Need Advice

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Palmettokid
Southern Airboat Member

Need Advice

Postby Palmettokid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Well my son and bought are first airboat, a deckover looks like a good starter boat sbc DD. Right now it has open headers I need to tone it down whats a good muffler or set up, I see must guys use flex tubing.
:old_glory:

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Need Advice

Postby Rick McC. » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:59 pm

unforgiven11B wrote:Mine uses 3” Stainless flex off of the headers that connect to Stainless magna flow mufflers, pretty common set up. And legal!

Same here.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

Palmettokid
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Palmettokid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Sounds like a plan

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:53 am

http://www.classicairboats.com/HEADERS--EXHAUST-Bullett-Mufflers-6-In--23436.Item.html

These are super popular around here and will outlast your stainless flex pipe by 3 or 4 times.

The flex pipe MUST be stainless or you won’t get a year out of it.
Mark 7:9

Palmettokid
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Palmettokid » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:22 am

So no flex pipe just weld them on the headers

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:13 am

unforgiven11B wrote:Mine uses 3” Stainless flex off of the headers that connect to Stainless magna flow mufflers, pretty common set up. And legal!

Yep, same here.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Chicken Man
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Chicken Man » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:06 pm

Take it to the muffler shop weld on two flow masters with regular exhaust pipe and flex joint on each side. Chinese knock offs are half price. Bolt it to the cage with muffler clamp welded to cross bar. That's how we do it up here.

Palmettokid
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Palmettokid » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks guys

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Well, we got nine years out of the first set of stainless flex pipe and Flowmasters, and have three years so far on the second set.

I expect to get several more years out of these, as we found that on the first set, the flex pipe was under quite a bit of stress, which we alleviated in routing the pipe this time.
Rick

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:17 am

Palmettokid wrote:So no flex pipe just weld them on the headers

Some do, but that’s not how most are. Too loud.

My point was that those are well made. You can use quality SS flex pipe and when it’s time to replace the flex, those will still be in good shape.

pierson skunkape
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby pierson skunkape » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Wow stay away from Flowmaster I have one in my window at the shop that completely rusted out in less than 2 years you can pick it up and shake it the bear up the baffles inside. You can pick it up and shake it the bear up the baffles inside a rattling.. customers come in and ask me about Flowmasters and they say well what's better I say everything's better cuz they're the biggest piece of s*** on the market for the money.. if you like that Flowmaster sound for Christ sakes I don't know why buy one of their knock-offs every one of them are better than a Flowmaster.

And those bullet Mufflers they just showed they don't even have a half an inch of matting inside for sound absorption those things are worthless.. a MagnaFlow with a 5 by 8 body with a two and a half or three in Center core has 20 times more sound absorption area than one of those bullets.
I wouldn't waste my time with him unless you think the extra 2 lb is going to sink your boat

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Skunkape, I am sure you are right about the sound dampening of a Magnaglow vs a bullet. Especially on a reduction drive CM hitting 5000 to break loose and go. This guy is running a DD. At 2800 the prop will be the loudest thing even with a bullet.

I have bullets run out the transom into the prop wash. I set my whisper tip to WOT at 2700 on my AC and at cruise you can just barely hear it going away at 200 yds. It is louder coming toward you so I believe the prop wash does a lot to dampen sound and flex pipe does a p*** poor job of keeping the sound in.

Makes me wonder how a magnaflow at the headers would sound with flex pipe running the remaining sound out the transom and enough pitch to keep WOT at 2600???

Coastslider
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Coastslider » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:08 pm

Rick McC. wrote:Well, we got nine years out of the first set of stainless flex pipe and Flowmasters, and have three years so far on the second set.

I expect to get several more years out of these, as we found that on the first set, the flex pipe was under quite a bit of stress, which we alleviated in routing the pipe this time.

They’re maganaflows dad :lol:

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby KC5AKB » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:31 pm

I use band clamps off the headers to the flex and to the mulf . When these wear out I will be looking the quite it down more .502 BBC 4 blade Water Walker

Glad to see folks asking so I can learn.
BRAB45 RRAB 17

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Sun May 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Coastslider wrote:
Rick McC. wrote:Well, we got nine years out of the first set of stainless flex pipe and Flowmasters, and have three years so far on the second set.

They’re magnaflows dad :lol:

Thanks, son!

Glad you cleared that up! :oops:
Rick

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Wed May 16, 2018 9:14 pm

My bullets with 800+ pony's blow'n through them let you have a conversation at 30mph while spinning only 2400rpms. :stirpot: :stirpot: I think you will wear the boat out b4 them and at $96 a pair work great for the budget. :cheers: Put them at the transom with some flex between and you will like :toothy7:
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Works for me, the Norman Clay bullets keep 542 inches at a dull roar.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Slidin Gator » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Put me down for team Magnaflow. I run the SST ovals mounted to the cage with SST flex to the headers. From the driver's seat, all I hear is prop and a mellow base tone. When I let someone else take her for a spin, all I hear is that mellow tone. It's the best sound in the world, it sounds like fun!

No experience with the Norman Clay units, so no opinion.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:46 am

I ran the MagnaFlo clones for a few years. They were real quiet and we loved them. I had a weld on one crack and was in a jam to repair when John at BrownWater Airboats said he has had excellent results out of the Norm Clay bullets. He said if your not happy just bring them back so it was risk free. We put them on in the same configuration as the bigger and heavier turbos and it's nearly as quiet. I am satisfied and get told all the time how quiet my boat is compared to others. No shade to the MagnaFlow they are top notch as are Borla.

Return to “Airboat Talk”