Airboat that was sunk then left for 3 years

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
HomesteadSlide
Southern Airboat Member

Airboat that was sunk then left for 3 years

Post by HomesteadSlide » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:28 am

I’m searching for my first airboat A/C motor for 3a riding mostly, found my father in laws old collenger with a lycoming 150 that was sunk, oil changed twice after and then left to sit for 3 years. $6,000 is lowest the man will go I’m wanting advice from ya’ll on this being worth it. He paid $4,500 I don’t see how it appreciated in value. Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated! :rebel:
11' Franny Taylor O-360 sled
:old_glory: :florida:
Union till the day I die !

HomesteadSlide
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Airboat that was sunk then left for 3 years

Post by HomesteadSlide » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 am

I should clarify that it was pulled out shortly after sinking. It tilted over onto its side and the motor was submerged from my understanding, now sitting at the airboat association. :rebel:

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:51 am

Damn, your father in-law must not like you, what did you do to his daughter :?: :D

You can get a fully rebuilt, ready to run O-320 (160 Hp) from a reputable re-builder for not a hell of a lot more than that ($8-$10K). I would not pay more than $2K for what you describe, and that would be after pulling the cylinders and inspecting everything.

You said the oil was changed 2 times, how much running did it get between oil changes to dry it all out, otherwise cam, crank, mags, carb condition are suspect? When these motors are sunk while running, they are hot. The shock of cooling quickly in the water can damage the metal and there is a good possibility of dropping the exhaust seat or cracking around the exhaust seat. A good assumption is you will need 2x new loaded cylinders at $1,300 give or take (you install) for the side that submerged.

I would walk away and look for a good deal, or maybe get the missus to talk to dad :dontknow:
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:55 am

Correction, I just realized this is boat and motor. Assume $2K value maximum for the motor (pending inspection). Is the boat worth $4-5K? Depends on condition. What's the prop look like, what work does the boat need?
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

HomesteadSlide
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HomesteadSlide » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 am

This was after he sold it :lol: , but from my understanding it wasn’t run for maybe more than 1 hour after the incident. I’ve been looking around and I’m sure I’ll come across “the one”. I appreciate the info !

HomesteadSlide
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HomesteadSlide » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:58 am

Prop is fine, cage could probably use new wire. Before it was sunk it had brand new alternator, and a few other small things that were put on before the sale.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Glad to hear you remain on good terms :)

Guess it would be nice to bring it back into the family but I can't see how a $4,500 boat that then took a dunking appreciated to $6K either.

Good luck, there are plenty of good deals out there, just always assume the worst on the motor until proven otherwise.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Slidin Gator wrote: just always assume the worst on the motor until proven otherwise
x2 :salute:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 am

Does it run? Is it froze up? If it sat for 3 years the cam is probably rusted up. But a good Collinger hull would be a good find. You try talking you father in law down to his original 4500? Maybe he knows the addition and is trying to keep you from it.

HomesteadSlide
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HomesteadSlide » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 am

It’s not his boat anymore it’s been sold twice since he had it

Return to “Airboat Talk”