Federal Wild and Scenic River designation 4 Kissimmee River ?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Federal Wild and Scenic River designation 4 Kissimmee River ?

Post by gladesman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:05 pm

May want to ask Orlando District 9 Congressman Soto about this since he is courting Dept of Interior Secretary Zinke to get it done.

So much for the PUA rules if this flies.

OBTW designation could rule over entire flood plain/watershed.

Gladesman

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Federal Wild and Scenic River designation 4 Kissimmee River ?

Post by lariat » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:07 pm

What is the OBTW? Do you have more info, or a link to let our voices be heard?

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm guessing it means oh by the way

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gladesman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:34 pm

lariat wrote:What is the OBTW? Do you have more info, or a link to let our voices be heard?
OBTW = Oh By The Way

Florida US Congressman Soto's office might be a good place to start researching as to the why's of his idea along with learning all U can about this type of Federal designation (just google it) and keeping your eyes and ears WIDE open from now on and into the future. Who knows there may be a tie in with the Northern Everglades/Headwaters Wildlife Refuge being expanded from what the excerpt below reports.

The excerpt below is all a few people know for sure as of this moment -

Excerpt below is from the June 24, 2017 edition of ECO-Voice Digest - - Note: bold and large print by me.

My role will only be as the messenger here after the Headwaters Refuge fiasco - So Good Luck to All

Rep. Darren Soto gets commitments from Interior Secretary on Everglades and Drilling ban
June 23, 2017 by Frank Torres Leave a Comment
Congressman Darren Soto had the opportunity to engage Secretary of the Interior, Ryan Zinke, on Capitol Hill on Thursday, where he had the chance to ask where Zinke and White House stood on various environmental issues effecting the state.

During a meeting of the House Committee on Natural Resources, Soto was able to push Zinke towards designating the Kissimmee River as a National Wild and Scenic River which he believes is key to protecting the Northern Everglades.
"It's my goal to be done in Florida sometime after the break." said Zinke referring to the upcoming 4th of July holiday and adding he had met with Governor Rick Scott on the issues "My commitment to you is to work together to find solutions.

Gladesman

Krahammer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Krahammer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:31 am

I have concerns about the proposed designation. If this happens, you will have Federal oversight and control over Florida Sovereign property. I ask you, when has the federal government ever gotten anything right, especially when it comes to the use of land? Take a look at what the feds have done in the Big Cypress. Right now, the Kissimmee River and its floodplain is freely available for regular folk's use, and is controlled only by state regulations. You can hunt, fish, camp, and ride your airboat to your heart's content. Mark my words, if the feds take over, air boats will be the first to go.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:27 am

Absolutely no way I would want Feds to get their hands on this. Would rather see it made into a parking lot. At least then you could use it
Big cypress is a good example along with everglades national park. And if managers get their way Biscayne national park.
You want to get kicked out, give it to the Feds.

hdsadey
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hdsadey » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:10 pm

The Myakka River is designated Wild and Scenic. No airboats allowed North of US 41. Hell we are not supposed to run an outboard faster than an idle. Haven't made it to Kissimmee yet, don't want to see the same thing happening there.
02 Predator 12' 0320 Lycoming
92 Big O 13' Ford 408 Windsor DD Dry Runnin MOFO!
99 Donzi 16 Classic 350 Vortec

Return to “Airboat Talk”