Stuck throttle law suit

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
mwood7800
Southern Airboat Member

Stuck throttle law suit

Post by mwood7800 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:28 pm

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Stuck throttle law suit

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:41 pm

I doubt that he will have a case. There are to many factors including maintenance and inspection or any safety concerned areas of your boat.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:06 pm

i'm guessing he filled out his pre-trip inspection sheet? lol guess he couldn't just turn off the key switch or mags if a/c boat? sounds like a squirrell driving way over his head.
nobody's fault but his own.

of course who really knows without all the facts.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:12 pm

I run 3 throttle return springs, had one break 2 weeks ago.

One on pedal, two on carb linkage with one front pull the other rear pull.

Metal today is not of the same quality it was 10 or more years ago. In fact today we had a NAPA hose clamp fracture. A clean break for no obvious reason other than metal quality.

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by emmitt Kelly » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:28 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:I run 3 throttle return springs, had one break 2 weeks ago.

One on pedal, two on carb linkage with one front pull the other rear pull.

Metal today is not of the same quality it was 10 or more years ago. In fact today we had a NAPA hose clamp fracture. A clean break for no obvious reason other than metal quality.
Double clamp all water hoses...got to have the back up systems...treat it like an airplane
1999 Diamondback 502 marine Power
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:02 pm

I certainly hope and pray the wheelchair in the header was media hyper-drama
and does not mean that the brother was hurt that bad, that permanently.

The way it was reported, this whole incident reads like it was self inflicted due a lack of situational awareness.

". . . According to the complaint, on May 22, 2015, while Helmstetter was on a bow fishing charter trip, he attempted to slow the airboat when entering a small pond in the vicinity of Hopedale. The suit says the engine throttle stayed fully open, forcing him to turn the airboat hard to the right in an attempt to avoid the marsh bank, which caused him severe injuries when he was thrown from the boat. . . "

I think that second sentence contains more illogical deductions than I've read in one sentence.

It is to bad that when "the engine throttle stayed fully open" it did not occur to him that he should hit the kill switch or turn off the key. :idea:

How was it that when "the engine throttle stayed fully open" it somehow "forced him to turn the airboat hard to the right"? What is the mechanical linkage that exists that mandated this sequence of events? :scratch: That does not remotely make sense.

It is unfortunate that when he "turned the airboat hard to the right in an attempt to avoid the marsh bank " it did not end up being the lesser of two evils, since making a hard turn at full throttle is ill advised and one would perceive an airboat of being capable of traversing a marsh bank. You would like to think that a marsh bank may have been useful to slow forward momentum. :dontknow:

This reads like another example of why insurance rates are so unreasonable. You will note that they are going for a jury trial right out of the gate. It's almost as if they figure somebody on a jury will be sympathetic and/or they will get their money in any case. This is also why so many engine manufacturers don't warrant airboat applications, and why they no longer weld Blue Iron into usable sized pieces.

*Edit* To clarify, my response was based on what the media reported and the actions taken by attorneys. It is quite possible that things happened differently and we all know you can't always believe everything the media feeds you. It is a possibility that Mr. Helmstetter is being victimized by them both for their own benefit. One can only hope for his sake, that his attorneys are not the ones that composed that press release.
Last edited by Deano on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

RazorsEdge
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by RazorsEdge » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:07 am

If this is the Michael A. Helmstetter in the suit, looks like he has been around airboats for a while.
And looks like if this is the Michael A. Helmstetter it the suit he has some nice high dollar boats.

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainMikesBo ... gCharters/

http://www.captainmikesbowfishingcharters.com/

Hard to say what happened.

But sounds like a quick turn of the ignition switch or a kill switch would have saved the day. JMO

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:15 am

RazorsEdge wrote:If this is the Michael A. Helmstetter in the suit, looks like he has been around airboats for a while.
And looks like if this is the Michael A. Helmstetter it the suit he has some nice high dollar boats.

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainMikesBo ... gCharters/

http://www.captainmikesbowfishingcharters.com/

Hard to say what happened.

But sounds like a quick turn of the ignition switch or a kill switch would have saved the day. JMO
If he is a captain then he should have known to just shut the thing off?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:19 am

10-4 on the double clamps we had that done.

Here is a pic of the break clearly a metal failure.
Attachments
broken NAPA clamp - 542.JPG
Broken NAPA clamp-542
broken NAPA clamp - 542.JPG (40.96 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

Return to “Airboat Talk”