Talk to me About Sea Deck

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Talk to me About Sea Deck

Post by Duece » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:14 pm

Working on getting a new boat put together and am wondering how this stuff does on a hunt boat. I duck hunt, oyster, fish, turkey hunt etc. out of my rig and it can get pretty nasty. Seems like this stuff wouldn't hold up or would be a PITA to clean. Anyone out there using it on their hunting rig?

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

enorrisjr
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Talk to me About Sea Deck

Post by enorrisjr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:42 pm

I just had it
put on my boat and the first time out my puppy got caught on his leash and fell right in a big cow patty and got it all over the deck when I was trying to clean him up. The next day I washed it with car soap and water and you can't see any staining at all. So far so good!

mthuskey
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mthuskey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:23 pm

I have it on my airboat and spend time on a number of bay boats with it as well. I changed the oil and got some on it last weekend and straight simply green and it came right out. Look on their site is says you can clean it with acetone. It’s is possible to cut/nick it with something shaped but otherwise it’s extremely durable.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Fair warning,
A used bought rigging that's never been cleaned......... with sea deck foot stands do not hold up to a zero degree pressure washer.
Not that most would let it get stained like a floor mat entering a ho house, but a good pressure washer will rip it to pieces.

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:23 am

I usually don't pressure wash my boat, maybe just a high pressure nozzle on a garden hose is all. However, after an oystering trip or turkey hunt the deck of my rig can get pretty grimy. The thing that worries me is cutting it. I have a place in Citrus Co on an island and am frequently hauling stuff over there and loading/unloading from the boat so if it cuts or rips that might be a no go for me.

Duece
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

Bob1120
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Bob1120 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 pm

A good friend of mine has sea deck. He is very meticulous about his boat keeps it completely covered and spotless. He doesn't run it much and already there are several abrasions on it. I have a camp in Micco land and hauling things in and out would be pretty rough on it. I'm also in the process of building a new boat. I was thinking about putting snap on carpet panels that can be removed washed and kept in the garage when not in use. I believe there was somebody that makes them I will have to search past post. Good luck with your decision.

Hotdog
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hotdog » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in, I took some yoga matts and glued them down on my boat, 30 bucks and everything is covered. If it tears up in a year I'm still about 1800 bucks ahead

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Andy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:59 am

Check out Blacktip jet sports. It's the material they use in jet ski floor boards. In expensive compared to sea deck, several options in color and design . It has a 3m adhesive backing. If I remember right a 40x70 sheet is $70

Chickenrig
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Chickenrig » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:33 pm

http://gatortraxboats.com/options-accessories/
Try this guy for your deck material. I put it on my hunt boat 2 yrs ago and it’s holding up well. Alot cheaper than seadeck and looks good .
Whiskey bent and hell bound

2006 palm beach hunt boat
E-185 jugged to 0520
74" NGQ

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:49 am

Chickenrig wrote:http://gatortraxboats.com/options-accessories/
Try this guy for your deck material. I put it on my hunt boat 2 yrs ago and it’s holding up well. Alot cheaper than seadeck and looks good .
I'm assuming you were talking about the Hydro Turf on their website?

Duece

Missfire
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Missfire » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:43 pm

I and a friend both use a power washer to clean our sea dek, not point blank but maybe a foot or two away no problems, I don’t dwell on the edges just the mat itself. It sure is nice on the feet on blazing hot days
Hamant 14 x 8
550hp Waterthunder
Buttrax seats
SeaDek
Oxbox 2.68
Sensenich 3 blade Jx 82”
Member Brevard County Airboat Association
And Kissimmee River Valley Airboat Club

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:02 am

I have indoor/outdoor carpet glued down to the front deck. Been there 5+ years. No issues.
Mark 7:9

Redskinto
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Redskinto » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:51 am

If you are dropping sharp oysters onto it, you will get gouges/punctures. If your dog(s) are jumping off and on it, you will get punctures and tears. If your dumbass fam or friends cut mullet chunks for bait on it with a knife, you will get angry....and cuts on it. I have used pressure washer and carwash brush on handle and they both do a good job of keeping it clean after a muddy waccassasa/shellmound day. Take care of it like anything else and it holds up

Chickenrig
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Chickenrig » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Yes Deuce i am referring to the hydro-turf. They reingineed it a couple of years ago . Put better uv stabilizers in it and a slighty harder ahell on it and it seems to hold up better than the old stuff . Just use 3M spray glue around the edges and it’s rock solid
Whiskey bent and hell bound

2006 palm beach hunt boat
E-185 jugged to 0520
74" NGQ

Return to “Airboat Talk”