350 chevy airboat

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
jb96
Southern Airboat Member

350 chevy airboat

Post by jb96 »

I'm planning on building my first boat it will be a 13 foot river master haul with a 350 chevy motor on it without a gear reduction. I know if I put a big prop on it that it would be the best but would a 68 in 5 blade warp be ok until I can get a bigger prop? Also what else would I need to convert it over from a motor that works in a car for it to work in a boat? I grew up on aircraft boats so I really don't know much about car boats any info would be helpful thanks

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Re: 350 chevy airboat

Post by 406 JAMIE »

that prop will get u by but no runing dry maybe.and theres really nothing to putting car motor out of a car into a airboat maybe cam swap .well i had a 350ci/330hp gm crate engine for a car i put in my 98 alumn diamond back deepsided hull 13'6 x 7'6 old school hull.with 2ft grass rake and 1/4in poly with a 2.12 rotar and it had 6bld wrap drive 80in wide woyld not push for love or money until i talked to patty at whirlwind and got a 3bld ex 79in wide and that boat would run dry after that no problem with 2other people.so if u can run a gearbox ur hull is big enough.u will be alot happier and if u run a 2.12 or 2.37 u can run sbc/bbc and probly keep same prop like i did did kill 2birds with1stone.
Yall plz besafe :angel4: :rebel: :florida:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

Go low rpm big prop what gear box? I mean a prop over 72 inch. What hp motor? What gear box? then you get the prop that works with those.

Coastslider
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Coastslider »

My 13'8" Diamond Back does great. It has a 72" water Walker signature series on it. Was an old fwc hull aluminum . Has 355 with low end rv cam in it.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

That prop will do fine. I ran a DD 350 with a 69"
5 blade warp for years.

It wasn't a hill burner, but it was a great boat. Got 5-7 mpg. Could frog all night on a few gallons of pump gas. Was reliable, and did a great job of getting me into hunt camp as long as it was moist on the trail.

Just keep it LIGHT!
Mark 7:9

jb96
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jb96 »

mojoe wrote:That prop will do fine. I ran a DD 350 with a 69"
5 blade warp for years.

It wasn't a hill burner, but it was a great boat. Got 5-7 mpg. Could frog all night on a few gallons of pump gas. Was reliable, and did a great job of getting me into hunt camp as long as it was moist on the trail.

Just keep it LIGHT!
Awesome that's great! it needs new poly but I'm thinking of filling the bolt holes and just doing slick bottom to take weight out it doesn't need to be fast just something to get me out to camp and to the tower and I'll be happy I may get a gear reduction or just run it for a while then sell it and get a nice 4 cylinder boat thanks for the info!

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

The motor is the same you just remove the vacume advance. You will need a radiator thats probably your critical designen making sure it donsent have traped air - fill tank and some way of burping if the radiator is below the motor. Make sure all caps have lanyards on them - like the oil fill cap will come off and destroy your prop.

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 »

Trust me when I say this..get rid of the river master if you plan running any dry..my buddy had 1 with a 350 with a cpl different props & it was a heavy pig!

jb96
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jb96 »

Yeah I'm going to take the radiator out of the truck I'm taking the motor out and probably mount it under the motor or on top not sure which would be better and the lanyards on the caps is a good idea I would've never thought about that I think I need a oil cooler as well I also need to find a prob adapter and I'm not planning on running much dry my dad owns part of possum head so that area doesn't have much dry so that boat will be fine for my first one atleast and I'm taking the poly off and replacing it with slick bottom to take weight out I don't need a fast one plus I will probably build it run it for a few months to a year and sell it and get a aircraft boat

NorthWestFloridaBoy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by NorthWestFloridaBoy »

I had a 12'6" Gilileo glass boat with a direct drive 350 and it ran dry OK. Came with a narrow 70x34 sensenich, had an air cleaner lid go through it, then bought a new 72x30 sensenich wide blade kevlar wrapped wood prop on it. Ran dry better with the wide blade, got way lower cruise rpms also, but my fuel usage went up because that prop was way heavier than the one I replaced I guess. I could stay on plane in Deepwater down to around 1350 rpm or so. I have a video of it running dry on my YouTube channel. Just type in bossofthemoss and it's on there. It was a fun fun fun boat and was very reliable and cheap to maintain. It wasn't fancy or super fast, but it was an airboat and it got me on the water. I miss that old boat. Build your setup as light as possible is what I recommend. I mean very very light. Weight is your mortal enemy on a dd v8 sbc boat. Build it right, build it light, and get out there and have fun...

Return to “Airboat Talk”