Can it be done?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Can it be done?

Post by mojoe »

St. John's river to Kissimmee river valley?

I have a non airboat buddy who just asked me to take him for a run through the Kissimmee chain, over to the St. John's, and up to the jolly gator. I know it would take days and loads of gas, but can it be done without riding private land or a ditch next to a road or some bs like that.

Can it be done (reasonably) and has anyone done it?
Mark 7:9

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Can it be done?

Post by lorick »

that would be really cool if you can figure out the route have a support team along the way. you know food ice BEER. lot's of BEER. oh and a few day's off work.

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac »

Not speaking as an expert, but I believe they're two completely separate river basins. I dont
think they are connected anywhere. :scratch:
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

K-mac is correct, The St Johns flows north, the Kissimmee flows south and they do not connect anywhere. Sorry!

Oh wait, there is a way but I don't know if ya'll can drink that much beer. It's a bit of a ride and will require a truckload of beer and a tanker full of gas.

Start out at the kissimmee boat ramp, follow the Kissimmee chain and river south to Lake Okeechobee. Take a left and follow the shoreline until you reach the St Lucie Canal. Take another left and follow the canal until you reach the Atlantic Intercoastal Waterway. Follow that north to Jacksonville where you'll make another left into the St Johns river and follow that south until you reach the Jolly Gator. (about 600 miles more or less)

No thanks needed, just let me know when you arrive at the Jolly Gator and I'll meet you there and you can buy me a beer. Have a great trip.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
Last edited by skinnypockets on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

Can you get to lake o then out to the ocean then to J-vill ? Other wise it just a little asphalt you have to run.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

I like the intercostal to Jaxonville idea, but if were going like that, why not make a right to the gulf and loop around the Everglades before you head north!!

I'm taking this as a tentative "no"

I know they are 2 basins with a ridge between them, but my buddy said he has spoke with 2 different people who have done it. They said high water necessary. My first guess was they were full of it. My second guess was they ran the ditch next to 60. But if anybody knows a REASONABLE way to do it I figured this was the place to ask.
Mark 7:9

zion
Southern Airboat Member

Post by zion »

skinnypockets wrote: Take another left and follow the canal until you reach the Atlantic Intercoastal Waterway.
I live in N. Mississippi. Am 60yo and I cant remember having heard of"Intracoastal Waterway" :dontknow:

boatair
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by boatair »

No unless you want to brake a few laws and a bad ass boat with really thick polymer

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

zion wrote:
skinnypockets wrote: Take another left and follow the canal until you reach the Atlantic Intercoastal Waterway.
I live in N. Mississippi. Am 60yo and I cant remember having heard of"Intracoastal Waterway" :dontknow:

From Texas to Boston. I did not know it was that long

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracoastal_Waterway

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

mojoe wrote:I like the intercostal to Jaxonville idea, but if were going like that, why not make a right to the gulf and loop around the Everglades before you head north!!

I'm taking this as a tentative "no"

I know they are 2 basins with a ridge between them, but my buddy said he has spoke with 2 different people who have done it. They said high water necessary. My first guess was they were full of it. My second guess was they ran the ditch next to 60. But if anybody knows a REASONABLE way to do it I figured this was the place to ask.
Another obsticle would be how to get across the turnpike at YeeHaw Junction. There's very few ditches along hwy 60 through YeeHaw unless you do like boatair said, ( brake a few laws with a bad ass boat with really thick polymer ). Fifty years ago it might have been possible knowing some of the good ole boys that lived out that way but I can't imagine getting away with it now!

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

terrible ted wrote:
zion wrote:

From Texas to Boston. I did not know it was that long

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracoastal_Waterway[/quote

I knew it went up to Boston and was talking to a lady a few years ago who's uncle was the first and only man to run an airboat from Palm Beach County Fl up to Boston on the Atlantic International Waterway but had no idea it went all the way to texas.

I can't remember the mans name that made that trip but if one of our Texas brothers is up to a challenge, here's your chance to break his record! :D

Return to “Airboat Talk”