Airboat damaged in storm. Insurance ?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
billybob
Southern Airboat Member

Airboat damaged in storm. Insurance ?

Post by billybob » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:10 pm

Has anyone had experience with there homeowners ins covering they're boat after any kind of damage from a storm? I have an additional add on to my policy for personal property and watercraft are listed. Just not sure how the insurance company is going to react. The boat is totaled. Tree fell on it and the house.
I do all my own stunts!!!!!!

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Airboat damaged in storm. Insurance ?

Post by swampfox » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:04 pm

Tree fell on house and boat... Will they replace the boat. I love it. Airboats are crack!
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Is it a renters policy or homeowners ?

My girl says she has seen a watercraft rider on a renters policy before.

If it was a true homeowners policy which company are you with because I'm sure a bunch of the folks on here would be interested in knowing!

Be the best $ you ever spent!

Call your agent and take pictures asap

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:55 pm

She said to pull out your policy real quick and read the coverage amount on watercraft to verify your limits.

The ones she has seen will pay up to $1,000 and were more geared toward trailers, small outboards, kayak's and canoes.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:11 pm

billybob you guys ok other than the boat??
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by nomad41 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:00 am

Just had this happen. Tree fell on airboat and another small boat. Insurance only covers up to 1000.00 on boat. Lucky airboat wasn't damaged bad. So I didn't list that on claim. As other boat was almost to a 1000.00 to repair. There is an airboat under all that
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Sorry to hear of this damage but very thankful no one was hurt of killed.

With a vessel, if it has it's own dedicated insurance policy then check your declarations page for "comprehensive coverage" it is the portion of the policy that will cover damage resulting from a falling tree or similar peril.

As an example if your airboat is on a dedicated marine policy which schedules it and the comprehensive coverage listed on the declarations page is ($25,000 limit) then the insurance company would pay for repair or replacement up to that policy limit minus the deductible.

This same feature is true on a motor vehicle (car/truck) as an example if your car or truck was under the falling tree. If the policy had a "comprehensive" coverage then the insurance company would pay to repair or replace up to the amount of the policy limits listed on the declarations page.

Very important to verify your coverage's and not just look at the price your paying because cheap insurance is often just that!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Question for Billybob and Nomad as well. Just out of curiosity, what actually happened? I mean, did the tree uproot due to the extra wet ground (which looked like the case in Nomad's picture) or did a tree trunk break, or something else? I have a couple well trimmed trees that have me wondering if they need more attention. :scratch:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by nomad41 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Deano, Here is a link to my tree. Mine happened a week before the storm. Happened sometime on Tuesday the 23rd. after midnight. Don't know why it fell. Looked healthy. It could have fallen in any direction and not hit anything. But as you see it didn't. The great thing about this is the support I got.

I am going through some health issues right now that are pretty bad. tree service who is a friend was there by 10 the next morning cutting it away. That afternoon to friends. One who is an airboater showed up to take apart the shelter.

The airboat was damaged on the front seat. It crimped the rigging on the right side an collapsed it. Another airboater called me and said I am coming to get your boat and taking to Diamondback. As I had enough on my plate. Boat is now sitting there.

One of the boat yards I do a lot of work in stepped up and paid the tree removal bill. As insurance will only cover 525.00. Bill was 2700.00. I have a 1000.00 deductible on my home owners. And the insurance waved that and paid full bill. The little RIB inflatable suffered over 800.00 in damage. I am now waiting on replacement shelter and my boat to come back from Diamondback. I think I am ready to go ride. I need a break.

In the last 60 days I have been told I have a cancer that has no survival. I have had a heart attack and now they have found an aneurysm that looks like It will need surgery to put a graft in. Once I have that done. I will be layed up for 6 to 8 weeks. And it will probably screw up me doing my chemo. Oh yea my spine and lower back are eat up with arthritis. So I have some real strong meds. Hope I didn't bore you. And I am not looking for anything. Thought I would give a little back ground. Oh yea I have tickets for the FAA raffle boat for sale. Can't forget that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/a ... 2818205256
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

billybob
Southern Airboat Member

Post by billybob » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:30 pm

Mine was caused by a lightning strike. I will try to post pictures. I have additional add on to my policy for 150,000 to cover personal property and watercraft is listed. How the heck do you post pictures on here? Been about 6-7 years since I have done it.
I do all my own stunts!!!!!!

BobbyC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BobbyC » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:08 am

Typically homeowners coverage for a boat is low around $1,000. There are also normally size restrictions for the lengths and horsepower as well. A lot of policies will only cover 25 or 50 horsepower or less on a boat under 16' or 18' or less. If you are wanting comprehensive insurance coverage on an airboat you should look into a specific policy for your boat.

Return to “Airboat Talk”