Making a comeback

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Keeth1123
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Making a comeback

Postby Keeth1123 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:32 pm

It’s been a while since I have been on this site, or on an airboat for that matter. I used to own a 13’ with a 350DD. That boat was built with a lot of assistance from members with this site. Unfortunately, I had to sell the boat about two years ago.

Since then, I have gotten the want for another boat, this time an aircraft motor like I’ve always wanted. Since it had been a long time since being behind the stick, can anyone answer this simple question?

How much wind is too windy to take out the airboat? Today, I was on Lake Hatchineha and it was pretty rough, but my little center console had no problems. The water today had white caps and about 10-12 mph of wind. I do remember taking my old airboat out in similar conditions, but I also remember almost sinking it at the port when coming back in.

Please advise.
:old_glory:

Alvinlee1915
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Making a comeback

Postby Alvinlee1915 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm

From my experience it's better to go riding with as little wind as possible.If it's 20-25 mph consistently than it's to windy. You'd be blowing around everywhere plus it makes it harder to keep control.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:35 pm

A part of it is the size of the body of water and direction of the wind.

Let me give an example

If your on a big body of water with a several mile span and the wind is from the North at 10-15 mph and you are running along the North edge your impact will be very small. Change that to the South side of that body of water and that wind will cause you grief and have waves and spray hitting on your port side.

I try to avoid open water when ever there is wind.

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Waggs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 pm

Dude, I’ve started across Hatchineaha during hunting season at 5am and got into white caps and thought to myself “I shouldn’t be out here, but can’t turn around now”. During the winter Hatch can get a nasty wind out of the north that will fool you when leaving the port.

I don’t have a wind speed rule of thumb, just kinda read the water. If it’s nasty and I’m already there, I’ll just stay to the edge until I can get to the marsh.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

Return to “Airboat Talk”