A man's word

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: A man's word

Post by Deano »

That isn't something I could confirm or deny with that engine. However, based on my
Caddy experience, that certainly does not sound to be outside the realm of possibility.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Jason Finser
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jason Finser »

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad to be making a good impression.

I have been on the receiving end of a bad deal before. I know how bad of a taste that can put in ones mouth.

I just happened to be in a unique position where I am able to do some good.

The motor isn't anything special.

I bought it off of Craigslist, ran it, tested it out. Beefed it up, and ran it for a total of about 50 hours before deciding to go even bigger. It has been a good strong dependable motor. It certainly has a lot more power than a SBC 350.

Mark IV 454 High Perf Pass ... Low HP but high TQ 4 bolt main.

He can have it dirt cheap. I'm not even worried about the price.

Sent from my N9518 using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector »

diamondback0320 wrote:
bonecollector wrote:Glen Treadwell had a 355 built that the customer never picked up you may try him to see if he still has it
Do you know Glen Treadwell's# & where is he located?
His shop is the muscle machine in Lake county his number is 352-516-4025
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

Jason Finser
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jason Finser »

Glen Treadwell is a damn good builder. I had my 502 done there. No problems with it at all sofar, and my uncle has had a couple engines done there. He does tours, and no engine problems and has been running the same engine for years.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 »

Similar thing happened to me over a year ago. Drove 1.5 hours to pick up a 383 shortblock to replace my Son's blown up 350. The guy showed me the paperwork saying it was a Blue Print series 385" shortblock. Pistons and cylinders looked pretty good, said it ran great. Said the only reason he pulled it was to go bigger. Didn't realize it was junk until we installed it in the boat. Cranked it up, and it sounded like the world was coming apart. Immediately pulled the engine, and upon tear down, both the rod and mains were beyond trashed, and the crank was junk. I personally have never seen bearings that bad, and I've seen quite a few. In a nutshell, a classic "rattle can rebuild". I paid $700 for the shortblock, and fortunately for me, I was able to salvage the block, pistons and rods. I bought a new stroker crank, new rings, honed the cylinders myself and had the whole rotating everything balanced at a machine shop. I then assembled everything myself, and she's still running to this day. I was somewhat fortunate, I ended up with a 385" stroker for less than 2k including the $700 I paid initially. Yes, I called and texted the guy several times over a month or so, no response (imagine that). To answer your question, yes, there are still honest people out there, but as we all know, there's also quite a few that will look you straight in the eye and knowingly decieve you and not think twice about it. The old saying goes, fool me once, shame on you........................
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 »

Just wanted to give an update..my buddy did recover half his $ back & was promised the rest but don't know when..on another note we made the trip to umatilla today to look at the 454 that the gentleman (Jason Finser) offered up in this post & we did purchase..just wanted to give a thanks to him.. wasn't able to start it but I believe we made a good purchase.. hopefully within 2 weeks he'll be back up and running..like others have stated in this thread their are still good people in this world..but anyone can get burned at any given moment..just wanted to say thanks

Jason Finser
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jason Finser »

Just glad that I was able to help out. I'm looking forward to hearing how much better the boat rides with that motor Image

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Just wanted to give an update..we were kinda skeptical on wether or not he would get all his $ back..but the guy stuck to his word &gave a refund on the $ in 2 payments..so this rant is over :thumbleft: now onto the 454 installation & hopefully b back up and on the water bout 2 weeks

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

While it kind of bites to have had such a PIA midstream, I don't doubt for a
second your buddy will be happier, longer the way it ultimately panned out.

It's always nice to see more confirmation that ' keeping the faith ' has it's rewards. 8)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC »

Well, this turned out rather good for you guys in the end. Glad to see that.

Good luck with the new motor.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Just wanted to give thanks where it's due.. Jason offered up a motor for my buddy and after a few weeks of getting all accessories and building a new engine stand that is stronger for the BB we got her together & did maiden voyage weekend b4 last & with the exception of the carb tuning and prop pitch it run good..took care of those little things last week and rode Saturday evening and the boat ran flawless..sure beats the ole wore out small block that was on it.. thanks again Jason!

Jason Finser
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jason Finser »

I'm just glad that I was in a position to help.
Him calling me, and hearing how happy he is with the performance and how much better it runs put a smile on my face.

Keep me posted.

Return to “Airboat Talk”