Lycoming 0290 prop

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
Southern Airboat Member

Lycoming 0290 prop

Postby jb96 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:31 pm

I have a lycoming O-290 with a 68in 5 blade warp on it. It needs a little more bottom end what would be a good recommend pitch on it? I understand it’s a low horse power engine and there are better props out there but it’s what I got so if I could just get recommended pitch settings for this prop or something close to the prop I have that would be appreciated thanks

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Lycoming 0290 prop

Postby Gary S » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:32 am

Sounds like a lot of prop for a 0290. Even flattened out I don't know if you have enough HP to turn it.You might be able to shorten blades. I understand the this is what I have. Maybe you can look into a trade somewhere.

Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:19 am

I have a 290 that runs amazingly well with plain ol 68x34 woodie.
It was redone with 435 A/V cylinders so it may be a little stronger than otherwise.

I would confidently say that a plain ol 68x32 or a 66x34 would perform better than your current prop ever has a chance to.
I know that isn't what you were hoping to hear, but it is the unvarnished truth. That engine and prop are just a bad combo.

You simply lack the power to turn the warp at a pitch that is efficient. The ways to combat that situation are to decrease
blade count and/or loose diameter. Unfortunately, both of those tactics are counter to gaining the low end push you seek.

I can't give you any better advice than what Gary already has. You're best bet would be to trade out of the situation you're
in. There may be a guy with a different engine that has the prop you need that would view your warp drive as an upgrade.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Southern Airboat Member

Postby fishonhenson » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 pm

I had a 60x40 on my old 290, could turn it 3100

Return to “Airboat Talk”