Paces to stay and ride in the everglades

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
stpeteairboater
Southern Airboat Member

Paces to stay and ride in the everglades

Post by stpeteairboater »

I would like to take my kids down to the Everglades airboating. Looking for recommendations for places to stay and areas to ride. I would like to find other family friendly airboaters to show us the area. Looking to do a Friday Saturday or Saturday Sunday riding and exploring. We would be traveling from St Pete side of the state.

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Paces to stay and ride in the everglades

Post by nomad41 »

Macks Fish Camp. You will not regret staying there. Marshall is a glades men and your kids will have a ball. He has cabins and tell him nomad sent you. He and his wife are raising there kids right here the right way.
http://www.macksfishcamp.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

X2 on Mack's. Great place, great folks, and a nice place to ride.

stpeteairboater
Southern Airboat Member

Thanks for the information. I checked out the website and looks like a glades experience must. Are there any groups or meeting places to ride with other airboaters? Looking to go late April or May.

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad »

X3 Mack's , great people great place. There is plenty of folks riding that area but can't find a better Glades guide than Marshall :scratch: :old_glory: :usa: :proud: :rebel:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa »

Why don't you come to the Airboat Assoc. of Florida's Corned Beef & Cabbage Poker Run this Sat., March 12th, & ride in you're Everglades National Park ? We are located @ mile marker 25.5 on US 41 (Tamiami Trail).
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hambone79 »

How's the water going to be for this poker run ?

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

stpeteairboater wrote:Thanks for the information. I checked out the website and looks like a glades experience must. Are there any groups or meeting places to ride with other airboaters? Looking to go late April or May.
There is certainly a lot to do in that area, including 2A and old Glory which is a heck of a place to see. I don't know much about the movements of locals, but I will be there at Mack's May 26th. Trying to put together a ride from Mack's on the 28th, followed by a big low country boil that evening. If you can swing it, come that weekend and I'll show you around and introduce you to the locals I have met so far. You certainly can't beat Marshall and family for hospitality and all.

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad »

Hambone79 wrote:How's the water going to be for this poker run ?
Plenty of water and can't beat the folks and food :usa: :thumbleft: I am stuck at work this weekend but sure wish I was there :cheers:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

stpeteairboater
Southern Airboat Member

Thanks again. I am currently get my reduction box rebuilt so the boat will not be ready until April. I am really looking forward to exploring and riding the everglades.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Keep us informed. Most of us ride every weekend so there should be plenty of opportunities for you to hook up with someone to show you around.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

460 FULLTRACK
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by 460 FULLTRACK »

This all doable if the glades open back up. Area 3 is currently closed to recreational use until further notice due to high water. The only areas that are open is Area 2, south of the East-West trail, and the area east of the Miami river, south of I-75, and north of the L-67A. Basically, the area west of Holiday Park. I would hate to have you drive down here and find out that the area is still closed. Mack's is able to run their boats because they are a commercial operation. Please check with FWC before you make the trip to see the status of the area. Unfortunately for all of us, the water is going down, but very slow. I don't anticipate the area being opened for a least another 4 to 6 weeks.

460 FULLTRACK
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by 460 FULLTRACK »

By the way, I just checked the Corps website and the area is still 1.25 feet above regulation.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

St.Pete; The water has dropped dramatically here in area 2A and Camp Old Glory. The sliding is great and I can put you and the kids up here. I hosted a youth gator hunt here last weekend put on by FSCA with approx. 18 people for the 2 day stay. Fishing off the dock and bow/gig fishing and frogging at night. Hawks, rabbits and other wild life day and night. Full deck on the 3rd floor for photos and night viewing. PM or call me for more info. Gerald 561 722 1712 :thumbleft:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Post by Scotty1 »

460 FULLTRACK wrote:By the way, I just checked the Corps website and the area is still 1.25 feet above regulation.
:rebel: 460 can you post that website :rebel:

460 FULLTRACK
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by 460 FULLTRACK »

I don't know how to post the hyperlink for the website. Google US Army Corps of Engineers/ Jacksonville district and on that webpage is a link to daily graphs. You then pick where you want to look and the info comes up.

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Hardtail »

460 FULLTRACK wrote:I don't know how to post the hyperlink for the website. Google US Army Corps of Engineers/ Jacksonville district and on that webpage is a link to daily graphs. You then pick where you want to look and the info comes up.
Just Copy and paste.

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Missions/ ... Areas.aspx

stpeteairboater
Southern Airboat Member

Thanks Gerald I will you a call sometime this week.

OLD MAN JONES
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by OLD MAN JONES »

First... thank you to all for the kind words and i hope to see you all soon. :salute: :salute:
Gerald is a heck of a guy and you wouldn't want to miss all the fun, food and conversation with him . Area 2A is unique to the majority of the rest of the Glades, in that, most of the area is inundated 11 months of most years with substantial water and also that most of the camps there are built on stilts or the like.
That said, it is a neat place to see with lots of camps, neat patrons to the area and a good mix of wildlife and scenery.
All the WCA'S have their own unique mix of landscapes, aquatic habitat and varying tree islands or hammocks as most call them down here. Some parts of the conservation areas are home to swamp lands rather than the marshland also known as the River of Grass. This marshland makes up the vast majority of what is the Everglades as defined by topography of the landscape. That however is just 1 of the 4 key components to the Everglades.
I will gladly explain this in more detail privately.
Either way, you are sure to have a great time with your family down here.
:salute: :old_glory: :florida: :salute:
LIVING FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR EVERGLADES..
WWW.MACKSFISHCAMP.COM A traditional cultural Gladesman property.

stpeteairboater
Southern Airboat Member

I would like to thank all the people that made for a memorable family airboat weekend. Keith, Nichole, Marshall and of course Sneaky Pete. Jarod, Bob, and dog Murphy for showing us around 2a and introducing us to other airboaters. Gerald for offering his camp for housing and a meeting place for every airboat out riding that day. Sorry we never got to meet in person. I would also like to thank Sharon at Stinger drives for getting my new gearbox done in time for the trip. The 2.38 made a big difference in performance. Great gearbox and top notch customer service. We will be back when all areas open up.

John Hagman, Reese Hagman, Ridley Hagman

Return to “Airboat Talk”