Beware of ------------------.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Beware of ------------------.

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

Reading another guy pissed off at an airboat builder simply reminds me of why airboat builders are not as busy as they could/should be. I went through it myself recently with a parts guy who is full of crap lied I never ended up with what I purchased to begin with in fact I was lucky I got what I did from him. If you are selling anything airboat related be honest not a piece of crap cause you have ruined the airboat world reputation. Notice no names mentioned so I did NOT break the rules that I think SUCK they only protect the shitty reputation makers. :slap:

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Beware of ------------------.

Post by Junker »

No dog in this hunt what so ever.................

Two sides to every story...
First ever I have heard a negative against this particular builder....................
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

rdb
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rdb »

Political Correctness?

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector »

I don't have a problem with it if it's true but more often than not it isn't in my experience. Also there are a lot of small shops out there that get caught up and take to much in or get over their heads and have the best of intentions. I tell everyone up front I am at the mercy of the hull builder and I am a 1 man shop so it takes me a lot longer to build one than any of the big guys. But I have boats all over the country and have never had a complaint about the boats most customers are blown away with the finished boat. At the end of the day that's all I care about
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

Uhairball
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Uhairball »

Did you notice that the person doing the complaining about being ripped off just
joined Southern Airboat yesterday?
And the builder has been on here 7 years with no other complaints that I can
remember?
I guess people have to realize that buying an AB is a LOT different than
buying a car...

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

Only way I do any business with anyone is if they need a deposit fine, but it's a deposit made with my credit card preferably the AMEX. One way to ensure your not going to get screwed. I like to help a small guy as much as possible, but i'm not financing anyone's business w my money under their name.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by southern safaris »

It's getting to be where it's hard to do business period ..... Buyer or seller! I recently moved out here to southern oklahoma from florida where ive lived all my life. and I'm one that likes to do business on a handshake and a man's word , just how I was raised and will till I die ... Yes I've been skrewed but my choice ... I couldn't tell you all the horrer stories from folks around here about builders , I build a few boats but like the fella above stated too I'm a one man show as well ...only difference is I don't have to be at the mercy of a hull builder but I started out not taking deposits and after I had a boat in progress and they liked what they saw id take enough to finish and this kept everyone honest ...... In the course of 2 months I've had two boats started and then the folks that where soo eager to have a boat built just must've disappeared never to be heard of , I was lucky enough to find other buyer's but it seems like some don't understand what we have invested in materials , labor and being in compliance with the Uscg . I absolutely hate taking deposits up front from folks without having something already built but like I said earlier it keeps both parties honest ( for the most part) when you both have something invested .... So I can definatley feel for both sides to a point . ive learned a phone call goes an extremely long way even if it's not what they want to hear , communication seems to be the key , just my lousy 2cents worth of nothin :occasion5: :occasion5:
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector »

Now days you almost have to take a deposit. I have had guys send small amounts and I get the rigging done buy most of the hang on parts and a engine and they call and say they bought a used boat from a friend or something. With everyone wanting boats set up a different way it may take awhile to get your money back on what you have built. I just sold a boat we built for a older guy who didn't want to put much down cause he was out of state long story short he found out he has cancer and can't have the boat and I had a lot of my money tied up in this boat that was built the way he wanted it I had to change a lot of stuff to make it sell around here. I sold it but it took time and I lost money on the deal so it works both ways.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

bonecollector wrote:I don't have a problem with it if it's true but more often than not it isn't in my experience. Also there are a lot of small shops out there that get caught up and take to much in or get over their heads and have the best of intentions. I tell everyone up front I am at the mercy of the hull builder and I am a 1 man shop so it takes me a lot longer to build one than any of the big guys. But I have boats all over the country and have never had a complaint about the boats most customers are blown away with the finished boat. At the end of the day that's all I care about
Just an example not pointing this at you at all I have no clue as to your situation just wondered why everyone seems to try and hide this when I find it is 60% of the time when buying from an fellow air boater and who knows the percent of builder issues but I have seen them and often in some pretty high amounts of money. I work hard and when I pay for something I expect exactly what I paid for nothing different. Your situation I have no clue of but as a builder how much work would you guess you loose from all of the bad reputations? I am building my own engines now will be doing my cages just because of bad experiences. I would rather simply pay and wait but I have found this cannot be done without someone screwing you? I just want this in the open don't care if it hurts peoples feelings it has cost me a lot of money and with time changing you cant do all that much without screwing your own life up about the problem. yes on the other hand I have found a great hull builder that gave me my moneys worth and earned my respect. I have seen too many builders throw crap old parts used bearings in engines I would be ashamed to even do that to any engine and I have delt with promises that end up with parts that are not what was told of. Just wish it were different. You would make more money if it were. I am not bashing air boaters in general just the rip off artists that exist in our community.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

406 JAMIE wrote:
jeepinocala1111 wrote:Reading another guy pissed off at an airboat builder simply reminds me of why airboat builders are not as busy as they could/should be. I went through it myself recently with a parts guy who is full of crap lied I never ended up with what I purchased to begin with in fact I was lucky I got what I did from him. If you are selling anything airboat related be honest not a piece of crap cause you have ruined the airboat world reputation. Notice no names mentioned so I did NOT break the rules that I think SUCK they only protect the shitty reputation makers. :slap:

This is what i thought would be great to talk about the bad on here we r all family wright on here?so y cant we talk about the bad people that Rip the **** out of people on this site but thats ok WTF!!!!!!!!??????.JMO :rebel:
You took this wrong.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Rich Andrews wrote:Only way I do any business with anyone is if they need a deposit fine, but it's a deposit made with my credit card preferably the AMEX. One way to ensure your not going to get screwed. I like to help a small guy as much as possible, but i'm not financing anyone's business w my money under their name.
I may move this direction now but I would rather pay cash so they know I appreciate their help.

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector »

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
bonecollector wrote:I don't have a problem with it if it's true but more often than not it isn't in my experience. Also there are a lot of small shops out there that get caught up and take to much in or get over their heads and have the best of intentions. I tell everyone up front I am at the mercy of the hull builder and I am a 1 man shop so it takes me a lot longer to build one than any of the big guys. But I have boats all over the country and have never had a complaint about the boats most customers are blown away with the finished boat. At the end of the day that's all I care about
Just an example not pointing this at you at all I have no clue as to your situation just wondered why everyone seems to try and hide this when I find it is 60% of the time when buying from an fellow air boater and who knows the percent of builder issues but I have seen them and often in some pretty high amounts of money. I work hard and when I pay for something I expect exactly what I paid for nothing different. Your situation I have no clue of but as a builder how much work would you guess you loose from all of the bad reputations? I am building my own engines now will be doing my cages just because of bad experiences. I would rather simply pay and wait but I have found this cannot be done without someone screwing you? I just want this in the open don't care if it hurts peoples feelings it has cost me a lot of money and with time changing you cant do all that much without screwing your own life up about the problem. yes on the other hand I have found a great hull builder that gave me my moneys worth and earned my respect. I have seen too many builders throw crap old parts used bearings in engines I would be ashamed to even do that to any engine and I have delt with promises that end up with parts that are not what was told of. Just wish it were different. You would make more money if it were. I am not bashing air boaters in general just the rip off artists that exist in our community.
I agree it should be easier to deal with people but things have changed everybody is out for themselves anymore. I do the best I can to help anyone I can but rarely is it returned

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

I have a lot to say about this issue (down south). A long time boat builder and some one close to him that will "fix" the "boat kit" that was handed to me. The boat may be finished in time for the Veterans Appreciation Day run. More WILL come with witness' to back up my statements.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

AceNtheHole
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AceNtheHole »

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

the rules that I think SUCK they only protect the shitty reputation makers
I disagree...the good reputation makers do pretty well on SA!

The rules that "SUCK" keep this place from becoming a damn battle ground between sorry ass customers AND sorry ass vendors. There ain't many of either, but both seem to be the loudest.

You can't imagine how many times I've been stuck in the middle of various "Airboat Deals Gone Bad" with no way of knowing who's "typing" the damn truth...lawsuit threats included.

Rick

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

I will say in my entire life I have never seen a industry where people are willing to ruin their name or business over a few hundred dollars. At least when a politician sells out he feels his name is worth more than a few hundred bucks. In 20 years I have only had 1 customer rip me off (bad check) I have lost a lot of money I shouldn't have in order to make customers happy. I can also say I have only told 1 customer I'm not going to help you and to leave and never call me again. Pretty dam good stats in my book. It has become so difficult to do business anymore the worst part is in todays world most businesses get business by trash talking or just plain simple dishonesty. Most long term engine builders will not trash talk competitors because they have experience in their craft. However brokers AKA people selling other peoples motors have become pathetic. I hear all the time of these people bashing us or other engine builders with decades of experience that I know are top notch. Whats sad is how people will listen to a person who has never even actually built a motor they just sell them. Trash talk travels at the speed of sound but complements travel by pigeon carrier.

I learned this at a young age from someone I consider a mentor anytime anybody asked him about another engine builder even if the other guy had half his skill he always said. "He will build you a good motor." I was young the 1st time I heard him say this. I asked him why would you say that the other guy is a incompetent idiot. He simply replied I want to get a job by performing better I will never bash a competitor to get work. Its so difficult anymore everyone knows everything AKA internet, everyone is a expert, cant make any money on parts and very very few people are honest but worse of all are those people who put so much effort into trash talking or BS sale pitches. If they put half the effort into actually doing something things would be much better. MY PARTING WORDS ARE TALK TO PEOPLE WHO ARE ACTUALLY CUSTOMERS OF THE VENDOR YOU ARE CONSIDERING AND ASK THEM SPECIFICALLY WHAT THEY DID AND DIDN'T LIKE. NEVER believe the story that starts off with, a buddy of mine or my neighbors best friends brother.

Rick and this site have managed these problems in a excellent fashion. They put both people in a situation where site member's can contact each other. Preventing reputation hit men or BS from flourishing.
Last edited by Waterthunder on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow »

Rick, you better watch your language, Whitebear will be handing you a time out. :lol:

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

It wouldn't be the first time I've been moderated lol.

Rick

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

I had a buggy stolen from a "reputable builder" he had no business license, no established business cred's but I was taken and learned a hard lesson. Lots of guys on here know who it was and don't mention what happened even though they know the story. Bitches is what they are

Stolen part exchanges, builders w no financial credibility have entered the market long ago and easy targets have sprung up like a good crop of rag weed..

20 yrs ago U didn't need to worry about that because if U screwed somebody you got your ass kicked beyond recognition.

I've seen running gear re painted by reputable builders in the buggy world who act like "it was a normal business transaction" knowing dam right well the shit was stolen.

Beware of businesses who should not be in business with transactions over thousands of dollars. If you choose to work with a business with no insurance, no product liability accept he consequences.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

rick wrote:

The rules that "SUCK" keep this place from becoming a damn battle ground between sorry ass customers AND sorry ass vendors. There ain't many of either, but both seem to be the loudest.

You can't imagine how many times I've been stuck in the middle of various "Airboat Deals Gone Bad" with no way of knowing who's "typing" the damn truth...lawsuit threats included.

Rick
Maybe the answer is for a list of vendors that have to earn their name to be on that list this way anyone can look and know they are safe.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Hahahah Rick I had almost forgot about that !

I have never subscribed to the idea you have to make someone else look bad to make your choice look good.

As for deals gone wrong, well, Most never stop to think how many deals go right or even perfect compared to how many go bad. Watching this forum every day now for a year or two I find it incredible the amount of good solid business that passes through SA, both the classifieds and as a result of members getting to talk to and know the vendors who also happen to be members here. A lot is repeat customers but I believe the bulk is between folks who have never met until they started talking it up and made their private deals and a short time later you see a shout out to Company X or Mr. Y for the great service and all the help getting through getting their product made.

Look around at the folks who are always in demand, the folks who get constant compliments on here and the ones who are involved in more than just making the deal and selling something. I almost never single out a company or someone but look at Diamondback or Hamant, ok Waterthunder, there are MANY others in this category, these guys do more than sit in their shop and take orders, they are actually involved in airboating. They got where they are by doing things right. The ones you hear about through underground talk and silent deals etc are not the top providers of services.

Ok, I will hush but folks really should spend some time on the forum learning who is who and what is what, get to know people then when ready spend that money so you aren't dealing with someone you just learned about last month. And yes, I do get involved when someone, anyone creates an account here and their first post is to complain about someone or something. I would rather hear a fat woman effluviate then see a grown man cry. Make your choices with knowledge not with hear say.

There are a lot of other places you can go talk about airboats but we have a member base of over 25 thousand. That doesn't mean others aren't good, but where do you go to find out information on airboating? Use the same thinking when spending your money. Go where the activity is and where people are involved.

Ok I got long winded, I may even get moderated.......oops ! Grinn
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
rick wrote:

Rick
Maybe the answer is for a list of vendors that have to earn their name to be on that list this way anyone can look and know they are safe.
Not sure how the qualifying procedure would be setup, but something like that might work with the new Airboat Directory which will be coming with all these site changes.

The new directory will be a airboat business directory instead of the internet directory it is right now. It will also be a part of SouthernAirboat.com and logged in members will be able to rate the businesses.

Right now I'm working on required changes for the forum in the background. After we get the forum & gallery up to date, I'll be working the new Airboat Directory.

Whitebear wrote:Hahahah Rick I had almost forgot about that !
Yes, I have been to thread heaven...can't remember what it was, but probably deserved it though lol.

Rick

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Ok how did i take this wrong???[/quote]

Corrected I took your post wrong. :banghead:

In the end I would like a positive who to deal with and who to stay away from listing. Check this out this site is protecting their people from these type of people. https://www.facebook.com/SOUTH-FLORIDA- ... 711196403/ About 3/4 of the way down the page notice the warning to stay away from someone. Now that's the way to let people know.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

rick wrote:It wouldn't be the first time I've been moderated lol.

Rick

TIME OUT FOR A WEEK :lol: :stirpot: :D :D :D :D :D
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

jeepinocala1111 wrote:In the end I would like a positive who to deal with and who to stay away from listing. Check this out this site is protecting their people from these type of people. https://www.facebook.com/SOUTH-FLORIDA- ... 711196403/ About 3/4 of the way down the page notice the warning to stay away from someone. Now that's the way to let people know.
Holy cow, that'd never work on SA. Anybody in the world can create an account & post anything they want within about a minute on SA. Can I do that on that FB page? If not, we're comparing apples to oranges IMO. Just curious cause I don't know JS about FB.

Is that the guy that got you? If so, you should've put his name in the search box here. There's enough information posted on SA to create suspicion IMO.

Rick

Return to “Airboat Talk”