Ducknutt Build 500 Caddy

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Ducknutt Build 500 Caddy

Post by Deano »

The general consensus seems to be FARIA Gauges.
https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/products_marine.php

Nomad41 on here is a Dealer of theirs, and is the local go to guy as far as I know.
You can PM him here, or I believe he listed his number in one of the below threads.

These search results may help that regard:
http://southernairboat.com/phpBB3/searc ... &terms=all
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Thx Deano

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Slowly but surely

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Looking good !

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Thang »

That is gonna be one Nice ride when it's done DuckNutt, I really like the way you used all the triangles and radiuses in the rigging, it looks light and strong. seat height & placement is a good all around setup too.
The sign on the back wall of your shop about baiting deer is great, never seen that one before.
Last edited by Swamp Thang on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Thanx Swamp, it's going real well so far. Yeah man those decks are solid as concrete. I'm actually making both front singles to be removable since it'll be just two people most of the time.

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Thang »

My 14x8 DB has a similar seating arrangement, two up in the back with a removable triple in front. In my opinion making the front seats removable is one of the best options a builder can offer especially on a small hull like mine.

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Yeah me too. I'll have plenty of room for decoys, guns, coolers, grills, and dead critters. Starting on cage tomorrow. I'll post as we make progress

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Anybody have recommendations on spread of rudders and set back? just looking for opinions and reasons why. That's next step this coming weekend.

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Thang »

The cage is looking good Ducknutt! I don't have enough experience to have much of an opinion or any reasons why but for your reference the spread on my DB is aprox. 32" centers with 28" on either side of that for a total cage width of 88" and the set back bar is 8" behind the rear hoop. The steering cable mounts to the starboard rudder behind the pivot point with a tie bar at the front of the rudders, also the cable is connected to the stick below the pivot point which is opposite of when the cable is connected to the front of the rudders, seems to me that being connected both ahead and behind of the rudders pivot points might eliminate some "play" in the steering system. The steering on my Kennedy is only connected to center of the tie bar at the front of the rudders and above the pivot point on the stick, not sure if it makes much difference?

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Thang »

Here is a pic of each one.
IMG_20170707_160412.jpg
IMG_20170707_160357.jpg

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Thanx Swamp, can you post a pic of the top of rudders and connections?

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Thang »

The DB
IMG_20170724_185458.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20170724_185542.jpg

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Thang »

The Kennedy
IMG_20170724_185604.jpg
If you would like any close up pics let me know.
Attachments
IMG_20170724_185641.jpg

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Thanx Swamp, the DB looks strong. I like the angle support and the gussets.

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
Bottom tabs and rudder brackets. Rudders going on tomorrow.

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

IMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG
Slowly but surely

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

It looks like the leading edge of your rudders are to far from your prop. Maybe someone else can confirm the distance. :salute:
chuckitt@earthlink.net wrote:For years we have used about 2 inches. This will vary with different props. I learned this from the late Dick Hoffmann. The father you go away from the prop, the harder it will be to steer. Try 10 inches and you can't hardly steer. We try never to go over 4 inches. We have had a few at 1/2 inch with the Maximus blades and they steered great. the 1.5 inch is fine. Take it for what it is worth. Thanks, Chuck
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

I believe Kwan's assessment to be correct. I remember that thread; all I'll say about that is that don't believe it to be applicable to your current build. My Hoffman built boat is 8" and it steers just fine.

Un-scientific scaling of that pic against the length of your header flange, it looks like your set back is right around 16-18" back to the prop. If so, that is about three times the distance you probably want, depending on who you believe.

I would generally shoot for about five or six, but would expect between 4 and 8 close enough to not have any deleterious effects. The general consensus seemed to be that 4" was about the point when feedback would start. The 'touchiness' of the steering will be more the closer you go. Great on small sled, not necessary (and a pia) on a build such as yours, IMO and others.

Note: Be sure you slightly over-pitch the blade you are taking that measurement from when you finalize it. You don't want to leave x amount of space and then find out later the blade was way flat in the hub when you measured, thereby loosing space you meant to leave.

They look fine, but just out of curiosity, what do they measure and how far apart are they ?

I wish I'd seen and responded to your post before you got that far, but better now than later I guess.
On that note, the preferred distance between your cable mount and the pivot point of your rudder stick ought to be right about 17 inches, and will yield results right at what you would expect. Shorter will be slower and a little more like power steering, resulting in an excessive amount of throw. Longer will be faster, less like power steering, have a shorter throw, and be excessively touchy to input (or lack thereof).

Your build is progressing nicely, it looks good. What are your plans for paint ?
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

Thanx for heads up and information. I can place bracket in front of support also which would move me 4 inches closer if I need to. I can also keep both as a means of tuning steering to check both locations. Inside spread of 32 inches between rudders, this is on an 83" prop. Gonna raptor all rigging in black and do the rudders and fuel tank exactly like the hull.

Return to “Airboat Talk”