Never Forget

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Never Forget

Postby digginfool » Mon May 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Our sport is so much fun. But, we must never forget the inherent dangers, either. Such a tragic story and needless loss.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article150577537.html
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: RE: Never Forget

Postby BANANA BOAT » Mon May 15, 2017 10:08 pm

digginfool wrote:Our sport is so much fun. But, we must never forget the inherent dangers, either. Such a tragic story and needless loss.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article150577537.html

low water levels make it easy to flip

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Never Forget

Postby mojoe » Mon May 15, 2017 11:09 pm

My sympathy goes out to her loved ones.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Mon May 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Low water, high speed and not knowing what you are doing is never a good mix. There is more but I'll keep my mouth shut. It hurts me to see such a young life taking so soon. I pray God will be with her family and friends during this tragic time.
Last edited by ladyblackwater on Tue May 16, 2017 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greater love hath no man, than to lay his life down for a friend.

Bitterly clinging to my guns and my religion!

I am that conservative republican your momma warned you about!

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Tue May 16, 2017 4:04 am

mojoe wrote:My sympathy goes out to her loved ones.

x2
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Tue May 16, 2017 6:42 am

It makes me sick every time I read about an Airboat accident and some one getting killed of badly injured
this is why I'm always bringing up about wearing PFD's and getting proper Airboat operator training I have seen even people that
have been running an Airboat for years doing thing's that are totally unsafe so everyone needs to think before you act it only takes a second to make a mistake in what we do to change your life for ever or end it, please be careful
Sniper You can run but why die tired, If you heard my shot you were not the target
DOI Airboat Instructor

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Tue May 16, 2017 8:21 am

As Sniper eluded to, it does not take high speed to commit a fatal or near fatal OOPS!

In all honesty, as frequently as I witness things that should never be allowed to
happen, it is wonder we don't read about such incidents quite a bit more often.

Prayers sent for all those involved or effected by this tragic accident.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Tue May 16, 2017 8:44 am

That's really sad. Prayers to family & friends.

A couple of posts were removed due to confusion about which tour company. The video in this news article states that it was "Everglades
The River of Grass Adventures" at about 1:50 into it: https://www.local10.com/news/recent-university-of-miami-graduate-killed-in-airboat-accident

Rick

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue May 16, 2017 8:54 am

Another tragic event. Prayers for the family and friends.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Postby Scotty1 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:06 pm

:rebel: I am no expert but what would anybody be doing out there running with 5 people on the boat in these dry or almost dry conditions. this accident should have never happened, :rebel: ( PRAYERS TO THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS MAY GOD BE WITH YOU)

k-dog
Southern Airboat Member

Postby k-dog » Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm getting my first airboat in a few weeks so im new to running one if you are in shallow water and slidding sideways andhit a dry patch the boat might flip??? I see them slidding on dry ground all the time how do you flip one.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Wed May 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Well . . . . that (the dry patch) could be one of a hundred other possibilities.

One of more common and likely culprits could a cypress knee hiding in the grass.
Or a dry spot, or a rock, of a log, or a piling, or a stump, or any other unmovable object.
Or in one case on the Withlacoochee River, an old lawn tractor in the middle of the river. :shock:

When sliding sideways (wet or dry) any of those things unseen can and will stop your momentum quicker than the best of brakes. Now consider how top heavy and narrow an airboat is when it's sliding sideways. One can go over quicker in that circumstance that you can even think 'Oh, ****', let alone tell anybody else 'hold on, this is gonna hurt'.

Another common possibility could be a patch of the proverbial black mud that either looks slippery or is possibly not visible at all due to any number possibilities. The suction involved in this instance may prevent it from rolling, but it can stop your momentum just as quick. The difference between this and hitting the same stuff moving forward is that you could fly over the side of the boat, instead of over the bow.

When traveling forward, you have the rake of the bow to guide you over obstacles and things that go bump on the bottom. When sliding sideways that design feature is not generally any advantage. :idea:
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Wed May 17, 2017 9:17 pm

For that matter, a clump of grass. I watched a friend of mine all but barrel roll his sled by sliding into a clump of grass. To this day I don't know how it didn't end up as a wreck. Somehow, he saved it. Then again, a 12 ft sled; not a 18 - 20 ft overweight, overpowered, driver-over-his-head-accident-waiting-to-happen. Then again what the hell do I know? I wasn't there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Wed May 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Kneemail sent to the family and friends...
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Fri May 19, 2017 2:21 am

digginfool wrote:For that matter, a clump of grass. I watched a friend of mine all but barrel roll his sled by sliding into a clump of grass. To this day I don't know how it didn't end up as a wreck. Somehow, he saved it. Then again, a 12 ft sled; not a 18 - 20 ft overweight, overpowered, driver-over-his-head-accident-waiting-to-happen. Then again what the hell do I know? I wasn't there.

You jumped on the bandwagon of hating tour boats real fast... :scratch: ...if you knew how big the boat was and it's stats, you'd realize how foolish this comment is. Just a thought -CJ

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Postby Scotty1 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:54 am

:rebel: LADYBLACKWATER if you have some information or stats as you call it on this tragic event. Why don't you share it , it may help some one from having this happen to them :rebel:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri May 19, 2017 8:00 am

ladyblackwater wrote:
digginfool wrote:For that matter, a clump of grass. I watched a friend of mine all but barrel roll his sled by sliding into a clump of grass. To this day I don't know how it didn't end up as a wreck. Somehow, he saved it. Then again, a 12 ft sled; not a 18 - 20 ft overweight, overpowered, driver-over-his-head-accident-waiting-to-happen. Then again what the hell do I know? I wasn't there.

You jumped on the bandwagon of hating tour boats real fast... :scratch: ...if you knew how big the boat was and it's stats, you'd realize how foolish this comment is. Just a thought -CJ

It's called sarcasm. Sorry it went over your head but I'll try to explain it to you: Everybody (especially you) always want to jump to a conclusion when something like this happens. The last two sentences says it all; 'what the hell do I know? I wasn't there.' So, unless you (and everybody else) were there and witnessed the event, you (and everybody else who's weighed in) are basing everything you've posted on conjecture. Hope that clears it up.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri May 19, 2017 11:42 am

Since I am unable to decipher where or why this went in the ditch; I will clarify that I, for one,
was only responding to the question posed by k-dog, who is just about to acquire his first boat.

The best medicine is preventative and he asked a legitimate question worthy of a good answer.
The only 'weighing in' that I did, was to provide one, lest he be the subject of the next such thread.

I reckon your sarcasm was lost on me as well. :dontknow:
When you include 'everybody else' in your statement multiple times, it is difficult to feel left out.

Perhaps your initial post should've included the disclaimer:
"Please do not respond to this post. It is for informational purposes only." .. :lol:
- Carl Sagan

k-dog
Southern Airboat Member

Postby k-dog » Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm

I didn't mean to open a can of worms i just have never owned a airboat and don't want this to happen to me with someone i have on board. I was brought up the only dumb question asked is the one not asked.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri May 19, 2017 12:38 pm

My un-met friend . . . you are absolutely correct about the only dumb question being the one not asked.

You ask all the questions you can think of that are relevant. Most all of us would rather answer a question
than see you have undo or unanticipated grief. We all started out at some point.

On a different note, there is no can of worms here to be credited to you.
Whatever's going on here, got nothing to do with you. Don't sweat the small stuff. 8)

Sometimes, the 'witty banter' will get knee deep, but usually you won't need to wade through it. :lol:
- Carl Sagan

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Fri May 19, 2017 2:48 pm

K-dog you didn't open any can of warms. In truth you are doing the right thing by asking questions. If more people would ask questions the way you are, I can guarantee the woods would be a safer place. Don't ever feel like you might ask a STUPID question. Your are correct when you say the only dumb question is the question never asked. You can get a lot of great information and learn a lot from this site. The problem is you have to weed out all the bull and politically correct crap.

ringneck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ringneck » Fri May 19, 2017 2:58 pm

I guess i'm getting old enough to have forgoten some of the dumb stuff of my youth. So I have added a reminder that keeps me on track.
My Avitar is glued on the console right between the oil pressure and temp guages.

when I was being certified as a PADI Rescue Diver my instructor said that he would teach us all he possibly could about saving divers
but what he insisted was for US to learn how to recognize and deal with a problem long before it needed my rescue training.

Old age or not I never forgot that part of the class.

Prayers to all involved in this tragic event. :texas:
16x8 AIRRANGER RHINO, LEVATATOR 450, CH3, WHIRLWIND 3B-80
Aircraft hand prop tractor, half guard old school survivor

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Fri May 19, 2017 3:13 pm

k-dog read this link of airboat do's & dont's when you have a few minutes - it has great info!! :thumbleft:
https://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/ ... hp?t=30116

airboats are dangerous going forward, sideways, backwards, even sitting on the trailer in your driveway it can kill ya!! :violent1: :banghead: :rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Return to “Airboat Talk”