Airboating in DEEP WATER glades

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
rsobczak
Southern Airboat Member

Airboating in DEEP WATER glades

Post by rsobczak »

Here's a video clip from
a recent airboat trip to access
high-water conditions in the glades.

Also an updated hydrograph, too.

http://www.gohydrology.org :salute:

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Re: Airboating in DEEP WATER glades

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Just ANOTHER EXAMPLE of the stupidity of state and federal interference , kill all the wild life except for those who can fly or swim. OPEN SOME GATES AND BRING THE LEVEL DOWN :rebel:

IT WOULD BE BETTER TO HAVE A MERCY SHOT THAN TO HAVE A SLOW STARVATION AND DROWNING DEATH

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW JUST EXACTLY WHAT ORGANZATION YOU WORK FOR :rebel:

rsobczak
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rsobczak »

Hi Scotty, I was accompanying the Miccosukee Tribal reps on a tour of some drainage system and water quality impacted areas of the glades, up in the Reservation and at some of their camps.

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman »

Scotty1 wrote::rebel: I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW JUST EXACTLY WHAT ORGANZATION YOU WORK FOR :rebel:
Last time I saw Mr Sobczak he worked with National Park Service in Big Cypress National Preserve.

Wonder why he didn't share that when asked ????

Gladesman

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman »

Truth be known though I do believe FWC or SFWMD are who shut the area down.

As far as I know Big Cypress Preserve is still open to access.

Boils down to if the Feds ain't shafting us the State is.

Gladesman

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

The destructive water impacts to the Glades resource is caused soley by governmental management agencies. Not by any motorized public access of the resource, nor from any camps; on or off the reservation.

The water regulation schedule that is flooding the glades with deep water, for extended periods of time is what is killing the glades.

Here is a tree island photographed in 1957, before the deep water regulation policy was put into practice:

Here is the same spot in 1999.
All the tropical hardwoods and other desirable trees are gone, and the refugia utilized by the wildlife is now gone.... and the wildlife along with it:

Deep water, for extended periods of time inundates the root systems, and even mild Hurricanes take down the trees one by one.

Here is the link to Tom Shirley's site, where he lays out all the information.... The same information he provided to the resource managers and stakeholders. Begging them not to flood the Glades with deep water, for extended periods of time:
http://www.evergladesrestorationfear.org/toc1.htm

His advisement was ignored, and the degradation of the resource continues / accelerates.

I trust his assessment of agency inflicted destruction of the natural resource far more than any screwball agency biologists.

Still the water rises

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

When did they dredge the Kissimee River straight into Okeechobee creating agricultural land in it's previous marsh? When did create the dike around Okechobee to create more ag. land and further restrict the marsh and flow. When did they connect Okeeckobee to the coast through various canals diverting large volumes of water away from the Everglades to create more agricultural land in it's previous marsh(and kill the brackish estuary). Do our fathers remember? Our grandfathers? Or has it been so long we do not refer to the "the way it was" only the way it was 60 years ago because we don't remember the way it WAS any more? If they re-direct that fresh water back into the Everglades, will the once destroyed brackish estuaries recover? How much ag. land would have to be reclaimed to decrease the freshwater dumping into the salt and slow the dumping into the middle glades to prevent destroying that? How long would it take to restore those marshes to their previous filtering and holding capabilities?

Can it be done? What would it cost? Who would pay?

I do not believe Orlando can be fixed. I do not believe Miami can be fixed. I fear the overall hydrology of the state of Florida is headed down an unrecoverable road.

But the culprit is us all. We (humans) consume. We consume food, land, everything. The more of us there are, the more we consume. All of our livelihoods contribute the the economic growth around us, which in turn adds to the destruction of Floridas natural state. We are the problem.

I fear it is inevitable. I just wish it wasn't happening so fast. I want my daughter to have some Florida left to enjoy.
Mark 7:9

Hog Wild
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Wild »

mojoe wrote:But the culprit is us all. We (humans) consume. We consume food, land, everything. The more of us there are, the more we consume. All of our livelihoods contribute the the economic growth around us, which in turn adds to the destruction of Floridas natural state. We are the problem.
Sums it up about perfectly. Agencies can be blamed, people can be blamed but the sad reality is that the state of Florida will never return to its once natural state.

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman »

My advise would be to enjoy what we have and quit whining and trying to promote guilt trips on everyone.

Makes me freekin' sick to hear all this self loathing bovine feces (BS).

Self-hatred (also called self-loathing) refers to an extreme dislike or hatred of oneself, or being angry at or even prejudiced against oneself. The term is also used to designate a dislike or hatred of a group, family, social class, or stereotype to which one belongs and/or has.
Self-hatred - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-hatredWikipedia

Folks at the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/ would be happy to have folks that whine like this as members and officers I am sure.

Gladesman

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

Lake worth was given an inlet and turned salt for the first time: 1877

First rim ditch around Okeechobee: 1910's

Palm beach canal created draining okechobee, the glades and making lake worth mostly fresh again: 1925

Upgraded rim ditch with a system of canals to divert flow east and west: 1920's

Channelizing Kissimee: 1940's

This was about 10 minutes worth of looking into the bastardization of floridas water and I'm certain is just a fraction of what has been done and the impacts.

Why does it matter? That 1957 photo of Tree Island hadn't seen an un-manipulated flow in over 40 years!!

I wonder if even the Native Indians have accurate stories of "how it used be" any more?
Mark 7:9

davesxp
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by davesxp »

I am a 54 year old native who grew up in Orlando, this is the best info on what has happened to Florida I have ever seen!
Don't be scared!

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Eric Kimmel »

cowboy wrote:The destructive water impacts to the Glades resource is caused soley by governmental management agencies. Not by any motorized public access of the resource, nor from any camps; on or off the reservation.

The water regulation schedule that is flooding the glades with deep water, for extended periods of time is what is killing the glades.

Here is a tree island photographed in 1957, before the deep water regulation policy was put into practice:

Here is the same spot in 1999.
All the tropical hardwoods and other desirable trees are gone, and the refugia utilized by the wildlife is now gone.... and the wildlife along with it:

Deep water, for extended periods of time inundates the root systems, and even mild Hurricanes take down the trees one by one.

Here is the link to Tom Shirley's site, where he lays out all the information.... The same information he provided to the resource managers and stakeholders. Begging them not to flood the Glades with deep water, for extended periods of time:
http://www.evergladesrestorationfear.org/toc1.htm

His advisement was ignored, and the degradation of the resource continues / accelerates.

I trust his assessment of agency inflicted destruction of the natural resource far more than any screwball agency biologists.

Still the water rises

Thanks for sharing that link

I remember those pictures from a booklet he helped put together with the Everglades Coordinating Council I carry it with me still when I try to talk to folks about our water troubles. . I also remember Mr. Shirley at meetings even when he wasn't feeling well telling folks again and again that that he has been sharing his information for over 40 years and no one would listen.

AN EVIL GATOR
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AN EVIL GATOR »

The Swamp by Michael Grunwald is a great book on the history of the Everglades and all the efforts to tame it

Return to “Airboat Talk”