AC to car engine what am I doing?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: AC to car engine what am I doing?

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Tony480 wrote:
jeepinocala1111 wrote:
jopete wrote:find somebody with a compareable one and go for a ride. that will help u out i bet!!!!
I am going to try that this weekend. Every car engine boat I see always look like they are going slow and the back is real low this is what scares me. But at the same time there is not much maintenance and you can get parts anywhere. It seems to be a draw except finding a real good car motor boat is easy compared to some ac engine that someone half assed and you are screwed. I have thought just find a 14x8 540 or 480 supercharged with a gearbox but you really do not know what the condition of that engine is it could have a ton of hours and run fine where car engines are cheap and to fine a newer one with low hours is pretty easy. I am screwed either way looking for a new boat it has to be 2009 to 2016 and a name brand.
I got just what you need!

A jug of Moonshine? :cheers:

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:53 pm

terrible ted wrote:One thing to remember if for any reason the boat usually weigh more. I could pick up the front on my bud 520 ultralight and turn his boat around not anywhere close to doing that on any of my car motor boats.
I plan on an engine that will never need the nose picked up and turned by hand. No way am I getting a lunker that gets stuck. it has to have way more then enough hp to get out of bad places.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:46 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
terrible ted wrote:One thing to remember if for any reason the boat usually weigh more. I could pick up the front on my bud 520 ultralight and turn his boat around not anywhere close to doing that on any of my car motor boats.
I plan on an engine that will never need the nose picked up and turned by hand. No way am I getting a lunker that gets stuck. it has to have way more then enough hp to get out of bad places.
12' and under is AC territory. 14' and over is CM territory. 13' can go either way. Of course plenty of builds have gone outside those lines and work well, but generally speaking that is what I have seen to work best .If you want a 14' go CM.

Not sure where you ride, but there will always be an occasion where you have to spin the boat around. A log in the trail, a rock you almost hit, or just some nasty ground; they will all need to be spun around at some point. If you build a big heavy barge you better have friends around when that day comes. IMO airboating is different than a lot of powersports with regard to power to weight ratios. In most powersports weight can be offset with more power, and to some extent that is true with airboating too. But with this sport, I think less weight and size is better. That's why so many airboaters have two boats...a bigger "family" boat, and a smaller "fun" boat. The bigger boats can't do and go everywhere the smaller boats can. Personally, I have a 12' 0-540 Thurman that can fit anywhere I want, I can break it free if she gets stuck even when I'm alone, and I can fit 4 people on when necessary...but that's just me.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:47 pm

scottyroll wrote:
Ted, those who have followed your opinions on CM boats know that you have had an all around terrible experience with them.

However, I would like to point out that there was a post where I believe water thunder weighed up a gearbox and all aluminum LS (no radiator) and the CM combo was lighter than all 6 cyl aircraft engines weighed of which there were 3 or 4.

As for hull weight, it's all in the setup as mentioned before. My light setup will 180 real quick if you give the front rake a nice push while on flat ground.

I have had no luck and none of my friend have either, me and my friends all ran car motors then we got old and wise.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:57 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
I picked his boat up and move up to an oak tree it had plenty of power. I was messing with him at camp. I know what it takes to get a blown car motor back to the water.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:13 pm

terrible ted wrote:
scottyroll wrote:
Ted, those who have followed your opinions on CM boats know that you have had an all around terrible experience with them.

However, I would like to point out that there was a post where I believe water thunder weighed up a gearbox and all aluminum LS (no radiator) and the CM combo was lighter than all 6 cyl aircraft engines weighed of which there were 3 or 4.

As for hull weight, it's all in the setup as mentioned before. My light setup will 180 real quick if you give the front rake a nice push while on flat ground.

I have had no luck and none of my friend have either, me and my friends all ran car motors then we got old and wise.
It is a frustrating decision and everyone on here is making it so much faster to decide of the options I want if a car engine boat is it. I will admit reading all the comments i am a bit scared to sell my ac boat so it is staying for a while.

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hambone79 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:23 pm

If the funds are no problem keep your AC boat for woods , hunting or by yourself and build the car boat for a ride boat family, fishing boat . I know if I could afford that I would .

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:23 pm

Tony480 wrote:
jeepinocala1111 wrote:
jopete wrote:find somebody with a comparable one and go for a ride. that will help u out i bet!!!!
I am going to try that this weekend. Every car engine boat I see always look like they are going slow and the back is real low this is what scares me. But at the same time there is not much maintenance and you can get parts anywhere. It seems to be a draw except finding a real good car motor boat is easy compared to some ac engine that someone half assed and you are screwed. I have thought just find a 14x8 540 or 480 supercharged with a gearbox but you really do not know what the condition of that engine is it could have a ton of hours and run fine where car engines are cheap and to fine a newer one with low hours is pretty easy. I am screwed either way looking for a new boat it has to be 2009 to 2016 and a name brand.
I got just what you need!
There you go, right there. Check one out, then make your own assessment.
It ain't like he's half way around the world from you.
Tony is the guy you should talk to anyway. . . He was where you are now.

Listen to him, even if you don't listen to anybody else.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:36 am

terrible ted wrote:
jeepinocala1111 wrote:
I picked his boat up and move up to an oak tree it had plenty of power. I was messing with him at camp. I know what it takes to get a blown car motor back to the water.
Yeah, it takes a car motor boat to pull an airboat back to the water. For some reason when an airboat is broke down, the A/C boats step back and get the car motors to do the pulling.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:30 pm

I haven't known or seen anyone who built a rank ass car motor boat ever want to go back to an ac...I know I'm not. Gas is cheaper,oil is cheaper and easier to find and it burns less fuel and twice the horsepower. It's not rocket science.

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:48 pm

I agree with that for sure. But for me to build a CM that would have the power that a GSO push's out. I just don't have the money for that kinda build.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480,10 blade warp drive

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:10 pm

444kyle wrote:I agree with that for sure. But for me to build a CM that would have the power that a GSO push's out. I just don't have the money for that kinda build.
Yeah now find a good 480 supercharged with a gear box? Nope it is harder to find a good 480 done right then a car engine boat. I looked at a nice 480 charged with a gear box but the price was way too high. 37000.00 for a used motor that I am TOLD is good the rest was new.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:25 pm

What's your price range

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:39 am

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
444kyle wrote:I agree with that for sure. But for me to build a CM that would have the power that a GSO push's out. I just don't have the money for that kinda build.
Yeah now find a good 480 supercharged with a gear box? Nope it is harder to find a good 480 done right then a car engine boat. I looked at a nice 480 charged with a gear box but the price was way too high. 37000.00 for a used motor that I am TOLD is good the rest was new.

From what I seen you don't want to go cheap. The only car motor I would think about is a LS Built by someone like W Thunder don't go cheap.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:03 am

Don't worry about going cheap with LS.

Granted it's not a sure thing but plenty of people getting by just fine with their $2k junk yard engines including me.

Parts are cheap and so is 87 octane.

Met a guy a few weeks ago who showed me he had 600 hours on a 5.3 iron block. The thing came out of the truck with over 100k miles on it.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:41 am

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
You can find some decent GSO 480 for under $18k Then you would need to spend some money on a rebuild. You should be able to get a boat and rebuild the motor for under 20k

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Better hope that blower seal doesn't go out! $$$$$$$

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:40 pm

had mine go cost me $14.95 actually I think it was less I think I bought something with it.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:15 pm

You didn't buy that carbon seal or whatever it is...it's like $750 and they don't make them anymore

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:45 pm

yeh but the Hyundai axle seal is under $10 and napa has it in stock. has lasted a year and a half with no issues. I will put 75 of those in before I will pay $750 on a seal

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:58 pm

444kyle wrote:
jeepinocala1111 wrote:
You can find some decent GSO 480 for under $18k Then you would need to spend some money on a rebuild. You should be able to get a boat and rebuild the motor for under 20k

My budget is a bit higher then that but I still can't find much. Looked at one at gto but they want 37000.00 for it.

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bdriller » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:25 pm

how bout a nearly new 16 marty bray 460 hp mass motor with 2 year warranty all stainless rigging 2.68 gearbox title would be in your name as first buyer?

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:26 pm

I'll sell you mine....

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Shoot for the right price both mine and my brothers GSO are for sale.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:10 pm

http://www.gtoairboats.com/component/vi ... l?Itemid=0

This is the one I want just a bit to high priced.

Return to “Airboat Talk”