First Airboat Help!!

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
OJMonty2
Southern Airboat Member

First Airboat Help!!

Postby OJMonty2 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:47 am

What's up guys!!! I'm completely new to this forum but let me say you guys are awesome!! I've been reading these forums for weeks and have learned a lot!! Anyhow I'm looking for advice from some of the more experienced boaters.

I'm trying to get into my first boat and want to know what you all recommend. I'm looking at smaller hulls with 4 cyl aircraft engine. I only need it to hold 2 to 3 people but would like a boat that can run dry. I've seen a lot of boats for sale with Lycoming's and want to know if you believe a 4 cyl aircraft engine has enough power for what I'm looking for. My grandfather is an old timer in the everglades. He's been out of the glades for quite a while, but believes the only way to go is an 0540. While I'd love to get an 0540 that's a bit more than I'm looking to spend (got a wedding coming up and the fiancé isn't thrilled about the airboat, but i'm 10 minutes from the glades lol).

Any how any advice you guys can give would be much appreciated!! I'm hoping to be purchasing a boat within a month and looking forward to being able to ride with some of you.

BTW if anyone knows somebody looking to sell a boat I'm looking!

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: First Airboat Help!!

Postby Junker » Thu May 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Buy the 0540 and pass on the wedding.............
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Compared to a wife an airboat is cheap.

Krahammer
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Krahammer » Thu May 18, 2017 4:39 pm

I agree. I bought a boat the same day that my divorce became final. My boat has an occasional problem but she never argues with me and does not contain when I am out late gigging, and has never threatened to leave me because I rode another boat.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Postby Scotty1 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:22 pm

:rebel: DEPENDS ON WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE :rebel: BOATS AINT CHEAP

OJMonty2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OJMonty2 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:30 pm

LOL....Thanks for the replies guys!

Any advice on if a 4cyl a/c engine has enough power for a small 11-12ft hull?

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Thang » Thu May 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Just don't tell her how much it really cost and you'll be fine, what she don't know won't hurt her lol
A 4 cylinder on a small light hull will run dry but 3 people is pushing it. Seems the general consensus around here is it takes about a 1 hp to 4 pound ratio to run dry with confidence assuming the bottom of the hull is good/straight so basically a 200 hp engine will push an 800 pound rig, 400 hp will push a 1600 pound rig and so on no matter how many cylinders. The best advise I can give you is to buy as much boat and motor as you can reasonably afford, don't be in a rush and settle for less than you really want or need... save up a little more while doing research on here and talking to as many airboaters as you can will save you a lot of time and money in the long run. The classified's on here are your best source to find a nice boat what ever type you decide on.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Fri May 19, 2017 10:52 pm

Swamp Thang wrote:Just don't tell her how much it really cost and you'll be fine, what she don't know won't hurt her lol
A 4 cylinder on a small light hull will run dry but 3 people is pushing it. Seems the general consensus around here is it takes about a 1 hp to 4 pound ratio to run dry with confidence assuming the bottom of the hull is good/straight so basically a 200 hp engine will push an 800 pound rig, 400 hp will push a 1600 pound rig and so on no matter how many cylinders. The best advise I can give you is to buy as much boat and motor as you can reasonably afford, don't be in a rush and settle for less than you really want or need... save up a little more while doing research on here and talking to as many airboaters as you can will save you a lot of time and money in the long run. The classified's on here are your best source to find a nice boat what ever type you decide on.

Excellent advice!
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

THE NIGHT RIDER
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby THE NIGHT RIDER » Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 am

Ur fist airboat is for learning ,learning to drive ,learning where u can and cannot go ,learning u have no brakes ,so id say a 4banger is a great start ,u can always upgrade to that 540 once you have alot of stick time

Sent from my SM-G935P using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk
!!! IM THE REAL NIGHT RIDER B!TCH !!! !!! AND A PROUD TO BE IN THE DIAMONDBACK FAMILY !!!!

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Sat May 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Well , im in the same boat as u ! Lol. , just bought my first airboat , its a gfx 11' with a 0320 150hp ,,,with a 6 blade warp , i need it to run dry , and up a hill to get outta my creek , wanted more power , but. $$$ and i have like only 20 min stick time in a v8 car motor diamondback. The engine i built for the owner , it was mid 600s hp. Small block chev , i loved the thing , But it did not feel over powered by any means ! I have not driven my 0320 powerd boat as of yet , im sure it wont have enough power , but i am hoping for the best , if anyone here has an opinion as to the o320 on a gfx glass boat and the 6 blade , i would love to hear the bad news ? Please chime in , i will ansewr your question in detail bout this time next week ! i figuer if i like the boat and if where i intend to use it works out , then this winter i will head south and get a newer boat and lots off hp ! Got to start somewhere ! Im stressin more over the prop ! The seller tells me it dont whine ,, i thik hes lying from what i see of warp drive 6 blades on video ,,, i really hope someone can give me feed bach on here bout it ?? Your post was the exact thing i was going to ask on here lol. ! Good luck , w

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Sun May 21, 2017 6:13 am

Your buying a boat and you haven't heard it run? Keep it light and it might surprise you.

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Sun May 21, 2017 7:50 am

Thats correct , site unseen except for pics & the sellers word , he has serious health issues and is not able to do much , and its too far for me to get there with work scedule , its also "freshley majored and 15% more hp then stock " so he says ,, im not sure if that gain is even possible with these engines , i know absolutely nota bout these or any other aircraft engines , , I do build race engines for a living tho , car motors i know well ! Boat apears to be in great shape from pics ( exceptional ) And it was dirt cheap , i need to begin somwhere , i wanted an airboat for 30 years , my engine shop is rite on a creek that is 300 feet wide and over 30 miles long of great fishing and hunting ! Been using a 6x6 amphib , talk about a slow ride up stream ! Thank u fo answering w.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun May 21, 2017 8:49 am

I'm hoping that you didn't find it on Craigslist. That just sounds generically suspect.

There is always the possibility of getting someone close enough to check it out for you, if not with you.
Somebody close(r) my be able to at least go check it out and offer an educated opinion.

Might cost ya a twelve pack and/or a couple bucks, but it's hard to imagine that not being money well spent.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Sun May 21, 2017 10:09 am

Ehh ,,, real cheap ... not craigs , the guy is real as is the
Boat ... hes just really sick ... i dont want to bug him
I have a shop full of 3.8 supercharged V6s that make 340ftlbs at 2800rpm ... if its that bad
One of those can find its way into the boat pretty quickly ... they are fairly light weight also
But i would love the 0320 to work out ... that will be my first goal ! W

Uhairball
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Uhairball » Sun May 21, 2017 7:33 pm

This sounds VERY suspicious.
Not wanting to see ya get ripped off, tell us this, and maybe somebody here can verify boat is
actually there and in the condition stated.
What city and state are you located?
What city and state is the boat located?
Maybe a pic or two of the boat will make it identifiable..
Did you at least get a copy of the title with the SELLER's name on it?
If you browse through this website, you will find MANY people that have reported being ripped off by
individual sellers and dealers alike. Been there done that..

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Sun May 21, 2017 9:14 pm

How do u send pics on here ? , i appreciate your concern , I verified there actually being a boat at the
Location,, im from New york state (NOT City ) , its cash on pic up , so not sure what the point would be
Toying with me , i guess its possible tho , i wouldnt be my first pic of people to do that 2 ..
lol ...Nope ! I hope a 0320 150 is at least able to teach and show me a fair attempt at airboat fun ,
That and every video ( not many out there ) i can find with a Warp 6 sounds like my X wifes hi piched voice going rite thru me .... ! Reading posts on this site has been helpful , i have allot to learn ...
I did find today that several of my engines have ended up on airboats .. although built for circletrack
And i will probably end up with something like that if i like this stuff ! I ran the reg , its a 2002
GFX , BTW , im thinkin it would be more likely to have a sour engine if anything , and that
Would suck , but nothing earth shattering if thats the case ! Maybe i can pm u pics ... im kinda retarded on the commputer stuff ! Thx Warden

boatair
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby boatair » Sun May 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Warden wrote:How do u send pics on here ? , i appreciate your concern , I verified there actually being a boat at the
Location,, im from New york state (NOT City ) , its cash on pic up , so not sure what the point would be
Toying with me , i guess its possible tho , i wouldnt be my first pic of people to do that 2 ..
lol ...Nope ! I hope a 0320 150 is at least able to teach and show me a fair attempt at airboat fun ,
That and every video ( not many out there ) i can find with a Warp 6 sounds like my X wifes hi piched voice going rite thru me .... ! Reading posts on this site has been helpful , i have allot to learn ...
I did find today that several of my engines have ended up on airboats .. although built for circletrack
And i will probably end up with something like that if i like this stuff ! I ran the reg , its a 2002
GFX , BTW , im thinkin it would be more likely to have a sour engine if anything , and that
Would suck , but nothing earth shattering if thats the case ! Maybe i can pm u pics ... im kinda retarded on the commputer stuff ! Thx Warden

BTW GFX is Gilileo & Sons or Gilileo Fiberglass Products

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Mon May 22, 2017 7:56 am

Did he say it was a 150? Could be 160. 15% sounds a little high. The warp drive is going to sound like a weed eater no getting around that. But if you get it cheap enough and it is what he says it is, you can change the prop. Sounds like your knowledgeable around engines to know if something is running correct.

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Tue May 23, 2017 12:29 am

The tag on the engine says 150 , im pretty sure the owner knows less then me about airboats ,, and that is pretty much nothing ! I was going to blow $30k on a used diamondback that was on ebay, but i figured i will just get this little galileo and see how me and the dog get along with it , its not enough $$ to worry bout it , maybe its junk , maybe i will get lucky ? I have to begin somewhere ! In my area , there are NO airboats , ZERO , not sure of the reason , perhaps i will find out ! Im sure the kyakers will be proud of me ! W

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Tue May 23, 2017 5:13 am

Posting photos of airboat for warden! :thumbleft:

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Tue May 23, 2017 8:18 am

Great Find !! .. Image
Looks like the Good Lord figured it was time you had an airboat. :thumbleft:

You are a guy who would be able to use these: ( right click on the link, then select "Save Target As... " )

http://www.southernairboat.com/pdf/aircraftengines/lycoming/320/H2AD/Lycoming_76_Overhaul.pdf
http://www.southernairboat.com/pdf/aircraftengines/lycoming/320/H2AD/Lycoming_O-320-H_IPC_PC-122.pdf
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Postby diamondback0320 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 am

I could b wrong but that doesn't look like a 0320 h2ad to me..& the I'd tag doesn't say h2ad either..I own 1 & my manual says 100ll not 87.. Complete different motor if it's not valve train etc is all different..Nice looking boat tho

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Tue May 23, 2017 5:44 pm

You are correct, maybe a good thing you pointed that out. My bad. :blackeye:

I intended to put a qualifier in there that his engine was similar, but it may help anyway.

I was running late and omitted putting that in there. :oops: Thanks for the correction. :salute:
- Carl Sagan

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Tue May 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Thank u so much for those links ! My one worker is a pilot and he said all the 0320s he flys have been stamped
100LL ,,, he is of the impression that it is a higher hp engine that has the compression lowered for 80/87
That would be nice , as we have several thousand gallons of 112 sunoco at the shop ( they sponsor our cars )
So if it could be that simple as new slugs to up the compression , wiseco makes what ever we draw up for pistons pretty cheap ! Im getting ahead of myself a bit
... first i better learn to float and steer at the same time ! Lol

Warden
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Warden » Sat May 27, 2017 1:43 am

My answer to the original question ,,, Ok , from the little i now know , 0320 boat , really lite , warp drive 6 blade , 2700rpm on the trailer , pretty fast in the water , surprisingly fast in the water , GPS said 49 mph ,, that was up stream , down stream would have been faster , but my phone died so idk for sure ,,, anyways , i am going to need a ton more power for my conditions to run dry , like 3Xs the power or more , we had to tow the boat with a tractor to get started in the dry , which was flat & wet green grass ! Then the wet brown dirt , stopped me dead in my tracks , forget hills , not a snow balls chance in hell , the tractor had trouble pulling the boat up packed wet dirt hill , 4x4 tractor , i thoght it was going to pull the trailer ring out of the hull ! Now the chevy powered boat that was much larger , went ok here on dry , that was a dirt modified dart block , Brodix head near 700hp , 2.6:1 i think , no clue what prop , but on dry here , it was ok but not over powered at all , it was quick not fast on water , i dont know if it would get up my hill , but the customer seemed pleased when it pushed the truck and trailer up the ramp in park , ramp was prob slime !! But he smiled ! Based on how much pull i had to add with the tractor , there is NO way i would believe that a 4 cyl boat will run dry here, in the water , great , in tall grass no problem ,, on wet brown dirt and green wet mowed grass , here at my farm , NO , not a chance , not even close , Fun as hell in the water tho , and much quieter then i figured it would be , 60" prop , steel coat bottom , it hates green grass , i have had ancors that dont grab as well ! Lol. , this is my feed back , for what its worth ! Im no expert in airboats , but i am with tractors and engines , we are all shocked at how hard it was to pull on flat ground with a tractor , that is my guage ! Im open to reccomendations , and i get that how fast it is in the water is prob making it less good dry , perhaps 300hp in this 11' hull with the rite prop may start to work , but like this my dog could not even ride with me ! This was all one 180lb person , good luck with your boat ,,, whatever u decide to get , W

Return to “Airboat Talk”