Beware Malabar ramp!!!

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Beware Malabar ramp!!!

Post by diamondback0320 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:18 pm

I'm really curious why the Leo's have a hard on for us airboaters at this ramp lately.. Let me start by saying I had a little run in bout month ago with bcso & in their opinion thought I may have had too many beers,yes I had a cpl but wasn't incoherent by any means but they had me call for a ride & I didn't have a problem with that whatsoever..OK ...but the way I was approached in my eyes was total BS!!!! ..things coulda been worse fer sure,anyhow been hearing few other stories since then bout same ramp & Sweetwater ramp where airboaters are being harassed & not just for drinking..I'm talking everything!! So I go to Malabar ramp to go for a ride bout 3pm & I'm back by bout 6pm,I pull up on the grassy hill to park & go get my truck like I've been doing for bout 4-5yrs & get backed in the slip & another boat pulls up to the bank & shuts off & I'm wondering why he didn't jump up on the hill like everyone else, I get loaded up & says they been giving out tickets for parking on that hill lately & I was like why..no signs nowhere saying anything bout not pulling up there & never has been..he's like I know 2 different boats got 395.00 tickets for it(WTF)1 boat from what I'm told come in after dark & was approached without warning out of the dark by 2 Leo's 1 each side of boat with guns drawn.. WTF.. Is wrong with the frikin airboating anymore,so much more shit they could b taking care of in town like catching theives or people who are doing drive by's killing innocent kids etc but no a man that wants to go have some peace & tranquility in life I guess is breaking the frikin law!!! :angry5: I guess we as Americans can't do much to enjoy life & get away from the in town crime & riff raff without breaking some kind of law..think this country sucks anymore!!!
Last edited by diamondback0320 on Wed May 11, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Beware Malabar ramp!!!

Post by Gary S » Wed May 11, 2016 6:30 am

Take pictures where boat was at and take it to court. Might want to check and see if any local laws have been broken.what was the tickets for?
I know at 3B there was a game girl giving tickets for launching off side of dike and not using ramp. Don't know anyone who got one but the information came from one of the ride operators at the ramp.

Skeeter-Gee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Skeeter-Gee » Wed May 11, 2016 6:58 am

Heres the thing , there has been alot of action in the marsh lately . Some involving alcohol . You better believe leos will be at ramps harassing the most popular vessels that use the ramps . All 3 agencys have stated that parking in the grass in a no no . You can nose your boat up to the grass and beach it but not high and dry . Its really not that big of a deal.To put things into perspective how many boats used loughton 5 years ago compared to now ? They know most airboaters enjoy frosty be beverages with there friends . If everyone behaves and the accidents settle down , johhny law will settle down . Just think bcso has a nice new hamant that is unmarked little 200 boat

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:35 am

You have to launch in the slip..no where else to launch but..when you come back there's a little grassy hill that we pull up on 20yrds outta the water & park fer maybe 5min..long enough to go & get the truck & back in the slip,I also pull around to this area when I dump off in the water so my boat is warming up while I park my truck & there is no signs at all that's my point,if you want people to abide by laws then put up cpl sivns that states you are not to pull up on the hill,$395.00 ticket I think is ridiculous, & from what I was told bout the incident with the Leo's that come up with guns drawn were in plain clothes after dark..good way to get shot!!! The alcohol part I understand.. If your being an idiot & ignorant OK & believe me there are a few that I've seen that act this way,far as the unmarked boat I think that's BS too,it's getting to the point you can't do anything to enjoy yourself anymore without consequences, alot of things I done round here as a boy you can't do anymore, so now they wonder why kids sit around playing video games..which I know alot is parents fault but just saying!!

jwoodl01
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jwoodl01 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:18 am

Sure seems to be a lot of bouncing around on the YES/NO decision to allow boats to pull up on the hill next to the ramps...

Since Lawton was opened, I've launched and done just as DB0320 has without an issue until last September when Hope, one the reserve BCSO officers approached me telling me that I was not allowed to do so. I informed him that he had been the first officer/official to state that, and that I had observed FWC, BCSO, and SJWMD folks do the same thing while I was there and had never been told otherwise.

He continued to tell me that I was in the wrong, even questioning my ability to operate an airboat at one point because some of the points i was trying to make for my case: 1. Only access point from 512 north along the river that wouldn't have a dry load area for airboats. 2. No solar lighting (unlike the pole along the gaurd rails up the hill) 3. Mass congestion come hunting season being as you only have 3 trailerable slots with a large influx of boats that would have to tie off and fight there way out between the docks to the canal. 4. I wasn't gonna put load my wife and child on my boat, which would take all of about 10 seconds to go under, and tie off to a floating dock in which there is a no "NO WAKE" zone established coming down the N/S canal.

That Monday, I called and spoke with the folks at SJWMD, not the patrolling lawmen, who actually has the say in the use of the dry area in question. At that time, Doug, the land manager had NO issue on how the ramp was being utilized. He stated as long as the boats pulled up no further than the posted sign south of the Ramp on the levee and no further west as not to impede any traffic that may use that levee for travel that everything would be fine and that he would notify the LEO's.

I have used that ramp weekly, many with FWC or BCSO present at the time, with nothing more than a conversation session and along I've went without a word said about pulling up on the hill.
PROUD MEMBER OF UNITED SPORTSMAN FOR TRADTIONAL HERITAGE

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:47 pm

Yeah remember when I wrote on how ALL air boaters should join one group and put up some real money and fight the discrimination law on airboats in Florida? Well everyone blew me off on it and everyone will eventually get used to all the new rules we will have to deal with. remember in Florida anyone CAN discriminate air boats and this means they can shut us down and will. Nobody fights and everyone gets screwed. Sorry for your lose but it will grow. :banghead:

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe » Wed May 11, 2016 6:07 pm

I've never been questioned about any thing at that ramp. I have herd about tickets but till now I didn't know who got them and no one could tell me any more about it. I was told the same thing that jwood was was told,as long as you don't block traffic,and don't go past the no trespassing sign, your good as per Doug the land manager for st.johns in this area.
If ya get a ticket for it,take it to court and fight it. If ya got that ticket and came in buzzed,count your self lucky you didn't get a BUI.
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

PhilDeez
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PhilDeez » Wed May 11, 2016 6:59 pm

I have heard that St. Johns is the one complaining about the airboats washing away the edge of the bank but who knows who really has an issue with it. I had a friend call his buddy who is a LEO and he said that airboats are not allowed to park on the grass. I hope this gets straightened out but in the meantime I guess I will be nosing my boat to the bank. I have also heard of multiple field sobriety checks from people coming into this ramp at night so keep that in mind when you are out late.

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw » Wed May 11, 2016 8:44 pm

:slap: this why I trailer to Lake Flourence in Cocoa and drop off in the road and down the canal I go :lol: and as soon as they flood that area to make it like the stick marsh, no airboats will be allowed in there, since you might scare the Bass away :fishing

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick » Wed May 11, 2016 10:14 pm

what statute are they quoting on the ticket.

jchovernut
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jchovernut » Thu May 12, 2016 12:44 am

I can't believe they built a ramp more or less specifically targeted towards airboats & didn't account for traditional launching methods, nor short-term 'parking!' Heck, even the myfwc site warns-off kicker boats!
Then, LEOs act all surprised & miffed when traditional airboat activity occurs...gotta love gubmn't!!

I've never been there, but it seems like a jump over the dike on the West side of the facility would cut-off a lot of motoring to get to the river.
SEVTEC Hovers: Prospector, Fan-Tastic, Vanguard; Weber Starcruiser SC4
http://www.hovernut.com
http://www.amphibiousmarine.com
http://www.sevteckits.com
Fan-Tastic! http://youtu.be/lwuosBSJw9Y
Great Alaska Hovercraft Adventure! http://youtu.be/tuPR8LCb7pY

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:53 am

Well it was the only designated Airboat facility in the county that I know of until last year.. Now everybody & their sister can launch there..now you got all kinds hanging out on the dock..doin drugs in parking lot late at night..& in front of the slips painted in the pavement it says do not block the ramp..but I've been there several times where vehicles are parked in the slip where ya can't get in,& pontoon your right b4 it's over with it'll b posted no airboats cause you might scare the birds & make em fly!!!

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe » Thu May 12, 2016 8:23 pm

Nah. That ramp was never intended as airboat only,those that think that are naive. They started on it in the 90s. And it's always been intended to be the next stick marsh 2.0 it's always been intended to be THE bass Capitol of the world. Indian and budget delays not to mention red tape and we have what we have.
I
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:33 am

Doesn't matter what the intentions were for..last 7yrs or so you could not take a motorized kicker boat in there till last summer,I hunted that area on a bicycle for 3 yrs until I was told by Sjrm that you could launch an Airboat there & use in designated area other than that only a canoe or non motorized boat could b launched!!! The point of the story was why all of a sudden their having a problem with pulling up on the hill!!!

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw » Sun May 15, 2016 7:43 am

:fishing If you haven't been down there in the last week the water is up a foot or better, it has begun, this morning a whole bunch of Bass Boats and Kicker Boats launching this morning and NOT one Airboat :stirpot: their ticket writing did the Job JMO, they have already knocked down one Dike to flood that area, so there is no hill to pull up on :lol: or you will be in the Road :dontknow: looks like sweet water is going to get busier :thumbleft:

Return to “Airboat Talk”