throttle hand ideas opinon poll

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.

Witch do you think would both work and look better

Option #1 90 degree handle
6%
Option #2 "T' handle
12%
Option #3 In-line upright
82%

Total votes: 17

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

throttle hand ideas opinon poll

Post by goldhunter_2 »

yes I thinking out loud again and I know ya'll can see the smoke form there :lol:

most of you know I need to stay away form a foot throttle in my main steering seat (rear) so the finger throttle is a no brainier , I was going to make a fancy helicopter type handle with the trigger as the throttle but figured that was allot of custom parts and I have this type stuff and it's easy to replace.

here is the opinions , please remember there will be a cable and loop off the opposite side form the finger throttle that will fasten to the stick (probably about 3" out loop)

option #1
90 degree the white rule would be the main stick and finger throttle and grip on the outside

Option #2

"T" again white ruler is main stick grip on outside and finger throttle on inside

Option #3
In-line upright , white ruler would be the main stick then the grip then the finger throttle on top

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac »

Trying to use my imagination, and I think the 90. looks good, as well as the strait
grip. the ( T ) however looks like it might be uncomfortable after a while.
Having never tried any of them I could hardly be considered an authority on the
matter. You might mock up something from scrap emt and try it while your watching
TV or something like that.
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

ya that's all I need is different peoples opinions and thoughts good or bad (if they use there imagination) it makes me rethink everything before I go ahead an do it

papee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by papee »

I had one like the upright on one of my boats, I had it so the throttle was on the bottom though and used my last two fingers. I liked it and almost went with it this time but decided on the foot pedal. The one i just did for my buddy had a motorcycle throttle on it before we tore the old boat apart. Not sure how well it would work, seems that when you move the stick the throttle would change.
Dave Simcox
Elizabethville,PA
Woodlawn Web Technologies

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

pappe
I actual debated about putting the throttle on the bottom under the grip but figured it would not be as easy to control with my pinkie as with my trigger finger so I already eliminated that way.

I am leaning towards the upright in line, but the "T" would let me rest my arm when using Cruise control :lol: redneck cruise control = small stick :D

the poll is showing 50% T and 50% upright in line so far

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

hand throttle

Post by basketcase0302 »

Gold,

Like I posted in the other thread, would be nice to have some pictures of Melissa's throttle on her boat. If I remember it was a "hand type" just not sure how it was made.
Her boat was put together by some "heavy hitters"!

Basketcase

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

don't think I have ever seen her boat up close but remember some pictures (but not close ups) and a thread on it way back . there are probably several different ways to make something like this work just as long as they all move the throttle linkage they should work fine

carpshooter1
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by carpshooter1 »

i have a romote streer and hand throdle on the front for bowfishing it use's a brake leaver like on a bicycle or motercycle works ok because your standing i like the jet ski style triger on top as you show pending on how heavy throdle spring you have!
ONE MINUTE AT A TIME YOU CAN'T CONTROL ANYTHING ELSE
14FT GPU- BIG FUN

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

well besides the fact I didn't have a brake handle lying around and do the jet ski throttle ( I am firm believer in using what you have ) :D the jet ski throttle I am using already has a return spring in the trigger still plan on putting a return spring on the carb linkage because of the front seat foot pedal for the kids to use but will not be to strong of spring

How is your brake handle set up on that remote stick ? is it in-line or T or 90 degree and how comfortable is it mounted like that?

carpshooter1
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by carpshooter1 »

It is a inline with the brake handle upside down so it is pretty easy to push with the palm of your hand of fingers it works good for bowfishing when your just idling if you try to throttle it up you don't feel like you have control as if you where in the drivers seat
ONE MINUTE AT A TIME YOU CAN'T CONTROL ANYTHING ELSE
14FT GPU- BIG FUN

jimmy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmy »

i thought bout this while riding to day. i found myself using
the top as an arm rest... sooo, i might think the T might
be comfortable but the inline a little more user freindly.
been trying to figure the best way to mount trim tab control on
sterring stick!

Ron Miller
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Ron Miller »

Gold hunter the bowfishing boats with hand throttles use them only for slow maneuvering not for fast running. If I had to use a hand throttle I would use my right hand and have a rest for my fore arm so I could push the throttle forward for more RPM's .. Using leverage points on this type of T handle you should be able to have slight resistance so not to be tiring to run for a lenghty time period at cruising speed.
Just my 2cents worth.
Good luck and I hope it all works grate for you.
Ron Miller
Pres. of MACA

papee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by papee »

goldhunter_2 wrote:pappe
I actual debated about putting the throttle on the bottom under the grip but figured it would not be as easy to control with my pinkie as with my trigger finger so I already eliminated that way.

I am leaning towards the upright in line, but the "T" would let me rest my arm when using Cruise control :lol: redneck cruise control = small stick :D

the poll is showing 50% T and 50% upright in line so far

I just figured by it being on the bottom you had your thumb and strongest fingers on the stick. In the end, it's personal preference. Good luck.
Dave Simcox
Elizabethville,PA
Woodlawn Web Technologies

Return to “Airboat Talk”