Sunken airboat out in sawgrass rec

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
fango
Southern Airboat Member

Sunken airboat out in sawgrass rec

Post by fango » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Couple buddies of mine tipped their sled over in sawgrass rec about a mile and a half in, these guys are looking for any help possible. If anybody can help please call (786) 512-9587 or (786)270-7586 they will compensate for time etc..

Thanks guys!

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Sunken airboat out in sawgrass rec

Post by John Fenner » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Posted on SA facebook
I never finish anyth,,,.

fango
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fango » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Thank you guys for all the help and offers, great group of guys.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Couple of us here willing to get out and help but the details have been not so clear.

When are we meeting?
Where are we meeting?
What do you need?

Water is about 4ft deep from what I was told and the boat is on its side. Should be a pretty easy re float for 8 guys and 2 boats along side it. Waiting on a call.
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:42 pm

still need help ?
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

catchment38
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by catchment38 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Maybe the the new aluminum dddb can get it up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :stirpot: :salute: :rebel:

Dylan6959
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dylan6959 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:54 am

Still need help? Im about 10 min from the ramp?

fango
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fango » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Gerald, and the other guys that helped were able to pull the airboat close to ramp. Unfortunately it sank in the canal, so the owner of the boat is now getting the resources to surface it. We should be out there this afternoon if they're not already out there.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:25 pm

[quote="catchment38"]Maybe the them new aluminum dddb can get it up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :stirpot: :salute: :rebel:[/quote
It turned out to be double trouble. I got a call mid day while I was at the Judges camp. I went to the landing and picked up the two guys and went to the boat, then to camp for supplies. Another man and his son saw the distress call on SA and decided to give me a hand. They got to the boat before I got back. The boat was on it's side. They figured that they would help by pulling the boat upright before I got back. As I approached the boat, (my sight is not that good any more), I was thinking that the boat was not in two pieces and there was not people swimming around it. WTF? Now I have two boats down in 5 feet of water and no place to pull them up to. We tried to pull the rescue boat up in the grass and onto a makeshift ramp but the water was too deep. I gave the father and son two buckets and had them get into their boat. Fortunately they had an open hull. I pulled them till most of the water ran out the back of the boat and they began to bail. The boat surfaced just as my boat overheated and shut down. Thanks to Water Thunder, the electronics shut my engine down before damage. Thanks to DDDB, the radiator is mounted too low and does not have enough air flow. The father and son teem was able to get the water out of the engine and fuel tank and re-crank.(atta boy Dave). Once my engine dropped to 150 degree, it cranked and I went back to the other two guys that I had left in the water. Fortunately, Bob Goss (captain for Sawgrass Park and pioneer gladesman), knew that I was in trouble and brought out one of Sawgrass' twin engine boats for support. He had picked up the other two guys. I hooked up to the original boat that I come to rescue and drug it up into the grass. It is a decked over hull. The young guys had it for two days and did not have a clue. I hate deck overs because I have seen too many roll over because the operator cannot see how much water is in the boat and it is the water shifting in a turn that rolls the boat over. It was late, so I made the decision to pull the boat to the landing. I watched my temperature gauge and was able to keep it in range until the last second. DDDB did it to me again! As I turned into the canal, my intention was to pull the boat across and onto the concrete ramp and drop it there. In the turn, the boat listed side ways and went down. I went full throttle in an attempt to get it to the ramp but my engine shut down due to over heating. The boat in tow is now in 16 feet of water and I am dead in the water. Thank you DDDB. Bob Goss was on hand to help me get to shore. We still had a rope on the boat and I had the guys back their trailer down the bank to tie the rope to. They moved it until it hit the ledge. Then we broke a 6000 pound rope. The boat will now need to be floated before it can be pulled onto the bank. It is still there. These 'Kids" don't have a pot to piss in. We've all done this and they need our help. I have helped and will again. If any one can, We need help to get this boat up. But please stay in touch so that we don't have 20 boats show up. Gerald 561 722 1712 . The boat is within 30 feet of the bank and a boat is not the problem, EXPERIENCE IS. Sorry about the long story.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:19 am

How hot is the engine when it shuts down?
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 am

Keeping up with this post. Unfortunately I can't offer any help until Friday after work (I'm on call after hours until Friday morning). Keep us posted, if it's not up by Friday, I can help after work.
Kevin
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:24 am

newoldglory wrote:
catchment38 wrote:Maybe the them new aluminum dddb can get it up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :stirpot: :salute: :rebel:[/quote
It turned out to be double trouble. I got a call mid day while I was at the Judges camp. I went to the landing and picked up the two guys and went to the boat, then to camp for supplies. Another man and his son saw the distress call on SA and decided to give me a hand. They got to the boat before I got back. The boat was on it's side. They figured that they would help by pulling the boat upright before I got back. As I approached the boat, (my sight is not that good any more), I was thinking that the boat was not in two pieces and there was not people swimming around it. WTF? Now I have two boats down in 5 feet of water and no place to pull them up to. We tried to pull the rescue boat up in the grass and onto a makeshift ramp but the water was too deep. I gave the father and son two buckets and had them get into their boat. Fortunately they had an open hull. I pulled them till most of the water ran out the back of the boat and they began to bail. The boat surfaced just as my boat overheated and shut down. Thanks to Water Thunder, the electronics shut my engine down before damage. Thanks to DDDB, the radiator is mounted too low and does not have enough air flow. The father and son teem was able to get the water out of the engine and fuel tank and re-crank.(atta boy Dave). Once my engine dropped to 150 degree, it cranked and I went back to the other two guys that I had left in the water. Fortunately, Bob Goss (captain for Sawgrass Park and pioneer gladesman), knew that I was in trouble and brought out one of Sawgrass' twin engine boats for support. He had picked up the other two guys. I hooked up to the original boat that I come to rescue and drug it up into the grass. It is a decked over hull. The young guys had it for two days and did not have a clue. I hate deck overs because I have seen too many roll over because the operator cannot see how much water is in the boat and it is the water shifting in a turn that rolls the boat over. It was late, so I made the decision to pull the boat to the landing. I watched my temperature gauge and was able to keep it in range until the last second. DDDB did it to me again! As I turned into the canal, my intention was to pull the boat across and onto the concrete ramp and drop it there. In the turn, the boat listed side ways and went down. I went full throttle in an attempt to get it to the ramp but my engine shut down due to over heating. The boat in tow is now in 16 feet of water and I am dead in the water. Thank you DDDB. Bob Goss was on hand to help me get to shore. We still had a rope on the boat and I had the guys back their trailer down the bank to tie the rope to. They moved it until it hit the ledge. Then we broke a 6000 pound rope. The boat will now need to be floated before it can be pulled onto the bank. It is still there. These 'Kids" don't have a pot to piss in. We've all done this and they need our help. I have helped and will again. If any one can, We need help to get this boat up. But please stay in touch so that we don't have 20 boats show up. Gerald 561 722 1712 . The boat is within 30 feet of the bank and a boat is not the problem, EXPERIENCE IS. Sorry about the long story.
The boat is on the trailer and at Jason Freemans house :cheers: The guys met with Jason and together they got it up last night. :toothy7: Hell of a job Jason!!!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stonny9 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:26 am

I called the first number listed and they are supposed to call me afternoon of 9/28. I have scuba gear and an air hose attachment for scuba tank. I was the diver for my sisters sunk boat out at Holiday a few years ago but we had to drag it still underwater but "floating" 1 mile to the ramp. They are gonna try to use 18 wheeler tubes to float it up and pull it out with a truck. I asked if they barrels and nope. I guess the tubes will work as it is so close.

Gerald i'll call you in a little(I showed up with the 2 boats on sat as you were headed out to do some roof work in the mud boat) to see if we should we have another experienced boat or just shore dive? Yes only 30 ft but I dont know the layout or exact ramp.

954-439-1 1 1 6

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:27 am

CarMotorBarge wrote:How hot is the engine when it shuts down?
@ 200. not enough for damage.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:28 am

CarMotorBarge wrote:How hot is the engine when it shuts down?
@ 200. not enough for damage.

fango
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fango » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:33 pm

double
Last edited by fango on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Tippy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Mr.Tippy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Hey everyone, I've seen so many people respond to this post my buddy made I just had to make an account to say a few things. My name is Ian and I'm the owner of the sled that sank on Sunday...

For starters me and my friend were relatively new to air boats, although we had driven a few larger ones a few years ago. This 12ft Taylor didn't seem much different from other boat out on the water, boy was I wrong!!

I started out on the stick and took it easy getting used to the controls, keeping air moving through the rudders and not doing anything too dumb. After about an hour of getting comfortable on the controls I handed over the seat to my friend who was with me. He spent about 15 minutes on it, took a turn to slow and the water that was probably on the Bildge (like Gerald mentioned) must have sloshed over and tipped the boat on a turn he took a little to slow. I think he had broward sherif on the phone before he even hit the water, luckily his phone is waterproof. Fire department came and picked us up on a tour boat, I believe Charles was driving, who was courteous enough to rage the FD out and come get us.

A day later we had phone calls left and right asking if the boat was still sunk, if we needed help, etc. Gerald was kind enough to drag our boat to the ramp although as mentioned it went down just a few feet from shore. David (another forum member) unfortunately sank his boat too trying to roll it over before we got back.

Gerald, Jason, David and his son, Capt Bob and Captain Charles were all an immense help in getting us out of there. As well as Downright marine salvage for floating my boat back to the surface.

Never have I EVER seen so many helpful people in one place. This forum was truly a blessing and I cannot thank the people who helped us out of there. I honestly feel like I could never do enough to repay all these guys for all the help. Jason and John even helped me pickle the motor and she is currently running again, the boat is currently being rewired and the starter and alternator have been replaced.

Once again I cannot thank anyone enough for all the help and support on the rescue and recovery. I had the boat for just about 3 days, and cannot wait to get it back on (and out of the water) safely!

Ian :florida:

Uhairball
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Uhairball » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:17 pm

Mr.Tippy wrote:Hey everyone, I've seen so many people respond to this post my buddy made I just had to make an account to say a few things. My name is Ian and I'm the owner of the sled that sank on Sunday...

For starters me and my friend were relatively new to air boats, although we had driven a few larger ones a few years ago. This 12ft Taylor didn't seem much different from other boat out on the water, boy was I wrong!!

I started out on the stick and took it easy getting used to the controls, keeping air moving through the rudders and not doing anything too dumb. After about an hour of getting comfortable on the controls I handed over the seat to my friend who was with me. He spent about 15 minutes on it, took a turn to slow and the water that was probably on the Bildge (like Gerald mentioned) must have sloshed over and tipped the boat on a turn he took a little to slow. I think he had broward sherif on the phone before he even hit the water, luckily his phone is waterproof. Fire department came and picked us up on a tour boat, I believe Charles was driving, who was courteous enough to rage the FD out and come get us.

A day later we had phone calls left and right asking if the boat was still sunk, if we needed help, etc. Gerald was kind enough to drag our boat to the ramp although as mentioned it went down just a few feet from shore. David (another forum member) unfortunately sank his boat too trying to roll it over before we got back.

Gerald, Jason, David and his son, Capt Bob and Captain Charles were all an immense help in getting us out of there. As well as Downright marine salvage for floating my boat back to the surface.

Never have I EVER seen so many helpful people in one place. This forum was truly a blessing and I cannot thank the people who helped us out of there. I honestly feel like I could never do enough to repay all these guys for all the help. Jason and John even helped me pickle the motor and she is currently running again, the boat is currently being rewired and the starter and alternator have been replaced.

Once again I cannot thank anyone enough for all the help and support on the rescue and recovery. I had the boat for just about 3 days, and cannot wait to get it back on (and out of the water) safely!

Well, I guess you picked the right name to use on this forum...
Might want to change it to Mr. StayAboveWater...

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Mr.Tippy wrote:Hey everyone, I've seen so many people respond to this post my buddy made I just had to make an account to say a few things. My name is Ian and I'm the owner of the sled that sank on Sunday...

Welcome to SA glad no one got hurt and U got Ur boat up. Thinking of it this way U got Ur sinking out of the way early lol best of luck airboaters stick together play it forward when U can
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:51 pm

When you're ready to hit the water, give the forum a shout, there's plenty of folks that are looking for a reason to ride. There's safety in numbers, and a wealth of experience to be shared on here.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:10 pm

The one thing you will find over and over and over in the South Florida airboating world is that Jason Freeman and Gerald Motes, not to mention Marshal Jones, will universally be there to help. Awesome people.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TheElevatorGuy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 am

I saw the pic above with the name Ryan Sewell on the post, what does Ryan have to do with this story, salvage guy, boat owner, friend or what........just curious

Mr.Tippy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Mr.Tippy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:33 am

Ryan I believe was the diver who went down in the dark to hook up the bags. He works for downright I believe. Man has a set on him that's for damn sure...

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stonny9 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:26 am

Ask around or make some calls before you go on your next ride. High water now and the south side of alley where most ride is closed till water goes down. I go out with 2 boats every few weeks with one boat's owners having 20 years experience. Were were out there Sat before yall sunk and only saw one boat that looked like a private tour as they never approached the camps and Gerald in passing.

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Birddog247 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:48 am

TheElevatorGuy wrote:I saw the pic above with the name Ryan Sewell on the post, what does Ryan have to do with this story, salvage guy, boat owner, friend or what........just curious
He's a salvage diver. You may want to get his contact info!
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

Return to “Airboat Talk”