AB-300 Stump Puller Prop
SS rigging (noted for weight purposes)
Specs shows weighs 575 lbs but not sure if that is total weight of just hull or hull and rigging.

Here is my situation. I like the boat, it is safe in deep water and that is where I operate most of the time. But I would like to know if I pointed it somewhere it would either go or tear something up trying. I saw all these pictures of boats parked on a hill and wonder how far I would have to walk from the waters edge to get to the hill. lol

Here is the problem. I would have no problem going to a 383/450 hp engine if that was the simple answer. But then I would need a different gear box either in the 2.39 or 2.68 range. Then a new prop. No one said air boating was this complicated. lol Do we all agree that any change out of the motor, gearbox or prop alone would just make me have to upgrade the other two components.

Maybe I should just stick to deep water and leave the hill to my ATV.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Should this boat run dry.

Postby akblackdawg » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:47 pm

it should, but you need to try it and see. do you have any gravel bars at any place you run. gravel is like ball bearings, easy to run dry on. mud is sticky, the worse place you can be, hard to get out of, most likely you will be stopped by mud. run it in shallow, that is what airboats are for, if you can't run shallow, and a little dry, just get a bass boat. in place where beach is gradual, run onto beach and keep momentum up so if boat is slowing down you can cut back into water, and carry some recovery gear with you. minimum of a come-a-long and rope, i carry a chainsaw winch, but we are often all alone up here. try running the hill where there are people to help you when you get stuck, test the limits safely.
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby SteveReid » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm

10245400_10204758365776252_5461609760498906442_n.jpg
15' Diamondback deep side 30" rake 330 hp SBC 2.38 gear box with 3 80" Sensenich props with a spray system and I go anywhere I want to go. I would think you could do the same if your props are the right setup. I hardly use my spray system. I have the same mixture in it from over a month ago, I use it in green grass most of the time or if I running a long ways dry. I have lots of video running dry on my youtube channel. Hope this helps.

coondog123
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby coondog123 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks Guys. My boat looks a lot like Seve's with the walk around and all that. I have different prop and mine is not as shiney. lol

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:33 pm

As for weight your engine and gearbox probably will be close to 575 pounds. If your engine is right you should be able to run some dry ground. Like akblackdawg said, try a little at the time until you get stuck and you will what it will do. The sprayer is a big help even if you don't always need it.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

FLGC4H2O
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FLGC4H2O » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Yes it will.

You don't need a new engine you just need to try it-
Try changing the pitch on the prop for a different result.
Get your hands dirty and get into Airboating it's what it's all about.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:55 pm

Now, you guys got me wondering, I just bought a 15' Hamant aluminum deep hull with a 470 angle valve continental with sensenitch prop but got to get back with you on the size, etc. Seems to have gobs of power but I was warned to keep it in the water by the guy who sold it but he wasn't the owner but seemed very, very knowledgeable about airboats but I never , but should have ask him what I would have to do to run it dry. I was planning on putting quick-slick on the bottom rather than stripping the hull to turn it over and put poly on it but I'm not a Wildman anymore so it wont be run on rocks, much if any sand so I guessed the quick-slick would get me by. From what little bit of time I spent with the guy i bought it from I firmly believe him but would like to get some opinions about what I might do to run it dry but not climb hills and etc. I wish now that I had ask him.

LoxStroker383
Southern Airboat Member

Postby LoxStroker383 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:12 am

I have a 14' DB like SteveReid, but I do have the 383 and 2.38 box. I went to freedom ride this weekend and first time to try the ridge. I was nervous because I have never done it, but my boat went up to the top like butter. I got some cool pics for the first time.
14x8 Diamondback, 383 Stroker, 2.38 OxBox, 80" 3 Blade NGR

CJB0470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby CJB0470 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:44 am

I just bought a 15ft boat witha 0470d and a 72in Power Shift prop. This boat is amazing! I use it for tours and guided fishing trips and it will run dry. That being said it's not a hill burner but I can cross the levie and get back to the water when the trail dries up.and it has a stainless steel bottom with nothing on it. :florida:
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest"
-Mark Twain

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:26 am

Well, you all can correct me if I'm wrong but the prop is a 72'' I-BEAM SENSENICH carbon fiber but I looked at the title last night and it is a 16' boat instead of a 15' so I told it wrong but now maybe you can look at this post plus my other one and make some since of it and tell me what you think. That's all I could find on the prop other than the sticker showing settings, Ft labs on bolts and the words patent pending.

airjohn81
Southern Airboat Member

Postby airjohn81 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 am

i had a 454 (400hp/400?tq) 2.09 stinger an 3 blade stump puller w ss riggin... boat was 18' though and wouldnt run dry for CRAP !!!!! changed gear box and added more pitch.... BYE BYE !!! drive that sum bitch down the road !!! the small block should like rpm's a lil more than the bbc i had.. but just in my novice opinion .... need a 2.38...
:old_glory: :florida: :rebel:

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:25 pm

measure the width of those sensi props at widest point, and people will tell you what blade it is
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:58 pm

alot of people are unhappy with their boat performance on dry ground. instead of throwing money at it, tune your hull!!!!!

a little round in the bottom will do wonders. it will make you go from i hate my boat to i love my boat.

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Postby GeeLeDouche » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:53 am

In my uneducated opinion, yes it should run dry without to much of a problem at all. Ive been in 4 cylinder aircraft boats that run dry in FL. I think that combo would be fantastic for what you want it to do.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
1648"M (& floatation pods) "Lowe" modified V Jon boat with a 31hp mudbuddy hyperdrive.

Return to “Airboat Talk”