Insurance Renewal Time

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Insurance Renewal Time

Post by emmitt Kelly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:55 pm

It is insurance renewal time for me...A cheerful reminder to be careful out there...seems Airboat owners are having more than their share of claims...I had a long talk with my agent...hang those rotten wood props on the walls before you kill somebody...drive like you have some sense..and leave the moonshine at the house before none of us can get insurance...happy airboating....
1999 Diamondback 502 marine Power
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Insurance Renewal Time

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks for the Update Emmitt. Who do you have yours through? Did you have to fill out a survey that asked all the details of your boat? I went through Geico and they have an extensive survey that you have to fill out. Someone did their homework. There was a lengthy discussion on the SA FB page about it. I am curious if they are going to stop writing policies unless you have a full cage. Surely, someone can chime in with facts on this.

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by emmitt Kelly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:35 pm

I have been with Arthur Gallagher through Markel american after Charter Lakes stopped handling insurance in 2012...this year they limited their liability to 100,000 starting this year...if you are new to the airboat world it is 50,000..and I asked her what the claims on airboats looked like...she gave me an earful ....which brought to mind after old coot started telling me how he sunk an airboat...
my response is airboats are like guns...they are not everyone
When I went with this insurance company in 2012 I did have to fill out a questionnaire and send photos...glad I don't have my boat parked in Florida.
1999 Diamondback 502 marine Power
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:45 pm

emmitt Kelly wrote:It is insurance renewal time for me...A cheerful reminder to be careful out there...seems Airboat owners are having more than their share of claims...I had a long talk with my agent...hang those rotten wood props on the walls before you kill somebody...drive like you have some sense..and leave the moonshine at the house before none of us can get insurance...happy airboating....

Just a quick thank you for reminding me of this I just paid my payment. Never go without trust me this is coming from someone who has recovered their stolen chopped up airboat.

BluByU2
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by BluByU2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:02 am

I would love to have insurance for my boat, but it doesn't appear that's possible with the new regulations imposed on us. Yes, Charter Lakes dropped me too. I will not build a new bonnet cage for my boat just to appease the insurance companies. I choose to use a pancake cage because a pancake has more benefits, and is safer than the bonnet unless you're worried about getting burned on the exhaust components which should be a common sense thing. I want quick access to my engine should a problem arise, or for maintenance, and I DON'T want to climb into a bonnet cage, in deep water, to work on my engine because that can get you killed if your boat goes down...yes it has happened to other people. We should have a choice without having to worry about being dropped from coverage. What other regulations are they going to impose just because they don't want to cover any airboat?

Just for the record...I have never submitted a claim on my boat, and even though I have been airboating since the early seventies, I have NEVER sunk any of my boats (just jinxed myself), I have built more than twenty boats, and I can't get coverage. That's just wrong!
:angry5:

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:14 am

a pancake is safer? How so?
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:27 am

I have said this before, as long as people put pictures and videos of folks drinking and racing they will keep cancelling your coverage. JMO :rebel:

bigkavr
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bigkavr » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:36 am

Well Guys, I think my recent issue with Markel can top the stupidity factor of the insurance company. I too had to fill out the survey and send in photos and guess
what? They denied me coverage! Why, you might ask? Because I had Search and Rescue stickers on my airboat!!! That's right, the search and rescue stickers made the airboat too dangerous for them to insure... Their reasoning was that I might haul an injured person on the airboat and that's not allowed by their standards....
I then ask them "what if you're out on the water and someone has an accident and needs assistance"? Aren't there "rules" about helping mariners in trouble on the water? So I'm not allowed to take anyone onboard if their injured? There was silence on the phone for a few moments and then I was told that if I remove the stickers, they will insure me. So right now, the poor girl is naked... Since I was a little "miffed" at this point, I figured what the hell, I'll ask another question.
My question to them; I store the airboat at the fire station in a nice climate controlled environment, the airboat goes out maybe two or three times a year for rescues AND I am one of the few airboat rescue instructors in the country, so why am I being treated like I dont have a clue what I'm doing? And along with this, the airboat is under the insurance of the fire department when we're called out on a rescue!! Guess what folks, they don't care!! This is going to get worse as time goes on. Everyone needs to realize this and be as safe as possible. It's only going to take X amount of airboat accidents before the plug is pulled and we won't have any insurance available.
As a foot note, I was even questioned why I operate the airboat year round and not put it up for the winter..
Even when you try and help, the brick wall is dropped in front of ya... Be safe out there folks......

Bigkavr
Fremont OH

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:38 am

Rich Andrews wrote:a pancake is safer? How so?
is a pancake safer?----heck no. just easier to work on the engine and do maintenance comfortably.
both my boats have pancake cages------after-all they are my boats built my way not the insurance company way.
is there anything safe on an air-boat?
they are the most dangerous boats plying our water way's.
especially with an alcohol mix!!!!!!!!
and by-the-way I don't have and don't have any plan's on buying insurance!!!!!!
went thru this on my first one call-after call so they can stick the high price insurance.
I pay out the yang-yang to insurance company's with my towing-business.
in 35 years I have used it twice--once my fault second nature's fault (3 doe deer) and 7 thousand dollars damage..
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:53 am

A Pancake cage is much safer in respect to deep water and a disabled boat!

No one ever drown inside a pancake cage!

Many Florida airboaters switched to the pancake cage for this reason after a FWC biologist drown inside a bonnet cage.

brett711
Southern Airboat Member

Post by brett711 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:06 pm

is there insurance available with a bonnet cage, and if so what company? ive been told insurance is no longer available in dade broward and palm beach counties. i was with charter lakes up until last year.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:45 pm

A few things to consider. Pancake cage or any other cage can be dangerous but it has happened many times where people get burned on the headers you should expect insurance companies to worry of things like this. For the record I think the pancake cages look great but yes they are more dangerous and no you should not be in the cage while out in the water and I do know it happens.

Having Insurance Is a really good idea cause you have a line blow anything simple like oil or gas gets in that water and you have some stinking liberal see this you will want the coverage cause it covers pollution and a clean up will consist of a bunch of Obama supporters looking to make a living off your spill. That will cost you a lot.

Overall coverage is good to have when you have your boat stolen if you do not find it in the first two days it will be chopped up for sure ask me how I know this. Also you car insurance will not cover your airboat while on the trailer.

I say who cares it is your choice just don't cry when something happens and you are fine.

Another great thing is an anti theft device there are some great ones and they are cheap.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:47 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:A Pancake cage is much safer in respect to deep water and a disabled boat!

Many Florida airboaters switched to the pancake cage for this reason after a FWC biologist drown inside a bonnet cage.
Never heard of this. What was he doing inside of cage and what made him drown?

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:04 am

Gary S wrote:
SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:A Pancake cage is much safer in respect to deep water and a disabled boat!

Never heard of this. What was he doing inside of cage and what made him drown?
he was broke down and was inside the cage, too much weight in the back, when it went down he was stuck inside the cage.
can't find the article it was a few years back.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:11 am

a lot more than a few yrs..