Airboat or Surface drive?

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
VJ
Southern Airboat Member

Airboat or Surface drive?

Postby VJ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:10 am

Hello,
New to forum. Any of you guys run Yankeetown to Wacassassa? I will be retiring soon from Fire dept and would like to purchase a Surface Drive or Airboat. Would like to see if anyone would allow me to ride along on an Airboat on some of the creeks in the Yankeetown area. Not looking for anyones fishing spots, but would like to see which boat would be the most applicable. I would be willing to pay for fuel and eats. Thanks.
VJ

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Airboat or Surface drive?

Postby barhopper » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Airboat

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:10 pm

While you may expect biased opinions on an airboat board, unanimous agreement against a surface drive could be easily justified with no bias involved. Likely the only person to tell you different, would be the Surface Drive Salesman. :lol: (And then, only IF he'd never owned and/or operated an airboat).

The fact that you would pose such a question makes it sound as though you've never run a surface drive. Even when you have deep, clean water, operating a surface drive is like work compared to an airboat. Throw in shallow and/or weed laden and the work load increases, sometimes exponentially. While it may sound counter-intuitive if you've never operated either, an airboat is additionally far more maneuverable.

I kind of take retirement to imply at least some kind of quality of life.
Compared to an airboat, a surface drive simply doesn't excel at promoting that.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

VJ
Southern Airboat Member

Postby VJ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. You would be correct, as I have never owned either. Guess I will start looking for an Airboat.
Thx

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby papajack » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:29 am

PM sent.

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Duece » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Airboat. Chicks don't take their clothes off for surface drives...

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Waggs » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:46 pm

Surface Drive, quieter and more fuel efficient. Already too many airboats out there.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

ringneck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ringneck » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:28 am

Had surface drive longtail, short tail, and a18 ft. V8 true mudboat. Only reason I ran those rigs instead of Airboats
was that some Wildlife Management Areas we hunted did not allow any Airboats. Given a choice AB was always my pick.
When I retired in 08 I quit working my assofft wrestling with Surface Drives. RETIREMENT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN.
Ride a good AB one time where you plan on spending your free time. You won't be disappointed.
16x8 AIRRANGER RHINO, LEVATATOR 450, CH3, WHIRLWIND 3B-80
Aircraft hand prop tractor, half guard old school survivor

VJ
Southern Airboat Member

Postby VJ » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 pm

Thx Ringneck, think I will pursue the airboat. Appreciate the advice.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:29 pm

An airboat will go everywhere a surface drive goes but a surface drive won't go everywhere an airboat will. A perfect world would be having both. I start fishing about every week starting in September. Give me a holler, I'll haul you around a time or two.

VJ
Southern Airboat Member

Postby VJ » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks Barhopper, I really appreciate that. I will contact you in Sept or Oct. Would really like to see what I'm up against in those creeks.
Vj

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 pm

No problem. I usually go at least once a week.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:45 pm

I fish that area as well and anything with a prop is no fun, lots of big nasty sharp rock. I see guys poling, trolling motoring or dragging boats as I just wave a slide by. South to yankeetown is not so bad but north to cedar key is nasty and very rough on a boat. If you ran a surface-drive you would still need poly in my opinion or you would end up with a hole in the boat. The water was murky and I hit a big sharp rock at the end of last year, shaved a football size piece of my poly off and poked a quarter size hole through my hull. BTW we hammered the reds that day Caught at least 15 over slot reds or 50 slot reds and of course only kept the FWC generous limit of 1 red (what a joke). Once you ride in an airboat an fish that area you will get a better understanding
As barhopper said sept is the start.

VJ
Southern Airboat Member

Postby VJ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for information and advice Gator.

mixedbag
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mixedbag » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:08 am

PM'd you.
RAGE IN A CAGE

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby nomad41 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Airboat is the way to go. You will want one with poly on bottom. Oh just so you know there are only 2 kinds of airboaters. The ones that have sunk one and those that just haven't yet lol
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA,BAHCC,OAA
http://www.suncoastyachtservices.com
14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:35 pm

if you need to run dry or areas too shallow for a prop, less then 6-8 inches depth, get a airboat, and they are more fun. if you can limit to where there is minimum 6-8 inches of water, a surface drive will be a lot less expensive, better boat to actually hunt out of, and quieter, thus a better hunting boat. but not near the pucker factor or the fun
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Postby GeeLeDouche » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:58 pm

get both..

I have both and they both have their benefits. the hyperdrive Mudbuddy does awesome on gas and if its only 2 or 3 of us going, I'll take the mud boat every time! If I want to chase mallards in puddles of water only a couple inches deep and have 4 of us going,, i'll spend the $ on gas and go blast some ducks. I can use the duck boat year round as a fishing boat and the airboat is only viable during duck season here. the fun factor driving the airboat is over the top. but the efficiency of the mud boat sure makes it appealing a lot of times, especially in early season duck hunting. It just doesn't make sense to compete with the crowds to shoot a handful of young early season ducks and spend 50 bucks on airboat gas on top of that. but when the mallards and pintails come in and they are all sitting on puddles that mudboats cant get to, or on the ice the airboat has the upper hand. so its a trade off.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
1648"M (& floatation pods) "Lowe" modified V Jon boat with a 31hp mudbuddy hyperdrive.

FrikkiDikki
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FrikkiDikki » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:17 pm

I too, have both . A Mudbuddy Hyperdrive on a 15/52 aluminum tunnel hull, and an O-360 on a 12' Cottonmouth. 75% of the time, you'll find me out in the surface drive. It's quiet, even with the BPS pipe, and much more economical. However, for gigging and getting into places where you might have to drive over stuff or run dry, nothing but an Airboat will get the job done. Both can be big fun if you're just out joy riding, but the surface drive is more of a slow motion kinda fun. Either way, it'll require some practice to be a safe and competent operator.

Return to “Airboat Talk”