Speedometer on an airboat?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Speedometer on an airboat?

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:41 pm

What are people using? Gps?

fhp6
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Speedometer on an airboat?

Post by fhp6 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:39 pm

GPS works great on mine. :old_glory:
:old_glory: FHP6
Citrus County Airboat Alliance (Member)
"USMC"
:florida:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:40 pm

GPS is about as good as it gets. GPS actually reads the speed over the ground and includes water currents when on the water. So actual speed over the surface of the water may be different than indicated. There are some hand held anemometers on line but they only tell air speed. The little finger off the transom type speedo from power boats is unlikely to last long on an airboat. This last one only tells the speed over the surface of the water so land speed or distance covered may be different than indicated for surface navigation.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:11 pm

I have an app on my iPhone that's actually pretty accurate. :rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

fladan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fladan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:40 pm

MotionX gps is a great app that also can track your trip.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:57 pm

My Garmin 640 with the dual processor works like a champ and was cheap for all the features you get.

I run the automobile mode inland and it displays a full map, track line and speed reading. If you reset the trip meter it will record the miles you travel and top speed. The unit is WAAS enabled so it gives almost instant results. You want a WAAS enabled for speed otherwise it is a wide span average and your never in the moment.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:38 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:My Garmin 640 with the dual processor works like a champ and was cheap for all the features you get.

I run the automobile mode inland and it displays a full map, track line and speed reading. If you reset the trip meter it will record the miles you travel and top speed. The unit is WAAS enabled so it gives almost instant results. You want a WAAS enabled for speed otherwise it is a wide span average and your never in the moment.
That is a nice gps I may possibly get that one just because it would be great for area I've never been through for getting back. Not cheap though.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:47 pm

It was a steal for what you get Jeep.
The 640 is a discontinued unit but I love the screen and features.

The box is full with 2 mounts, cords and unit is loaded with a Garmin Ocean / Gulf chart that is awesome for coastal navigation.
Think it is now $379 at the Garmin factory outlet store.

I paid $310 for mine in June but the price appears to have gone up.

mwood7800
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mwood7800 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:48 pm

A free mph app on your phone is as accurate as any gps.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:01 am

Few months ago several boats were reported going down, PK lost both his folks and I decided that my cell phone was a life line and is to critical to keep out exposed. So it is in an OtterBox case and then inside a second clear bag type waterproof case on a lanyard. If your on my boat we wear the self inflatable PFDs for deep water and with that in mind the Garmin 640 seemed like a prudent choice.

Sniper feel free to weigh in your thoughts

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:41 am

Most areas I rid there's no need. If you put a simple GPS- fish finder in they generally can display speed. It may be beneficial to know if you in 1 inch or 2 inches of water.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:27 pm

I started off with a old non WASS hand held it was slow and not to useful for a speedometer application.
Found myself in a lot of remote places where cell service sucked and upgraded to a fairly decent hand held with plotter. It was around $250 worked decent but was to small to really see the screen without stopping.
Found the Garmin 640 clearance priced for $310 with a box full of extras included. Marine mount, power cord, cover, computer cable and vehicle mount. It has an internal antenna and took about 20 min to install on my gauge console. Love the thing best deal out there. It's not a fish finder it is a dual processor WASS enabled navigation system. Speedometer is instant and records top speed in a data field. It's so accurate it goes to a tenth of a MPH if your interested in recording speed runs. Will also allow for a trip meter to log miles traveled.

fhp6
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by fhp6 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:44 pm

I purchased the Garmin 640 based on what I read on this site. Mount it below and to the right of my right leg using the RAM mount system. Easy to view when running. Great piece of equipment! I still carry my cell for emergency. :proud:
"USMC"

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:05 pm

fhp6 wrote:I purchased the Garmin 640 based on what I read on this site. Mount it below and to the right of my right leg using the RAM mount system. Easy to view when running. Great piece of equipment! I still carry my cell for emergency. :proud:
I see it for 379 I am going to search around for one.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:49 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Yep a Garmin 640 it is not the best money can buy but I challenge anyone to find a better band for the buck!

I paid $310 delivered but the Garmin Outlet price went up since then to $379, the deal you found at $289 is awesome.

fhp6
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by fhp6 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:51 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:Is this the one you have?

http://www.tigergps.com/garmingpsmap640 ... ageReviews
Yes sir! That is a great price. You will still need to purchase the US or Southeast Inland Lakes which comes on a sim card. Once you have that installed it is awesome! :proud:
"USMC"

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:00 pm

You actually don't have to purchase anything else. What I found is that if you are running inland swamps that if you shift it to "automobile" mode it works really well. It's not a perfect unit but with the dual processor it gives you the ability to test the vehicle mode and see if you like it.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:12 am

I've got the garman 650T mounted on my dash, and very happy with it, however with my boat down from last august to last week, havn't had much use out of it. need to figure out how to work it and get the most from it. I know I can swap it easily from boat to atv to truck once I get more mounts for it, for not its on the boat. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:57 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:You actually don't have to purchase anything else. What I found is that if you are running inland swamps that if you shift it to "automobile" mode it works really well. It's not a perfect unit but with the dual processor it gives you the ability to test the vehicle mode and see if you like it.
I bought a refurbished from garmin with 4 year warranty for 340 not bad with 2 day shipping.

PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PAINKILLER » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:07 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Few months ago several boats were reported going down, PK lost both his folks and I decided that my cell phone was a life line and is to critical to keep out exposed. So it is in an OtterBox case and then inside a second clear bag type waterproof case on a lanyard. If your on my boat we wear the self inflatable PFDs for deep water and with that in mind the Garmin 640 seemed like a prudent choice.

Sniper feel free to weigh in your thoughts
Momma had her phone in a water proof case in a fanny pack /daddys was in his pocket both worked when I got them /momma drown because she had waders on and daddy drown looking for her

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TAKING ABOUT THEM
MATTHEW 25:35-45 LS 406 82 4bld WaterWalker falcon 2.68 ox box
LS 427 80 3 Bld WaterWalker Maximus 2.68 ox box :rebel:

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:13 am

You don't really need a speedo on an airboat do you? :scratch:

If you look at your passengers and they look anything like this.... I think it would be fair to say..... :thumbleft:

you are going pretty fast :shock: :lol: :salute:

CAUTION: This post contains 'attempted humor' :roll: :dontknow:
Attachments
high speed passengersLs.jpg
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:48 am

I always thought thats how passengers was supposed to look. Of course some of us run solo, but maybe thats the case for a mirror instead of the GPS. Love these money saving tips from down under ! Thanks Cactus ! :stirpot: :lol:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:25 am

Whitebear wrote:I always thought thats how passengers was supposed to look. Of course some of us run solo, but maybe thats the case for a mirror instead of the GPS. Love these money saving tips from down under ! Thanks Cactus ! :stirpot: :lol:
Yes, a mirror is all that is needed for solo.... this is an example of a decent cruising speed into a headwind :wink:

The padded sunglasses was because it was skeeter season 8)

If you are being overtaken by bugs.....

you aint going very fast :salute:

So, there you have it.... the environmentally friendly. patent pending, airboat speed system :thumbleft: At a once of price of $9,999,99 with 6 free steak knives :P
Attachments
wind face s.jpg
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Bud

The 640 is an easy swap from car to boat my box had all the mounts. It sort of just sits down in the base and top latches into the marine mount.

The marine mount hard wires and actually is so advanced it will allow for a VHF Distress full interface if that is an Alaska desire.
If you don't want that then it is simple enough to ignore that part of the process. The auto mount is a cigarette plug power source.
An easy install

Return to “Airboat Talk”