Strickly Redfish Boat

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
fishytales
Southern Airboat Member

Strickly Redfish Boat

Postby fishytales » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Looking for recommendations on a hull, motor combo to use? Intercoastal and back bay and shallow water. Plan to use for fishing only. Ideas, thoughts, and advice sought?
Thanks,

Ed
Flagler Beach

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Strickly Redfish Boat

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 pm

I use a 15ft 11inch River Master with 3/8 bolted poly. Any time you run open water, bays or island breaks having a bigger solid boat is a blessing.

Regardless of make or power a slightly larger boat with high sides makes your trip safer.

fishytales
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fishytales » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks very much! I'll check that boat out?

Have a great New Years.

ringneck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ringneck » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:01 am

Swamp has it right. High sides, extra thick bottom and poly. Solid two foot rake up front, 15-18 X8 ft. hull. Stainless Everything. It only takes one encounter with the wake of a big offshore rig on the Intercoastal to convince someone that choosing a bigger airboat was the safe way to go.
Running across bays in rough weather is much more tolerable in a solid boat with two-up rear control.
You might consider investing in a professionaly guided Redfish trip in an airboat to see firsthand before you decide..
Good luck in your search.
16x8 AIRRANGER RHINO, LEVATATOR 450, CH3, WHIRLWIND 3B-80
Aircraft hand prop tractor, half guard old school survivor

fishytales
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fishytales » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Great advice! Thanks

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:06 am

Obviously try and stay with material for a Saltwater environment, where you plan to fish can have a bearing on the boat. This rig works for us, we fish the Nature Coast area.
Attachments
64001C41-E4B0-4A4C-A1B6-DEE2407FA86A.jpeg
22BD5BDB-DC06-400F-B2EA-CF9A929475A4.jpeg

Blackcoffee
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Blackcoffee » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:13 am

Where are you going to fish and are you looking new or used?
I have had these boats and it depends on a lot of factors but for the best all around maybe a 15’ deckover with a 24” grass rake. Get a welded boat for saltwater and all stainless rigging. I found car motors with at least 500 ft lbs of torque were the best. I had aluminum blocks for less weight and sprayed the engine with corrosion x.
GTO 14' Deckover

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 am

We run and fish from Yankee town to north of cedar key. Most of the area is very rocky. I run a 14' x 7-6 alumitec with 18" sides 5.3 with a 2.68 stinger and 79" 3 bld R. Been fish with it for 9 years. Had a 15' rivermaster for 4 years but beat it to pieces. Started with a DD caddy on the rivermaster then move it to the Alumitec, then changed to gearbox setup.
Not sure of you budget, but my caddy boat did fine in the water and would some of the grassy areas. Put it i bind and you were pushing. We caught just as many fish as the high dollar boats.

Current setup works fine for 3 and fishing gear but it is a little low in the water. Next hull will be similar length with higher sides and 8" wider or maybe wider. wider boat sit higher in the water and is more stable. My current hull is a little to lightweight for where we fish but has extra stringers and is over 20 years old. Rigging is all stainless steel.

I think a good gulf boat for me would be 14x8 or 8-4 6061 with .190 bottom and .125 sides 20" deep with 7 stringers plus 2/3 length stringer in between built by Alumitec or Streamline. As for power my 5.3 does ok and it is maybe 300hp. Would love 500-600hp but that may not be in the budget I will mostly likely run a 6.0 iron block with 350 to 400 hp.

Not really fond of a deck-over in saltwater, just a personal thing.

Just my 2 cent good luck and enjoy

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:19 pm

This rig is about 12 years old now, and was built for saltwater use, fishing and hauling gear to the hunt camp.

It’s 18X8 with a two foot solid catcher, high transom, all stainless rigging, 454CID/425HP Edelbrock crate motor, with 2/1 belt drive and three blade Whirlwind stump puller prop.

For scale; the guy on the front is a good 300 pounds.

This pic was taken @11 months ago.
Attachments
213F1C3A-904A-4526-A890-543074C90F01.jpeg
Last edited by Rick McC. on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Rick McC. wrote: For scale; the guy on the front is a good 300 pounds.
:lol:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

George-LandOLakes
Southern Airboat Member

Postby George-LandOLakes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Mine is a 16x7 cutdown Marty Braay hull with a 1.8 Chevy Ecotech 2 to 1 belt drive. floats in 6 inches. Fishes three comforably

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm

I was reading this and started wondering if anyone running saltwater with an aluminum boat with polymer had ever removed a portion of the polymer to inspect the boat bottom where I'm sure saltwater gets between the bottom and the polymer. I would have guessed that a fiberglass boat would be better if run in saltwater and especially if there is any kind of material on the bottom that would catch saltwater between the hull and material. I was thinking this but I could be wrong.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 am

It really is not that big of a concern if the correct alloy is used. Sometimes a corrosion problem can be found where the screws (stainless) go through the aluminum as they are dissimilar metals but that is usually late in the boats life.

What is really bad for aluminum is to have carpeted bunks made from pressure treated wood. When the bunks get wet with saltwater the carpet retains it and the chemicals in the pressure treated wood create a reaction that promotes electrolysis. I have seen boat bottoms that had many tiny pin holes only where the hull sat on the carpeted PT wood bunks. It is a serious threat to a hull.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:It really is not that big of a concern if the correct alloy is used. Sometimes a corrosion problem can be found where the screws (stainless) go through the aluminum as they are dissimilar metals but that is usually late in the boats life.

What is really bad for aluminum is to have carpeted bunks made from pressure treated wood. When the bunks get wet with saltwater the carpet retains it and the chemicals in the pressure treated wood create a reaction that promotes electrolysis. I have seen boat bottoms that had many tiny pin holes only where the hull sat on the carpeted PT wood bunks. It is a serious threat to a hull.

Agree 1000%!

I personally will never have poly on an airboat hull. In my experience (seeing others problems) it’s not a good mix with rocks and oyster bars. I also don’t like the idea of putting hundreds of holes in the bottom of a perfectly good hull. :D

A guy at our hunt camp who bought a used boat with poly is having it removed, and all the holes welded.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:30 pm

So, what is the thoughts about a fiberglass boat with poly on it for I have one here that is a good old boat but no aircraft motor on it. I have a complete rigging with a 305 small block chevy so I was thinking about putting the rigging on it and using it to do fishing from. I'm hoping with the right prop setup it would do fine for fishing. Its a 12 foot long wide hull with high sides but have no idea what brand boat it is. I have a hamant 16 ft nine passenger but I really don't want to fish out of it but it doesn't have poly. Also, what kind of bunks would you use on a trailer hauling an aluminum boat if carpeted bunks create a problem if you get salt water in them?

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Rick,
You’re south of our fishing area and I don’t know what your area is like but I disagree with your comment about never owning a boat with poly. I’ve been running aluminum hulls with poly for over 25 years. It has saved me from damage many times while going over rocks and oyster bars. But to each his own. I also would not run a fiberglass hull out where we go. I see then from time to time but not to often.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:35 pm

My fiberglass Bray hull has 3/8 poly that is bolted. Works great, rough and tough doesn't leak. I run Cedar Key and the creeks my boat was built for netting and runs that area with no worry.

As far as bunks for an aluminum hull boat you will want to use the new synthetic bunk material or simply put the rubber bunk covers over the PT wood.
The problem is the combination of four elements being PT, carpet, saltwater and aluminum. If you take the carpet away your problem is solved.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 am

I am with Barhopper I will never have a saltwater boat without poly and been down the fiberglass route. Got a buddy C1gator his like his fiberglass and he works it hard. To me if you build a glass boat to handle the rock and bars it is just to heavy. If I was going to use glass for saltwater it would Marty Bray hull.
I owned a glass boat and will not have one for saltwater, even with poly it only last 3 years fishing hard.

My Alumitech I bought used, it is a 96 hull I have had 3 pcs of poly on it in the 10 yrs I have owned it. It is all beat up but still runs good on plane.

Streamline will be my next aluminum hull.
Last edited by One Eyed Gator on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm

What’s the deal with Streamline? I hadn’t heard of them but I see they’re located in Branford.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 am

Streamline is Doug Hamant, he is building hulls up our way. He does great work.

I saw one of his hulls at buddies place Circle S manufacturing and was impress with the work, but who knows one got one eye and don't see well with it, lol.

If your looking for a new hull it would be worth talking to him. Like it said it will be my next hull.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 pm

ONE EYE you calling my boat FAT...lol

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 am

No not fat but like when I was a kid they called me "husky" lol.
Which I took to mean well built, sturdy but with a little extra weight.

George-LandOLakes
Southern Airboat Member

Postby George-LandOLakes » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Here's a pic of my boat that I specifically built for saltwater fishing. SS cage. Aluminum floor. 16x7 cut down Marty Bray hull. 1.8 Ecotech. 13 gallon fuel tank. Runs some dry. Very economical. Cruises at 28 tops out at 38.
Attachments
dec 2009_resized.jpg
dec 2009_resized.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 799 times
my airboat.jpg

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 pm

The 15ft 11 inch Bray hulls are great saltwater boats. Marty is a craftsman and one of the vendors who has the swamphunter45 seal of approval.

He delivered a boat that does everything from the Gulf Islands to the swamp in Cadillac style! :stirpot:

Alvinlee1915
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Alvinlee1915 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Seminole hull with a O540 SV on it. Or anything with a carburetor. Just what I prefer.

Return to “Airboat Talk”