Polyurea?

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Polyurea?

Postby Andy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:58 am

Has anyone used this bootom coating,and if so have you installed it in a Fiberglass hull

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Polyurea?

Postby Deano » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:44 am

Andy, If you would, please supply a link or some other info pertaining to the coating you're referring to.

Always willing and wanting to learn new stuff and this is a new one to me. My exposure and knowledge of polyurea would not imply that it would be a good airboat bottom coating. Don't have anything bad to say about it, but it's most positive attributes (that I'm familiar with) aren't among those that a man looks for in an air boat bottom coating.

Without knowing anything about the material to which you refer, I can't really comment beyond that.
I will say though, that I'm beyond passively curious.

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:59 am

...not to be confused with Polyuria, which is frequent urination. Although, in practice, they both contribute to a slicker bottom.
Used in a sentence: "Last night's dream of my new Polyurea bottom coating, resulted in my bottom being coated due to my Polyuria". :scratch:

Sorry man, I couldn't resist. :D

I will say that a search for its adhesion and hardness properties will dictate its ability to not peal off and durability.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:59 am

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:17 pm

After some further surfing I found it will not stick to Gel coat. But they are using this product on Large boats for ice protection and Jet boat hull protection from rocks and gravel. Maybe the Aluminum crowd might be intrested

harsensmarshrat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby harsensmarshrat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Isn't it just sprayed truck bed liner?

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:58 pm

They make a Bedliner but they also make a whole line on different coatings, I just heard about it and was curious all I know is what I read on the Net. I thought someone on SA might have tried it!

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:58 pm

i did a lot of Research on this stuff, sprayed an old john boat with it beat it to death filled it with rocks pulled it around stuff works great for impact and overall wear. Downfall, it is not nearly as slick as polymer it wont ever be as slick as polymer due to the fact the oil needed in the polymer which makes it slick doesnt allow for it to stick to bare metal when sprayed.
I looked into a dealership and the company who makes the raw formulation couldn't commit to a per gallon yearly price and only would allow you to use the equipment they use to spray it.. it was a 100k dollar get into business type of deal. The company was not receptive to R&D for airboat applications

For a guy who doesnt care about running dry I wouldnt hesitate a second to apply it. Some boats in Alaska use this on the bottom and they have no problems with it.
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:59 pm

Polyurea (in my line of work) is a very flexible 2 part adhesive patching compound primarily used for cracks in concrete that are actively moving. Also very very durable, but it seems like an expensive WRONG thing to put on the bottom of a boat.

Adhesives Technology makes a demo where they pour some in a cup 1/2" thick. After they pop it out it feels like shiny rubber.

I'm thinking rubber = stop not go.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:12 am

other blends exist and are hard as metal. you can strike them with the claw of a hammer and maybe put a dent in it.

LOHA is AHOL backwards

TDezso
Southern Airboat Member

Postby TDezso » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:51 am

If you watch the video, they apply it then put wetlander over it. Depending on cost and weight, it might be worth it over poly. Wetlander is some pretty slick stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:07 am

Image this was an impact test we did with a hammer using the edge,and a wire brush at high speed..no real damage to speak of

LOHA is AHOL backwards

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 pm

If you can make it that hard, I wonder if it could be used as the binder for fiberglass? If so, you could use it to build the bottom of a hull. Then put a standard slick bottom over it.

Hmmmm?
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:01 am

you could pop a mold with this stuff and have the strongest boat ever..

LOHA is AHOL backwards

Return to “Airboat Talk”