Panther Torque Box Issues

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Georgia River Rat
Southern Airboat Member

Panther Torque Box Issues

Post by Georgia River Rat »

Hello fellow airboaters. I'm new here to the site and I came for the reason of a dear friend. Here's the delima: My best friend is retired and devotes the majority of his time to enjoying his passion, boating and the outdoors. In the last several years, he has become an avid airboater after the purchase of a nice, used Hamant boat. Shortly after purchase, he upgraded to a brand new 383 crate motor. Shortly after the installation of the new motor, he was rear-ended while pulling his boat to the landing. The boat suffered enough damage to warrant replacement of the boat. He had Hamant build a new hull for his rigging. While at Hamant, his boat was left in the weather and rain, which resulted in one of the cylinder on the motor filling with water. Now, he has a continuous issue with that one cylinder fouling plugs. This issue has yet to be resolved. Nonetheless, my friend got his boat back and decided to do a few upgrades. This is where the current problem begins. He changed to a 3-blade prop and decided to purchase the new Panther Torque Box. He was sold on the claim of a "much quieter" gear box as opposed to the Rotator gear box that he was currently running, so he spent the extra money and made the purchase. Shortly after purchase and install, he noticed more noise than usual and had Panther look at the box. Panther agreed that the box had issues and needed to be re-machined. I beleive Panther eneded up replacin the gear box with a completely new box. Fast forward and he is still having the same issue; lots of noise and nothing like Panther claims for their product. Now, Panther has requested that my friend bring his boat by so that the operations manager for Panther can "take the boat out for the weekend so he can hear it for himself". My friend is VERY paticular about his boat, or any of his belongings for that matter. He is stroking out that he's being asked to turn over the keys to his beloved airboat to a stranger. I would feel the same. You might as well ask the guy for a night with his wife. Yes, he's that bad, and rightfully so. He feels like Panther hasn't offered considerate customer service. I think Panther should take the initiative to work around a customer's schedule rather than working around their own. My buddy feels like just a number and that he's not getting very good customer support. I agree. My buddy took the salesman's pitch and claims on their gear box and spent the extra money on a gear box that has NOT delivered what it was designed and bought to do. Anyone else see the problemishes here? What ever happened to good customer satisfaction and making good on a product? Someone from Pathetic needs to ride/run the boat to figure this out, but NOT at the expense or burden to the customer. Panther, call this guy, YOUR customer, and make things right. Work with YOUR customer and work around HIS schedule, not yours. I hope someone that knows someone or maybe a Panther employee will see this and pass it on to the proper people. Also, my buddy is a vet and has many friends that also airboat, so they often purchase what others in the group have purchased and like. Right now, everyone in the group are waiting to see if the issue with the box is fixable and also what Panther will do to make it right. Until then, Panther is a NO-GO for us. Thank you kindly for the time anyone took to read this. Please feel free to comment with your thoughts and/or suggestions of how I can help my best friend out and the best approach to this issue. Again, many thanks. Panther, if you would like to remedy this directly with the customer, his last name is Principi. His name should be on file and it shouldn't be difficult to figure how to contact him.

Georgia River Rat
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Panther Torque Box Issues

Post by Georgia River Rat »

Damn. Lots of grammatical and spelling errors in my post. Sorry, folks. I hope you guys and gals can read around my errors and comprehend my post. It was late and I just finished working a 14 hour shift. My apologies.

swampjunkie
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swampjunkie »

I would think that since this is a new product for panther they would want to resolve.
If I read this correctly they already repaired or replaced one torque box. If that is the
case and still issues, I would ask them to bring one of their test boats with the torque box
installed and meet me at a mutual time and place with my boat. Then take them both out
and see the difference in noise on their boat compared to your friends boat. Then you will
have a real comparison that you can see, feel and hear. Your friend can drive their boat and
see if the torque box reacts the same as his. If not then they can get on his boat and drive his with him on it to see the problem. If both boats are out at the same time then you have identical test situations you can compare other than the ride of the different hulls. Motor and prop set up may be different
but, I would ask them to bring a motor prop set up that is as close to his as possible.

You mentioned that your friend is retired so a mutual time during their work hours should not be an issue. You did not mention where he lives so meeting place could present a problem. However if this is his passion I would get there and work with them to get a resolution so this does not become a thorn every time he goes out for a ride and detracts from his recreational fun.

I currently own a Rotator 268 and will watch this as I have thought about the torque box and the ox box
when I replace in the future. I have not had any problems with my rotator and have always had good
dealings with Panther / Classic Airboats.

They have been in business a long time and they answer their phone. If your friend is unhappy he
needs to reach out to them and communicate that to Panther. Again he is retired and the squeaky
wheel will eventually get some oil. I hope they are both able to come to an amicable resolution.

Thank you and your friend for your service! :old_glory:

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 406 JAMIE »

X2 on panther being in bussiness for along time i was born and raise in brevard county where panther is and im 51.
X 2 on the rotator gearbox lived it 2.12 never had a problem 1 out of it and it was a 1998 gearbox.

Hope all is gets worked out y all plz besafe. :thumbleft: :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Georgia River Rat can we assume the box is setup and mounted correctly to the engine using the correct mounting hardware?

Has the prop & hub been inspected for any abnormalities? (original units from wreck?)

Could the suspect cylinder be causing any harmonics through the box?
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

My limited knowledge on the Torque drive is they were made with two different styles of gears. A straight cut REM were the original Gen 1 design and they then produced Torque drives with Gen 2 helical cut gears much like the elite OX Box.

Do you know what gears are in the drive you are dissatisfied with?

We don't see many Torque drives up our way. I would love to run one honestly to compare it to my Rotator.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

In case you are going WTF is REM ?

But were afraid to ask..... Swamp!

http://www.pole2flagracing.com/rem-surf ... tment.html

Short version is a chemical and vibratory process that makes the metal as smooth as could be with less or no imperfections.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Have you checked the flexplate for cracks and are you running a dowel in the crank to flexplate?

Buddy had a stringer ( I know not the same box ) that made all kinds of noise, sent it back with no issues. They asked about crank dowel he installed and the issue went away. Another buddy had a 1st Gen Ballistic that the gears stared to come apart, Shane replaced it quickly and without issue.

Just possibilities.

Return to “Airboat Talk”