Florida road trip

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
RickMc
Southern Airboat Member

Florida road trip

Post by RickMc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:11 am

Hey guys. I’m heading south with my boat in tow. Escaping the snow for a little while and wanting to put some miles on the boat. We are starting in St Augustine and working our way down to Ft Lauderdale. I’m looking for some good places to ride along the way. Are there any good spots along St Johns river or Lake George? Appreciate the help. Thanks Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The glass is always half full....til I get a hold of it

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Florida road trip

Post by glades cat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:05 am

Check out Mack's Fish Camp as your southern destination. Marshall and his family have 5 generations of history there. They have cabins, cook house, pavilion, private boat ramp and a safe haven to enjoy the Glades. It's a great place and they are great folks.
http://www.macksfishcamp.com/

Have a great trip. Keep us posted.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 am

like Bk water and Glades cat have mentioned 3A south is a great place to ride and Mac's is a little slice of heaven IMO, can't beat Marshall and his family for knowledge of the woods and hospitality. Give us a shout out once you have a date and maybe some of us will come out and ride with you :cheers:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:14 am

RickMc wrote:Hey guys. I’m heading south with my boat in tow. Escaping the snow for a little while and wanting to put some miles on the boat. We are starting in St Augustine and working our way down to Ft Lauderdale. I’m looking for some good places to ride along the way. Are there any good spots along St Johns river or Lake George? Appreciate the help. Thanks Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I would recommend going to Loughmanns Lake Lodge in Mims Florida. Some of the best airboating in the state us located here.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 am

You have Lake George - lower St John, Flying Eagle and Potts preserve in hernando, Lake Kissimmee, Loughman Lake Mid - St John's and a few more as you going south on the upper St John's but I have never had the opportunity to visit that far south.

There also some great fishing and fun riding along the gulf coast from Hangan's cove south to - Steinehatchee - Suwannee - Cedar Key - Waccasassa Bay - Yankee Town - Crystal river - Homossasa down to above Hudson then the coast changes and very populated

Hope you enjoy your Trip

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:51 am

If you are cruising down the east coast then for sure put in at loughmans or Jolly Gator (off 46) and run south along the St. John's.

It's possible to run 100+ miles before hitting SR60 and have to turn around. The riding varies greatly along the way and there are many alternate paths and off shoots with camps and meeting spots scattered along the way.

Recommend trying to find a familiar local to show you around if you want to see everything, but exploring on your own is definitely a fun option.

Best to have a good poly bottom for St. John's but if your mindful you can run without one too.

Have a good trip!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

smokster
Southern Airboat Member

Post by smokster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:09 am

rodman and orange lake have some fine riding also

RickMc
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RickMc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:25 am

WOW. Thanks for all the tips. I will be looking into tonight when we stop again. We got lucky and outran the snow. I’ll be there by the weekend. We have plans to ride out of the Loxahatchi boat ramp and lake Kissimmee for the Freedom Ride. Looking forward to seeing it all I hope to meet some of you guys while I am down there. Thanks Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat

RickMc
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RickMc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 pm

We started to go to Loughmans yesterday but they were closed for a repair of some kind. So we went to the jolly gator. Food was good and riding was good. Saw a few gators and an eagle. Good times. Tomorrow we are thinking about going to Mack’s fish camp. My boat only really holds 2 adults and a kid. I’m coming with another couple and want to take turns doing some rides. Is Macks the best place? The other option is the Saw grass recreation boat ramp. Witch one would be better? Witch one would have more to do for the people who are waiting? I’ve been to sawgrass. Thanks again for the replies Rick

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 am

can't beat Mack's
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

RickMc
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RickMc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 am

We ended up going to saw grass. My grandson loved the zoo. The next day we went to the Loxahatchee boat ramp. Tried some fishing with no success but it was fun. Saturday my brother in law and I went to the Freedom Ride. Lots of cool boats and good people. Thanks guys who helped push me off. We are going to be up in Orlando toward the end of next week. Where is a good place to ride up there? Then back to frozen Pennsylvania. Thanks for the tips Rick

Return to “Airboat Talk”