Pro's & Con's to a Deck Over Hull

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
abovethelaw
Southern Airboat Member

Pro's & Con's to a Deck Over Hull

Post by abovethelaw »

Have a older cottonmouth hull now looking to upgrade. Looking for opinions
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Pro's & Con's to a Deck Over Hull

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

abovethelaw wrote:Have a older cottonmouth hull now looking to upgrade. Looking for opinions
I have asked this same thing many times with the same results. What are you using it for? There are many types of deckover hulls.
abovethelaw
Southern Airboat Member

Post by abovethelaw »

thinking it may be a little more safe from sinking. We just use it for riding, hopefully in the marsh. No more deep water for me. lol
may do some river fishing from it
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

abovethelaw wrote:thinking it may be a little more safe from sinking. We just use it for riding, hopefully in the marsh. No more deep water for me. lol
may do some river fishing from it
If you are considering a sled type don't even consider deep water. A deeper deckover is fine anywhere. Have you considered a 14x8 fiberglass deep hull?
CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge »

A sled will do fine in deep water. People saying they don't have never owned one.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

CarMotorBarge wrote:A sled will do fine in deep water. People saying they don't have never owned one.
I have seen a deep deckover do fine pretty much anywhere but a sled thin sled I don't know but have been told by way too many people they don't do good?
JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by JCGator »

CarMotorBarge wrote:A sled will do fine in deep water. People saying they don't have never owned one.
X2

Glades "sled" in my opinion

Pros:

keeps all the leaves, sticks, critters out of the hull. deck keeps the water out when you dip a corner, wont sink when take a wave/wake over the transom/side/bow or idle up to a steep bank or tussock. As a pretty cautious operator, my sled was fine for a beginner boat but they are a little more tippy feeling in deep water and should be operated slow in tight trails cause you can slide sidways for a mile.

Cons:
less storage, cant see how much water is in the bilge, heavier when compared to an open hull of similar construction, less access under deck for repairs and replacement of components, have to have a shorter propeller or taller center of center of gravity (tippy), the squared hull shape wants to pinball back and forth in tight trails made by boats with a more rounded shape i.e. fiberglass hull, the glades style sled likes to be kept light mine becomes a pig if i have just a little too much gear.

My deckover/sled is a great all around boat even for a beginner just can't be stupid! thats more important than any hull design over another.
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs
kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

JCGator wrote: just can't be stupid! thats more important than any hull design over another.
x2 bro!!!! :thumbleft:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.
462kwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 462kwells »

A deck over is like one of those little red and white fishing bobbers when water washes over the boat it pops back up when a open hull takes on water its on the bottom its a no brainer, the question is "what's in your wallet"
lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick »

I have a 14x7 Al David 540 boat I go anywhere deep shallow tight trails just drive the boat don't be scared.
lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick »

13x7 sorry type it wrong should have read before submit
lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat »

Pros; stays much cleaner....much easier to walk around...looks cooler!

cons; IF it springs a leak, you might not know till its too late. Id just put in an auto bilge.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

lariat wrote:Pros; stays much cleaner....much easier to walk around...looks cooler!

cons; IF it springs a leak, you might not know till its too late. Id just put in an auto bilge.
Yeah an auto bilge and a backup.
CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge »

This is a perfect example of the type of comment made by people who have never owned a deckover. Something is wrong if you can't feel water sloshing around inside your boat. Doesn't take much to change how the boat feels and handles. A lot of sleds don't even have a bilge.
Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow »

What difference does deep water make, anything over 2 ft deep all hulls that sink will be under water, the only difference deeper water makes is the difficulty in recovery and the motor being under water. :dontknow: :rebel: PS I have a sled
lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat »

CarMotorBarge wrote:This is a perfect example of the type of comment made by people who have never owned a deckover. Something is wrong if you can't feel water sloshing around inside your boat. Doesn't take much to change how the boat feels and handles. A lot of sleds don't even have a bilge.
I assume you were directing this at my comment......I own two now!
CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge »

lariat wrote:
CarMotorBarge wrote:This is a perfect example of the type of comment made by people who have never owned a deckover. Something is wrong if you can't feel water sloshing around inside your boat. Doesn't take much to change how the boat feels and handles. A lot of sleds don't even have a bilge.
This comment wasn't directed at you. Sorry that it looked that way. It was directed at all of the critics that don't own a deckover.
lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat »

CarMotorBarge wrote:
lariat wrote:
This comment wasn't directed at you. Sorry that it looked that way. It was directed at all of the critics that don't own a deckover.
:thumbleft:
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

I say you cant be scared of deep water we have ride deep some time. I just carry to much gear in my boat deck over take that away. As for sinking you sink a deck over if you don't keep an eye on your hull. Meaning Auto bilge pumps and check for leaks. Others wise a higher sided boat.

Nope i cant tell how much is sloshing around just there some sloshing around and by then it may be to late.
KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 »

All I have ever owned is full decks, I have never had a bilge pump in any of them, you get what you pay for, Thats why I stick to Al David boats. Never had an issue with running in deep water either. Everyone has an opinion, it's all in what you want. I didn't check my boat before going out once, and it was outside in the rain, I knew right away there was water in it, and put it on the trailer and drained it out. If you can't tell that there's water in your boat maybe you shouldn't be driving one.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

Return to “Airboat Talk”