AC to car engine what am I doing?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

AC to car engine what am I doing?

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:18 pm

Never thought I would say this but I am looking at buying a car engine boat sure hope I am not screwing up? My 220 will go just about anywhere and I have decided not to sell it until I have had the car engine boat for enough time to decide if I screwed up or not. I am looking in the range of 14 ft by 8 ft with 500 or more hp with a 3 blade prop and gearbox. What do you guy's think am I screwing up? I am not afraid be honest as hell. :slap:

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: AC to car engine what am I doing?

Post by jopete » Tue May 31, 2016 7:47 pm

if u run the woods might want to go 7' wide.

500 hp minimum or u will not keep it long.

eskimoboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by eskimoboy » Tue May 31, 2016 7:57 pm

How fast does your 220 go

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Tue May 31, 2016 8:19 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote: Never thought I would say this but I am looking at buying a car engine boat sure hope I am not screwing up?
first tony480, now jeep, wtf is going on here?? next you'll be voting for a democrat!! :banghead: :stirpot:

once you convert, dont come back!! :toothy7: :salute:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

zz 502
Southern Airboat Member

Post by zz 502 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:33 pm

To each his own on the Ac or car motor. I say car motor all the way. I also agree on the width of your boat. I have a 15x7'6 and i run the wood when i want. Just wish it was 14' long. My dad had a 14x8 and it was too wide for the woods. The extra width made it a hassle. I have a big block 500hp and i love the tq. Only turn my boat 4100 2:1box with a 3bld K. My dad had a big cube small block close to 500hp on his and had to turn his 5200 2:68 box with a 3bld super wide. Had no problem loading them down and running the ground. You wont be disappointed. Just won't be as lite and agile as your ac boat..that is if your planing on building woods running ride boat. :old_glory:

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:39 pm

eskimoboy wrote:How fast does your 220 go
Never had it wide open for very long it goes pretty good will keep up with any stock 470 and actually gets on plane faster then most thats the only reson I have not put 470 cylinders on it.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:40 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:
jeepinocala1111 wrote: Never thought I would say this but I am looking at buying a car engine boat sure hope I am not screwing up?
first tony480, now jeep, wtf is going on here?? next you'll be voting for a democrat!! :banghead: :stirpot:

once you convert, dont come back!! :toothy7: :salute:
Do me a favor if I ever vote democrat come over and kick my ass and remind me why you did it. :proud:

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Tue May 31, 2016 8:52 pm

jopete wrote:if u run the woods might want to go 7' wide.

500 hp minimum or u will not keep it long.

I have a 14x8 yea it not the most mobile in the trees. Great for gator hunting or bow hunting nice platform on the water

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Tue May 31, 2016 9:19 pm

find somebody with a compareable one and go for a ride. that will help u out i bet!!!!

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick » Tue May 31, 2016 9:30 pm

AC for sure. Car motor? At least your still sliding that's what counts.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:41 pm

It's not even comparable...don't even waste your time holding on to the 220..sell it and put the money in your new boat. That cm will stomp a mudhole in the 220s ass. And do not put it on a 7' wide hull...go with the 8'

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid » Tue May 31, 2016 9:57 pm

Tony480 wrote:It's not even comparable...don't even waste your time holding on to the 220..sell it and put the money in your new boat. That cm will stomp a mudhole in the 220s ass. And do not put it on a 7' wide hull...go with the 8'
X2

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Tue May 31, 2016 10:08 pm

Ah . . . Finally . . . the voice of reason. 8) And from ' never-a-car-motor-Tony ', to boot. :D

After you abandon that 220 and get a couple months and upgrades the road,
you will start another thread titled "What the hell was I possibly thinking?". :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:30 am

I definitely would not get a 7 foot wide hull with a 500 HSP car motor and 3 blade prop. Too much torque roll. Maybe a 7.5. So what type of car motor and hull are you thinking about?
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:39 am

CarMotorBarge wrote:I definitely would not get a 7 foot wide hull with a 500 HSP car motor and 3 blade prop. Too much torque roll. Maybe a 7.5. So what type of car motor and hull are you thinking about?
I am looking at a couple of 14x8 aluminum diamondback open hull type. The lowest hp one is a 510hp Chevy ls something the other is just over 600hp but it is a wide deck over.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:47 am

jopete wrote:find somebody with a compareable one and go for a ride. that will help u out i bet!!!!
I am going to try that this weekend. Every car engine boat I see always look like they are going slow and the back is real low this is what scares me. But at the same time there is not much maintenance and you can get parts anywhere. It seems to be a draw except finding a real good car motor boat is easy compared to some ac engine that someone half assed and you are screwed. I have thought just find a 14x8 540 or 480 supercharged with a gearbox but you really do not know what the condition of that engine is it could have a ton of hours and run fine where car engines are cheap and to fine a newer one with low hours is pretty easy. I am screwed either way looking for a new boat it has to be 2009 to 2016 and a name brand.

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:07 am

Make sure you get an aluminum block. This will cut the weight down. I recommend also getting an ls motor. Also keep the rigging light.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by barhopper » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:49 am

A member over in Dunnellon, Armedic, put a 427 on a 15" gulf boat. It supposed to be a bad SOB. You might contact him about it.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:21 am

I run a stock 5.3 on a 14' Alumitec SS rigging 2:1Precision box and 81.5" 2 bld R. Does just about everything I need to do. We built a boat for a buddy that is a 5.3 Aluminum block on a heavy alumitec deckover with a 2.55 ballistic and a 3 bld maximus set at 9.5 degrees. My prop is set the number 1 mark. Both motor and carbed. They would run better with EFI I believe just was not comfortable with that at the time. Next boat will be EFI for sure. Also both motors had over 100k on them before we put them on a boat and now have over 300hrs on one and 400 on the other. they are usually run fairly hard loaded down for fishing.

Both boats run good. I think my hull with a 2.55 or 2.68 with around 400hp would go any where I need and then some. Change the motor out to a 6.0 with top end upgrades and EFI and it would be a stout combination for basically stock. Building another boat now 16' diamondback (not my favorite hull) with a 2.55 ballistic and 6.0 truck motor. He want to use the Holley HP EFI. Should run decent.

So 500hp would be great but not necessary then again who doesn't like more HP. Also iron to aluminum block is worth about 60lbs. Looks at the price difference in a 6.0 vortec motor and an LS2 motor.

All depends on your budget, I live around your area if you want to take a ride in a budget built CM boat ain't nothing special but runs good for what it is.

Just my 2 cents

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:41 am

jeepinocala1111 wrote: Every car engine boat I see always look like they are going slow
that's not an optical illusion, just a fact :stirpot:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:43 am

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
jopete wrote:find somebody with a compareable one and go for a ride. that will help u out i bet!!!!
I am going to try that this weekend. Every car engine boat I see always look like they are going slow and the back is real low this is what scares me. But at the same time there is not much maintenance and you can get parts anywhere. It seems to be a draw except finding a real good car motor boat is easy compared to some ac engine that someone half assed and you are screwed. I have thought just find a 14x8 540 or 480 supercharged with a gearbox but you really do not know what the condition of that engine is it could have a ton of hours and run fine where car engines are cheap and to fine a newer one with low hours is pretty easy. I am screwed either way looking for a new boat it has to be 2009 to 2016 and a name brand.
I went with a GSO 480. And I am super happy with my choice. But Your comment on not knowing the condition is definitely right. You better get it for a good price and plan on putting money into to it right away with a refresh job. I bought mine and it was sacked out. I had to put 3k into the motor right off the bat. But know it runs like a beast and I just smile when I see people stuck.
But CM is all about setup just like everything else. We had a stock jegs crate motor with 400hp with a 2.68 and a 82" three blade super wide and it would go anywhere u pointed it with ease.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480,10 blade warp drive

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:53 pm

One thing to remember if for any reason the boat usually weigh more. I could pick up the front on my bud 520 ultralight and turn his boat around not anywhere close to doing that on any of my car motor boats.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:09 pm

terrible ted wrote:One thing to remember if for any reason the boat usually weigh more. I could pick up the front on my bud 520 ultralight and turn his boat around not anywhere close to doing that on any of my car motor boats.
Ted, those who have followed your opinions on CM boats know that you have had an all around terrible experience with them.

However, I would like to point out that there was a post where I believe water thunder weighed up a gearbox and all aluminum LS (no radiator) and the CM combo was lighter than all 6 cyl aircraft engines weighed of which there were 3 or 4.

As for hull weight, it's all in the setup as mentioned before. My light setup will 180 real quick if you give the front rake a nice push while on flat ground.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:22 pm

Hey Jeep,
I'd use a pack of rabid mice in a squirrel cage to power my boat if it would get me out in the Glades.
You can join the happy folks that give the AV gas pump the ole' #1 sign. :thebirdman:

A quote from Dreamers, Schemers and Scalawags; Chapter 28 pg 206:
" One reason for the Gladesman's pride in their airboats is the deeply held belief that the airboat is peculiarly their thing, a gritty, common-sense, down-to-earth-and-water contraption born of Depression necessity. Or was it?."

Build what your heart desires.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:56 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
I got just what you need!

Return to “Airboat Talk”