Sacrilege?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Sacrilege?

Post by digginfool » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:10 pm

I recently purchased a 1989 Thurman with Wayne Cone rigging. Very nice boat but no motor and needs paint. I initially thought I was going to go with an upstack a friend of mine had available but changed my mind and thought I would just go with a standard AV. Over the weekend, a bunch of us were sitting at camp and we got to talking about the boat. More than a few thought I should dump the idea of putting an AC motor on the boat and put an LS on it. Boat is light as hell so I wouldn't need much of a motor, I already have a gear box, I have to have a motor stand built no matter what so it really started to sound like an interesting idea. I already live the hassle of chasing AvGas every few weeks. With the LS, just stop at the Sunoco on the way to the landing. Would desecrating a classic old Thurman with a carmotor be grounds for a lynching in the swamp? :lol:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Sacrilege?

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:23 pm

digginfool wrote:I recently purchased a 1989 Thurman with Wayne Cone rigging. Very nice boat but no motor and needs paint. I initially thought I was going to go with an upstack a friend of mine had available but changed my mind and thought I would just go with a standard AV. Over the weekend, a bunch of us were sitting at camp and we got to talking about the boat. More than a few thought I should dump the idea of putting an AC motor on the boat and put an LS on it. Boat is light as hell so I wouldn't need much of a motor, I already have a gear box, I have to have a motor stand built no matter what so it really started to sound like an interesting idea. I already live the hassle of chasing AvGas every few weeks. With the LS, just stop at the Sunoco on the way to the landing. Would desecrating a classic old Thurman with a carmotor be grounds for a lynching in the swamp? :lol:
If that's the boat in your picture it already sits low :dontknow: That ls is much heavier with a gearbox, radiator, and all the rest :dontknow:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Jeep, that's my Don Davis. It's got a SV 540, which might still find its way onto the Thurman, then I'll put the 320 back on the Davis. The Thurman is a fairly deep hull and sits pretty high when it had a SV on it. I doubt the extra ~130 pounds over an AV would affect it that much.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Here's a link to a picture of the Thurman. An LS probably would be a real tight fit inside the cage but you never know. I definitely wouldn't do it if it meant scrapping the rigging. Just bouncing ideas around inside my head.

http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/d ... &mode=view

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Yea, that boat deserves an aircraft engine.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:38 pm

X2

That would be kinda like putting Detroit iron in a classic Porsche.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:10 pm

yep it would be a dam shame to trash a nice old school boat with a LS motor and gear box , a nice pe-90 520 conversion or a 0-360 would make that a awesome little sled

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by helicsher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Car motor ewwwwwwwwwu !!!!!!!!!!
You need to find a new camp to hang at those guys aren't your friends there just try to see if your stupid
"Success Requires No Excuses"

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:18 am

A/C if it was mine

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:19 am

I think it would be cool to see a DD LS on the Don Davis and fitting for an AC to be on the Thurman.

Either way - I'm sure we are in for a bunch of stories regarding the builds and change ups lol
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:37 am

glades cat wrote:Yea, that boat deserves an aircraft engine.
I agree, Cat. There's a lot to be said for 'old school'. An AV200 would make a fine little rig IMO. While you're at it, I'd consider letting Don over at Sensenich Propeller in Plant City grind
you a wood prop for it. I know I'd be proud of it!!
Last edited by Olf Art on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:41 am

Heres a idea, put the 540 non the Thurman, and put a ecotec on the Davis. You also need to take that expanded metal off the Thurman.

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by dblj006 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:27 am

Deano wrote:X2 That would be kinda like putting Detroit iron in a classic Porsche.
X2. Perfect metaphor.

In the end it would be too heavy.

And with the history involved yes the answer to the question is Sacrilege. :slap:
Broke.

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:32 am

WARNING-----There will be a diehard who will drown you at the swimming hole. :lol: :slap: :rebel:

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:50 am

So would an LS and a gearbox fit without having to redo the rigging and cage? The gearbox adds 12 inches to the length.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:00 am

Olf Art wrote:
glades cat wrote:Yea, that boat deserves an aircraft engine.
I agree, Cat. There's a lot to be said for 'old school'. An AV200 would make a fine little rig IMO. While you're at it, I'd consider letting Don over at Sensenich Propeller in Plant City grind
you a wood prop for it. I know I'd be proud of it!!

I agree on both counts...a 180 or 200 Lyc turning a woody.
Mr Gary Thurman would be proud. :thumbleft: :proud:
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 am

Greg, don't put an LS on that boat, couple of reasons why as follows.....first off, I would rather have a sister in a ***** house than have a car motor on an original Thurman. Second......It is gonna be a big gamble on how well it will run, 12' boat and the length of that motor and gear box is going to put the motor to far forward. Yes it has been done on 12' boats before and worked well but it is a gamble.

On another note, I am also redoing an old Thurman, But it aint getting no gosh damn car motor!!!
Attachments
thurman.JPG

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 am

Well, I can tell you this, that boat would not really be that great with a car engine/gear box as the displacement of weight wouldn't be as good as if it were about 4/6" wider, 6'8"x12' boat with the taper that boat has would be a recipe for being tippy, unless of course you went with an ecotec package which might come in around same weight as a 540 and possibly more thrust on pump gas.
I never finish anyth,,,.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:35 pm

John Fenner wrote:unless of course you went with an ecotec package which might come in around same weight as a 540 and possibly more thrust on pump gas.
I may be mistaken but I believe there is a thread on here that documents an all Aluminum fully dressed LS weighing less than any fully dressed 6-Cyl AC engine. However, I don't believe that comparison included either cooling system but did include the gearbox in the CM weight calculation. I'll try and dig it up if I have time later today.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:27 pm

In all seriousness, I've no intention of putting an LS on that boat. Just :stirpot: :lol: :lol:
But, the story is true; once it was mentioned by someone who shall remain anonymous (unless I know you real well ;) ), everybody jumped on.

bentonquick
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by bentonquick » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 am

It is called an Airboat, not a carboat..... :toothy7:

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:39 pm

bentonquick wrote:It is called an Airboat, not a carboat..... :toothy7:
:toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
some people just don't understand :violent1: :toothy7: :toothy7:

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:23 am

diggn whats the latest on the barge's engine?
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

gary
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gary » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:35 pm

stroked470 wrote:Greg, don't put an LS on that boat, couple of reasons why as follows.....first off, I would rather have a sister in a ***** house than have a car motor on an original Thurman. Second......It is gonna be a big gamble on how well it will run, 12' boat and the length of that motor and gear box is going to put the motor to far forward. Yes it has been done on 12' boats before and worked well but it is a gamble.

On another note, I am also redoing an old Thurman, But it aint getting no gosh damn car motor!!!
Do you have any more pics of these boat you could post?

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:09 am

kwanjangnihm wrote:diggn whats the latest on the barge's engine?
This is a story that is getting real old. A few weeks ago, I was promised the engine would be back, or at least on its way back, by the first of the year. I called week before last to get a tracking number or some sort of update and found out my engine is still in pieces. Turns out two cylinders are out of round. They're going to try boring 5 thousandths to see if it cleans up. If not, looks like a new block. :banghead:

Return to “Airboat Talk”