Starter Bolts came loose.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Des Moines Boater
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Starter Bolts came loose.

Post by Des Moines Boater » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:46 am

I have less than 10 hours since I replaced the starter. I guess I need to use Lock-tite on them. Yesterday my wife and I are tied up near shore fishing when we see a man on the other side of the river floating down stream, struggling and waving for help. I untie and start the boat to go save the guy, but the starter just spins. Great. I check the starter and see it is loose and missing one bolt. I hold it in by hand and have my wife start the boat. It fires and off we go to save the guy. He said he slipped off the bank and the current was too strong for him to get to shore.

So, what do you guys use to secure your starter? I know I will be checking mine on every stop. I haven't noticed any unusual vibration.
13' 6 Lazer, 383 SBC 425 hp, 2.7 Ballistic, 3 blade 80 NGR

JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Starter Bolts came loose.

Post by JCGator » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:34 am

My starter bolts kept working themselves loose so i took out the standard bolts for the starter bracket and replaced them with the allen key head style for easier access and safety wire. Haven't had any issues since.
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Starter Bolts came loose.

Post by goldhunter_2 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:57 am

I'd check/re-torque all bolts the first 30 min, first hour,5th hour, 10th hour that may be a little over kill but after that it should be good

locktite an a star washer work pretty good most the time , if you still have the issue you can either run a plate with tabs to fold up to stop bolt form backing out OR I'd drill the head and run SS safety wire.

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Return to “Airboat Talk”