Can anyone ID this 1966 airboat?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Can anyone ID this 1966 airboat?

Post by DDSBC »

This is a picture of my Grandparents, my Uncle, Dad, Aunt and two of their childhood friends from around 1966. They were from Hollywood, Florida and they remember going to Shark Valley that same day so I assume they took this airboat ride down off of Tamiami Trail in Dade county. I know the picture doesn't show much but I'm dying to know more about this boat, like what hull this is, what motor and or what place it was out of. My dad is on the far right side of the picture and was born in 1956 so it appears as though he was about 9-10 years old here so I'm guessing it's from 1966. My grandfather was a captain for either Pan-Am or National airlines at the time and my dad says he remembers the tour guide saying, "You're an airline captain? You can drive this...." then putting my grandfather up in the seat and letting him drive. Man how times have changed.
Attachments
AIRBOAT.jpg
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Davie GSO480
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Can anyone ID this 1966 airboat?

Post by Davie GSO480 »

What is now Gator park, was Glader Park,,,,back in the day

Its about 6.5 miles west of Krome ave on the Tamiami Trail.
Its looks like thats what is on the side of the boat....
Proud member of the Airboat Association of Florida.
A Miami Landmark sense 1951
http://www.aaof.com

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

In 1966 it was probably built by Frannie Taylor. Or maybe Leon Pederson Who was the care taker at the air Boat Association a couple miles down the street. Glader Park was run by a guy they called Polak. He had two sons my age and when my dad stopped for a few beers after a day in the glades we would play together. Always something to do. In 66 it could have been Polak that was giving the ride and what you described sounds like something he would have done.

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TheElevatorGuy »

So I guess it's been a family tradition to ride around with 5 kids.......lol

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

Lol :lol:
Micah Smith

12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

Thank you guys for the info. I shared it with my Dad and he thought it was pretty cool what y'all knew going off so little info and a half pic of a boat.
Micah Smith

Return to “Airboat Talk”