JUST GOT BIT BY COTTONMOUTH!!!!!

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Hawt-Dawg-87
Southern Airboat Member

JUST GOT BIT BY COTTONMOUTH!!!!!

Postby Hawt-Dawg-87 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:13 pm

IM PISSED!!! I'm in the market for buying a new airboat hull, so I call Cottonmouth and ask how much a 12' hull weighs and the SOB who answered says, "IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT WEIGHT, CALL SOMEBODY ELSE TO BUILD IT FOR YOU!" and then hung up on me! I called back 4 times and the coward kept forwarding my calls. Any airboater out there is concerned about weight, so I don't feel out of place for asking that. I will never buy a Cottonmouth hull, new or used, ever in my life.What a jerk... :angry5: :violent1: :?: :banghead:

gator7272
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: JUST GOT BIT BY COTTONMOUTH!!!!!

Postby gator7272 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Hmmm, he obviously doesn't need the business, must be nice.
11.5 X 7.5 Alumitech
2.0 Ecotec LTG
2.38:1 Ballistic
3 Blade Whirlwind 2.0

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Two questions immediately come to mind:

1) what else was said by both parties before it went bad?

2) what DOES a cottonmouth weigh?
Mark 7:9

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Dont hate him he probably had a bad day and has everyone asking about weight only to know his competitors will lie about weight just to sell a hull. What ever he told you the next person you call will say much less. I feel bad 1st time ever I was very short with someone today on the phone that has called me a few times about gear ratios. People ask you a 100 questions then ask somebody else then call back challenging your answer then you answer a hundred more questions then they call back about a chart or something. I have never been as blunt as the hull builder but I can see how some people can act like that. Me I calmed down and spent another 10 to 15 minutes explaining to him a chart doesn't consider what your wanting to do, boat size, engine, hull, seat package. As I hung up I realized I'm a idiot I just gave a way some valuable time and info too somebody who is not a customer and will probably never be.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Well Waterthunder, if were going to take all the fun out of unjustified bashing and speak reality and truth:

1) Everything you said makes sense and rings home as I am in customer service also and understand the frustration we all deal with.

2) I have spent way more time than I wish upon anyone in the children's oncology unit at Nemours Children's Hospital and I can tell you that you NEVER KNOW what is going on in somebody else's life. Before we let our petty complaints lead us to anger and spite, let us refer to the Golden Rule. A little compassion goes a long way!

3) Sometimes, just sometimes :twisted: I enjoy reading ignorance and pissing matches on here... It helps me forget for a moment what weight my wife bears while I am unable to leave the hospital to ride!

4) What DOES a Cottonmouth weigh?
Mark 7:9

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:31 pm

I don't know what one weighs and I don't care I have no dog in the hull weight hunt. Me personally I like them heavy and stiff.... I have had 4 different people call me today and ask about gear ratios. Every one of them has called back and said someone else said this. So I have done the smart thing I turned my ringer off its 4pm on Saturday no more phones today, I have learned Saturday, Sunday and all the holidays are when the most tech questions are asked. Everyone should be able to have a grumpy day.

I am truly sorry you have a family member in a situation like that I truly hope they get better. That alone makes me realize I need to get off the phone, off the computer close shop and spend a few hours with my family!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Waterthunder wrote:I don't know what one weighs and I don't care I have no dog in the hull weight hunt. Me personally I like them heavy and stiff.

Amen. I boated enough in N. Florida area to know that there can be a lot of surprises in the water .... old pilings, oyster beds, etc. ..... and that a really light hull can sometimes get you in big trouble fast. It depends on where you ride of course, but it's something to consider
Jinny White is in both the light and strong business. If it's a glass hull you want, you might want to give him a call. And be nice. :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:50 pm

cottonmouth airboats wrote: 13'6" 21" sides 425-450lbs. Sure helps keeping the weight down now that we've started going with the glass deck instead of plywood.

:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:55 pm

Buy a jimmy white hull you will be happy.

Skeeter-Gee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Skeeter-Gee » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:48 pm

12 ft ricochet is like 280 ish according to mr hooker . I am seriously still considering buying one ,I guarantee he will take the time and answer questions

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:49 pm

The weight thing has been a peeve for years as I understand it.

Might try calling Bobby Jr and discuss his hulls. PREDATOR

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:01 pm

Waterthunder wrote:I don't know what one weighs and I don't care I have no dog in the hull weight hunt. Me personally I like them heavy and stiff.... I have had 4 different people call me today and ask about gear ratios. Every one of them has called back and said someone else said this. So I have done the smart thing I turned my ringer off its 4pm on Saturday no more phones today, I have learned Saturday, Sunday and all the holidays are when the most tech questions are asked. Everyone should be able to have a grumpy day.

I am truly sorry you have a family member in a situation like that I truly hope they get better. That alone makes me realize I need to get off the phone, off the computer close shop and spend a few hours with my family!

Maybe you need to come down to Camp Old Glory with you're family for a few days. Tire kickers are not you're customers, they just want free advice. Here, you will find "my family" are not tire kickers. You will feel welcome here. Go to facebook and search "Old Glory Camp". :thumbleft:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Waterbugger
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Waterbugger » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Dang thin skin, you need a lesson in old school cracker. He did answer your question. Let me do some translation to Yankee so you understand what was said. A cottonmouth hull is built one way and one way only. You either want to buy one or you don't. You will get the hull the way it is built and it will be a good quality durable fiberglass hull. Typically a person wants to run a particular hull because they know someone who has one with a particular set up and they have been around that type of boat and like the way it performs and that is why they want one. It is what it is. If you call your therapist she might be able to unhurt your feelings from this traumatic experience.

ccamp
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ccamp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:38 pm

Waterbugger wrote:Dang thin skin, you need a lesson in old school cracker. He did answer your question. Let me do some translation to Yankee so you understand what was said. A cottonmouth hull is built one way and one way only. You either want to buy one or you don't. You will get the hull the way it is built and it will be a good quality durable fiberglass hull. Typically a person wants to run a particular hull because they know someone who has one with a particular set up and they have been around that type of boat and like the way it performs and that is why they want one. It is what it is. If you call your therapist she might be able to unhurt your feelings from this traumatic experience.

It's called hurtfeelioma. It is very devastating condition that is spreading like wildfire. :cry:
Maybe you should be a little more sensitive. :slap:

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Junker » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Maybe one of these would be useful........... I constantly hand these out on the job.....
Attachments
hurt_feelings_report.jpg
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:46 pm

I'll take heavy duty over ultra-light for regular use…unless you're racing…then every ounce counts.
The bottom and sides on my aluminum full deck is .125…it's a tank. Strong like bull, smart like truck.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:10 pm

People ask questions when they are interested in buying something due to they aren't familiar with what they are asking questions about and want to know. Shit cost so much anymore that they don't guess and buy and if they are not satisfied sell and buy something different like the old days when stuff wasn't so expensive. Today people have to work hard, cut corners and save to buy so they have a right to ask questions and if people are going to run businesses they should be prepared to answer all questions whether they don't want to or not, FOR THE CUSTOMER ASKING IS A POSSIBLE BUYER AND WITHOUT OUT THEM YOU WONT BE IN BUSINESS LONG, sometimes questions ask seem stupid to the business owner but he is in that business and the guy asking isn't so there is no stupid questions if you plan on staying in business. MY DAD ALWAYS SAID, YOU WILL CATCH A LOT MORE WITH HONEY THAN YOU WILL WITH VINEGAR.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:11 pm

I have never spoken with the cottonmouth owner(s) but I have owned a 13'6" cottonmouth before.

The hull was heavy but it was also an undoubtedly sturdy rig and sometimes I wish I had that old battle ship instead of my laser style hull.

The cottonmouth brand has been around for decades and a lot of people swear to the longevity of those hulls.

I wouldn't take too much offense to the answer you received but I do understand your concern.

I agree with some of the other contributors on this thread that you essentially may have asked the wrong question at the wrong time especially if you happened to call during the weekend.

Hell, one of my previous builders would cuss me out when he felt that one of my ideas wasn't a good one. Not everyone is politically correct in this airboat world and at the end of the day and that is a good thing as far as I am concerned.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:40 pm

and i was thinking i missed the airboat biz lol :roll:

Hawt-Dawg-87
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Hawt-Dawg-87 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm just trying to build a lightweight boat. I have a 4 cyl cont. pe90/520 swap need a better hull thats strong and light weight. There's not really much on SA for sale that appealed to me, so I looked into buying brand new. I've known Cottonmouth for a long time so I called them first. No thin skin here, I know whats going on with airboats, just needed some simple information and the jackass could have handled it completely different. I am a buisness owner myself and if a customer has a question, I'll answer it no matter how stupid it may seem. They aren't doing this everyday so how could you expect them to know? And to answer a question above, I was nice the entire 30 seconds of the phone call. He spouted off with a smart ass answer so yeah, I have the right to be mad and let everyone on here know what they're dealing with if they go with cottonmouth.

AceNtheHole
Southern Airboat Member

Postby AceNtheHole » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Post their phone number here. I'll call them every 30 minutes and tell them what kind of day to have..................lol.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:29 pm

I called and spoke to Bobby Sr at Cottonmouth a few years back about my boat porposing and he was nice and very informative.

My cottonmouth hull is a 2001 (15 years old) and I have tried my best to wear it out the last 4 years I have owned it. It is a tank but has taken all the abuse I ask of it.

I am at the point of needing new stringers and paint, so have been looking for a replacement hull.

Weight wise all Predator hulls are hard to beat as is Hookers Ricochet hull. Woods n Water makes a great hull.

Good luck with your hull search bro!!
:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby dblj006 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Hawt-Dawg-87 wrote:I'm just trying to build a lightweight boat. I have a 4 cyl cont. pe90/520 swap need a better hull thats strong and light weight. .

Sounds like he answered your question.

If you want light weight a cottonmouth is not what you are looking for. The old man builds them to hunt not to race.
Broke.

fletchster76
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fletchster76 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Unless I'm wrong Cottonmouth is the only fiberglass hull builder I know that has been building the same exact hull for 30 yrs with repeat buyers. Old man has a good solid product and he doesn't need to sugar coat it or defend the weight of his hulls. I'll venture to say more deer and hogs have been killed (or mashed) from a cottonmouth than any other hull. I'll take that history over 2 posts any day.
14’ Viking, 520 conversion, 72" 3 blade ngh

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:48 am

:thumbleft:
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Return to “Airboat Talk”