What MOTOR and HULL do I have?

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
dk9904
Southern Airboat Member

What MOTOR and HULL do I have?

Postby dk9904 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 am

I Just bought a new boat and need help with what size Lycoming I have and what Hull I have. Previous owner said it was a 125 and the hull is 2007 Homeade. Here are some pictures. Thanks for the help
Attachments
20170829_170729.jpg
20170830_090631 (1).jpg
20170829_1706511.jpg

dk9904
Southern Airboat Member

Re: What MOTOR and HULL do I have?

Postby dk9904 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:04 am

Motor has no ID tag that I could find
Attachments
20170829_170753.jpg
20170829_170800.jpg

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:52 am

Well, it's not a 125 gpu case and it's not a 125-D2 otherwise there would be a breather at right rear of case. It very well could be a 150, the hull is hard to tell, too many different styling ques.
I never finish anyth,,,.

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby stroked470 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 pm

That is a 320 short stud case with angle valve 480cyls. No backing plate on the cylinders with the acorn nuts means it has short studs which were on some of the 150hp 320s. Basically 160-170hp

dk9904
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dk9904 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:57 am

Thanks for the info! That's good news I have a bigger engine then I thought. Anyone have suggestions on the hull I have?

dk9904
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dk9904 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:00 am

Do I need to run AV Gas in this motor or will pump gas work?

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:37 am

I'd run avgas, car gas will hammer the ring lands, also crack the cylinder heads. Where did you buy the boat from?
I never finish anyth,,,.

dk9904
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dk9904 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:23 pm

I bought it in the Ft myers area

Toad
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Toad » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:19 am

Resembles a "Fannie. Tailer hull.

Sent from my XT1609 using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

dk9904
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dk9904 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:15 am

Thanks for the help! The Hull has some big dents in the bottom. Does anyone know how to get the dents out since it is hard to access under the deck? Also it rides great at 25mph in the water but as soon as you go over that it wants to nose dive, could this be caused by the dents in the bottom?

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:52 am

good info on this link: http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... 0&p=276809

1. if your bow is plowing - raising the rear of the engine, will raise the bow
2. any dents, dings or defects can and does affect the hull performance

Deano wrote:I think you are misunderstanding a little bit of the theory you're asking about.

Given that everything else is according to Hoyle . . .

A hull will generally run on the best in the water and on the hill when it is set up to run 'free'. That point would be when the hull is trimmed to the extent that it almost does, but does not porpoise. Raising the rear of the engine, will raise the bow. When the bow is raised to much, it will start to porpoise. That would be the point when you have to much of a good thing. It should be set up to run just short of porpoising. By setting a hull up this way, you minimize the amount of wetted surface, reduce drag, and consequently will attain a 'free-er' running hull. With the hull setup like this, it will generally do better on the ground as the bow is not pushing down creating more drag.

Consequently, to say it should be set to porpose is WRONG. If it does porpose the rear of the engine needs to be lowered. What happens then is that with the rear of the engine to high, it tries to lift the bow beyond the capability of the available power to hold it up there. Then the bow falls, bounces off the water, and tries to lift it again. An endless cycle . . .
When you are running dry, a hull setup like this will create more drag on the ground because as it is trying to lift the bow it is actually pushing the stern down, creating more drag.

In other words, wether in the water or on the ground, it will perform the best when the angle of thrust is parrallel to the surface the boat is on. If the thrust is angled up, it produces excessive drag on the stern (and the bow porpoises). If the thrust is angled down, it produces excessive drag on the bow (and the bow plows). The objective of tuning the hull is to reduce or eliminate drag.

This is why people who understand what is going on, tune a hull NOT to porpoise, but to be very near that limit. 8)

Deano
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:01 am

I'd say the hull is probably homemade; I've never seen a Taylor with a squared transom like that. Your nose diving issue is almost certainly caused by the large dents on your bottom if they are near the transom. A friend of mine acquired a very large dent on the port side of his boat's bottom near the transom, and now his boat noses over on the starboard side at speed because of it.

dk9904
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dk9904 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:32 pm

The nose dive does not happen when applying throttle only, it happens when you get up to a certain speed even when you let off the throttle. So I think it must be the dents in the bottom like you said. there are some large ones in the back area under the motor. Do I need to put a new bottom on or can these be bent back out and apply a new coat of quick slick? Being a deck over it is not easy to access the dents from the top side.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:13 pm

I've redone 3 deckovers. If the dents are as large as you say the proper way is to remove the decks. Even then, once the aluminum has been stretched into a dent you can reshape it some, but it will never be perfectly flat and it won't be as strong as original. If I were you, and I didn't have a ton of money invested in that boat, I would band-aid it as best you can without taking the decks off and enjoy it. Try putting some Fasco Fastone epoxy cement in the dents to level them out (this will work as long as the dents are not too large). This is a similar concept to putting bondo on a vehicle panel before paint work. I did this on one boat that I did not want to remove the decks on, and it worked very well, granted the dents aren't too large.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:18 pm

With regards to the nose over, I am by no means as experienced as others on here, but from my experience I would say that is occurring because once the passing water reaches a certain speed under the hull the large dent is creating an air pocket and lifting the rear of the boat, causing it to nose over.

A buddy of mine has a Thurman that always road flat, after a hunting trip where he had to run some dry ground he developed a pretty large dent on the port side of the bottom near the transom. Ever since that at about 25 mph the boat will lift from the rear and nose over starboard side.

Return to “Airboat Talk”