Flags for everyone ?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Onearmgary
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Flags for everyone ?

Post by Onearmgary » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:31 am

I was just reading a magazine and it had an article about the requirements for kayaks and other small craft are now required to run an orange flags just like us. I was wonder if this is a curate or not. I didn't see anything on FWC website but I'm not the best at searching either. If so it's about time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Flags for everyone ?

Post by digginfool » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:58 am

Funny you should bring that up. Three weeks ago, another camp owner and I had a discussion with an FWC officer about this very subject. There had been a group of 3 kayaks with very small children on board well up into the airboat trails. FWC told us that the only vessels required to have a flag were airboats, even if the other vessel is in the trails, whether it's a bass boat, pontoon or kayak.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:09 pm

Onearmgary wrote:I was just reading a magazine and it had an article about the requirements for kayaks and other small craft are now required to run an orange flags just like us. I was wonder if this is a curate or not. I didn't see anything on FWC website but I'm not the best at searching either. If so it's about time.

There is no Florida law on this it is VERY discouraging that they put a flag on the tallest boat so I will tell you what I tell them-In a small boat you have the right away and you also have the right to get the hell out of the way because if you can not be seen and I run your ass over it is YOUR problem and I will report you. There are laws on ALL boats of having to be SEEN.

Onearmgary
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Onearmgary » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:34 pm

I'll see if I can locate the article again and get a better idea of what it was saying. It was airboating magazine so I'd like to think it was accurate. Probably my reading comprehension to blame. Proud product of Florida public school system.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:49 pm

There are tones of waterway laws. No blocking- fishing in channel no operating of a personal water craft at night. But no flags. Truth i notice flags more when there far away- like across the lake or field.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:30 pm

Unfortunately, a search of the currently published (2015) state statutes does not contain anything to that effect.

In fact the term 'kayak' only appears in 4 places:

1 - fs 324.48 exception from having to pay a registration fee
2 - fs 327.02 "Definitions - "
3 - fs 327.803 an appointment to the boating advisory council (WTF ?)
4 - fs 328.56 exception from having to display a registration number requirement

It is quite possible (although unlikely) that such a thought is contained in a committee or in some other process. I didn't have or take the time to research all those possibilities. However, historical results would suggest that a man should not be holding his breath.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Page 14 airboat magazine orange flag everglades only. May/June 2016

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:34 pm

No current law in Florida but call this the SWAMPHUNTER provision!

If we as a group were progressive, we would "lobby" for legislation to require any and all vessels, vehicles, craft and unaccompanied device plying upon the waters of the State of Florida to display an American flag...diameter in excess of 216 cubic inches (12 inch x 18 inch minimum) at a vertical altitude not less than 8 ft high above the vessels resting waterline.

PROBLEM FUKING SOLVED :proud:

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:10 pm

Be careful what you ask for. 9 x 12 is fine. However, make all boats require the same equipment. Canoes, jon boats, mud boats, etc. Also, make all boats register w/ Fl #'s. Think about it. We pay for the ramps w/ our registration fees, but they get to use the ramps for free that we pay for. This is something that the FAA should look into. They have a lobbyist, put him/ her to work.
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:30 am

The flag requirement should not be "vessel specific". It should be "area specific".

Anywhere vegetation restricts vision, EVERYONE needs a flag.

This is a no brainier. This is going to cost a life (if it hasn't already) unless it becomes law.

This is not an airboat thing. If any 2 vessels collide and at least one is traveling at speed, people will get hurt or killed. Also, 10' isn't always enough!!!
Mark 7:9

swampfever
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swampfever » Sun May 01, 2016 8:39 am

mojoe wrote:The flag requirement should not be "vessel specific". It should be "area specific".

Anywhere vegetation restricts vision, EVERYONE needs a flag.

This is a no brainier. This is going to cost a life (if it hasn't already) unless it becomes law.

This is not an airboat thing. If any 2 vessels collide and at least one is traveling at speed, people will get hurt or killed. Also, 10' isn't always enough!!!
This ^^^

BDH
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BDH » Sun May 01, 2016 9:23 am

I never understand why other airboaters run such small flags? I guess it's not cool to fly a tall flag but I don't give a sh-t, whatever the full length they come in, that's what I use. I want to be seen.
As for kayakers or others having the right of way . I would tell them what I'm telling my 2 children that are just starting to drive....Right of way don't mean nothing to a deadman!
You can ignore the facts but you CAN NOT ignore the consequences you get from ignoring the facts!

Return to “Airboat Talk”