Any Boat Builders Interested?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Any Boat Builders Interested?

Post by digginfool » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:54 am

FWC has $120,000 burning their pockets and wants to buy up to 3 airboats. If you have been in business at least 12 months and can prove you've built at least 30 substantially similar boats, you can bid. That shouldn't narrow the field too much. :lol:
Attachments
FWC_Boat_Bid.pdf
(84.17 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Any Boat Builders Interested?

Post by br,lc,LA » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:49 am

Why do they stay with 0-540s... lots more efficient motors on the market for 12' boat
12x7'6" American Airboat
1.4L GM Ecotec - Stock Turbo
2:1 Century Ecotec Drive
80" 2-bld WW Stump Puller
"Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:25 pm

br,lc,LA wrote:Why do they stay with 0-540s... lots more efficient motors on the market for 12' boat
How much is a 'NEW' 540 ? sounds like someone will loose their butt making three for 120 :scratch:

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by br,lc,LA » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Nah... Fresh Rebuilt with no certs is what the spec calls... so not new. and the cost is in the certifications process.
12x7'6" American Airboat

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Non-Cert built to those specs were in the neighborhood of $10K ten years ago.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by br,lc,LA » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:57 pm

It could be done for 40k a boat... but I am sure the bids will be higher! I mean it is a govt agency.
12x7'6" American Airboat

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CHAKA » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:02 pm

The FWC loves to scew people. Let them walk !
Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War.

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:54 pm

br,lc,LA wrote:Why do they stay with 0-540s... lots more efficient motors on the market for 12' boat
Because they need to be able to keep up with our 12ft 540s in the mud and woods lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Floral City Airboats has built the 540 boats for FWC several times in the past.
Alumitec did the car motor Gulf boats.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:12 am

Hire a "GOOD" Lawyer to bid on government work especially FWC. I highly doubt any boat builder has the resources like GM or Ford or Dodge and FWC is Known to follow the letter of the law regardless including bids for products or services!
Funny a bid for 3 airboats has made it all the way to here, don't you think?

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:11 am

Maybe the spec is customized for a specific bidder. Happens all the time.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

Sarahj
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Sarahj » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:50 am

What does 120k look like rolled over or sunk in the canal?? I am sure FWC will show us soon. :lol:
Old School 10ft Taylor 0-320 63" Sensenich :florida:

Waterbugger
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Waterbugger » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Just an observation; If FWC were to "let a spec slide a little" and pay full price for something they did not get you all would be crucifying them on here for wasting your tax dollars and playing favorites with "certain boat builders". When they hold you to that standard they are "too tough" and "unreasonable". Funny your never happy either way. I'll bet if you specified certain equipment for your boat to a builder and they did not include that equipment or it was substandard and not the quality you specified you wouldn't pay full price now would you? I personally have no use for FWC and trust me when I tell you I'm in no way defending them, but I occasionally do business with other government agencies mainly the USDA and as long as you give them what they are asking for and meet the bid spec you will get paid. You should quote it a little higher because you will wait at least 30 days if not more to get paid. Problem is most people who try to bid a government contract want to quote costs for premium materials specified then they try to provide substandard quality components then cry when they get busted on it and either have to eat the item or re do it to meet spec. Some don't pay attention to time lines specified and associated late penalties which are other common bid specifications. Other bidders have no clue of what they are getting into and think because they are doing a project similar to one they've done in the private sector they don't read the spec then when they start the job and get called out because they are not meeting spec, well of course it has to be somebodyelse's fault because God only knows if you didn't read the spec and bid too cheap because you "thought" you knew what you were doing it couldn't possibly be your fault because in today's society no one is expected to man up and take responsibility for their actions. Government work pays good when you can get it you just have to realize going in that equipment standards and building specifications are extremely different than even high grade industrial standards. READ the specifications, Bid according to the cost of the higher grades specified, don't try to cut corners and "get one over on them" and you will do fine. Definitely not defending FWC or any other government agency, but I do deal in this arena and have experience with these type contracts and see that the majority of the time those who have issues did not do their home work or are blatantly trying to substitute quality to make a few extra bucks and just get mad because they got caught. JMO as much as I pay in taxes every year if they are going to spend it I'd rather see them get a good quality piece of equipment and know at least if they are going to spend that kind of money their is someone checking to make sure corners are not cut and the quality specified is there.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 am

Unless someone knows where you can get a 10 foot wide sheet of aluminum the specs are already flawed. Says you can't have any joints, and says it has to be one piece. Doesn't say if its welded or riveted. Being 6061 I would guess it's welded.
As far as paying, my guess is you would be good. Years ago I got Dick Larkins to do some work for me for the School Board. I told him they were slow to pay upfront. his reply was "Hell some people never pay me".

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:30 am

Well said Waterbugger, I can think of several people right here on S.A. who have had, (or is trying to have), a boat built in just the last year or so who wish they had had a well written contract with penalties for not meeting a completion date or specific specifications for the build.

It would be great if there was a standard contract that anyone could use to to have a boat built. I personally cannot afford to have someone build me a complete boat but if I could, based on what I've seen recently, I would definitely spend a few bucks to have a contract drawn up to guarantee their performance. Any honest builder would understand and not be offended and would, in fact, also benefit from a well written contract.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by JCGator » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:44 am

Gary S wrote:Unless someone knows where you can get a 10 foot wide sheet of aluminum the specs are already flawed. Says you can't have any joints, and says it has to be one piece. Doesn't say if its welded or riveted. Being 6061 I would guess it's welded.
As far as paying, my guess is you would be good. Years ago I got Dick Larkins to do some work for me for the School Board. I told him they were slow to pay upfront. his reply was "Hell some people never pay me".
typically you would put that in the clarifications of your proposal on the aluminum or there is a time period for questions to address errors or omissions in the spec. I've got a 6" thick spec book for a building in front of me now and half of this crap is contradictory or doesn't work :dontknow:
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs

Return to “Airboat Talk”