Gator Tags

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Christie
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Gator Tags

Post by Christie »

I filled my tags first season on Jesup and helped a buddy tag out on Monroe in the first two days. Didn't see another soul on either lake and wondered what was up??? Took the two big Jesup gators to CTFH in Mims to sell 'em and heard that PETA has been buying tags to keep us off the water. Anybody else heard that? Problem is that FWC seems to gauge alligator density on the harvest and not on any other survey, so..... they reduce the tags for next year based on limited harvest. I'd say do an accurate survey, hand out more tags, take PETA's money and sustain the usual harvest.

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Gator Tags

Post by getchasumairboats »

Night light surveys are done every year. Not sure who told you otherwise. I personally know some of the people that do the night counts.
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger »

The PETA claim has been made for many years but I have never seen any first hand proof of it. No real way to track it I guess. Maybe a public records could be search as to who tags have been sold to over the years and some research on peoples affiliations would shed some light on this. For many years I used to see the protesters lined up outside the Statewide seminars prior to each season but in more recent years that seems to have dwindled.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

Well they sure did not buy any tags near Orange lake there are a lot of people running their boats around looked like Nascar last week.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

I am certain the PETA D-bags apply for any permit they can get for free. Quota hunts and such... But $290 for gator tags is a lot of money. There may be a couple of them that do it, but most people, even the haters, will talk, but when it comes to throwin money out, it gets real quiet real fast.
Mark 7:9

dshaw94
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dshaw94 »

getchasumairboats wrote:Night light surveys are done every year. Not sure who told you otherwise. I personally know some of the people that do the night counts.
They may need to have there staff checked for competency, because I'm quite concerned they don't have the ability to count, record data, or any other cognitive function for that matter.

There is no way they are doing any kind of population surveys day or night. Numbers of adult alligators (over 8 feet) are in steep decline. The number of tags sold for most hunt areas has remained the same as it was when they revamped the system in 2006.

Take Lake County for example, the have sold 80 permits since they changed the system in 06. Unless you have a private honey hole there is almost no chance of filling both of your tags with adult alligators, and there is a pretty good chance your tags may go unfilled.

Just walk into any processor and see how many sub 5 footers you see in there freezer. Those alligators weren't harvested because the hunter wanted to, they were harvested because they couldn't get anything better.

The system is broken, that's a fact. But I wouldn't worry about the PETA folks spending there money to buy all the tags so the hunters can't get them. They usually go only as far as to run there mouths about how there idealist minds believe the world should be. But when it comes to spending money or making any real efforts for change they're hard to find.

Congrats on a successful hunting season.
We all got it coming, kid. (William Money)

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

dshaw94 wrote:
getchasumairboats wrote:Night light surveys are done every year. Not sure who told you otherwise. I personally know some of the people that do the night counts.
They may need to have there staff checked for competency, because I'm quite concerned they don't have the ability to count, record data, or any other cognitive function for that matter.

There is no way they are doing any kind of population surveys day or night. Numbers of adult alligators (over 8 feet) are in steep decline. The number of tags sold for most hunt areas has remained the same as it was when they revamped the system in 2006.

Take Lake County for example, the have sold 80 permits since they changed the system in 06. Unless you have a private honey hole there is almost no chance of filling both of your tags with adult alligators, and there is a pretty good chance your tags may go unfilled.

Just walk into any processor and see how many sub 5 footers you see in there freezer. Those alligators weren't harvested because the hunter wanted to, they were harvested because they couldn't get anything better.

The system is broken, that's a fact. But I wouldn't worry about the PETA folks spending there money to buy all the tags so the hunters can't get them. They usually go only as far as to run there mouths about how there idealist minds believe the world should be. But when it comes to spending money or making any real efforts for change they're hard to find.

Congrats on a successful hunting season.
I don't know I hear a lot of people who would rather get a smaller gator for meat then a larger one. And the larger ones are much smarter and harder to get/find.

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Actually if you want to get technical any alligator 4 ft and above is considered an adult. And by weeding out of the larger gators it gives the smaller gator a chance to mature and breed. As far as the people that do the night counts they specialize in alligator management . I know them personally . And BTW we are a processor so I don't need to go somewhere else we see plenty of big gators brought in. We also see smaller ones the avg person isn't gonna kill a 10 ft gator everytime they hunt. Nor is that person gonna kill a 10 point Buck everytime the go to the woods.

dshaw94
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dshaw94 »

If you feel that's was getting technical...okay. If you or the state of florida consider a 4 foot alligator an adult, than there management practices make a little more sense....they are from confused folks.
We all got it coming, kid. (William Money)

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

I can remember seeing all kinds of baby alligators on lake O Getchasum... lots n lots of them. I now double look when I pass a clutch in a slough, they seem to grow up really fast out there and disappear!
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Rich Andrews wrote:I can remember seeing all kinds of baby alligators on lake O Getchasum... lots n lots of them. I now double look when I pass a clutch in a slough, they seem to grow up really fast out there and disappear!

Boot leg price is at an all time high thats why you don't see any babies

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

i know...
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Return to “Airboat Talk”