Rigging Question

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Rigging Question

Post by Duece » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:43 pm

I currently have a front driver with a triple rear seat and a jump seat on the front of by 14' Diamondback. I'm looking into getting another DB and have noticed a lot of people doing the rear driver side-by-side seating with a bench seat in the front. What's the pro's/cons of this setup? I'd have a gearbox boat so I know torque roll would be a concern. For those that have it, or have made the switch, please chime in.

Thanks,

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

Coastslider
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Rigging Question

Post by Coastslider » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:50 pm

I like mine a lot. Can keep my eyes on the little ones. My friends like it cause they’re higher up and can see more of what’s going on when they sit up top with me.

Mossy Cypress
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Mossy Cypress » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Can definately keep an eye on the little ones and other passengers better with rear side by side/rear operator, that was my main reason for going that route, I definitely like that setup better for my boat. Nice to not have to keep looking back to see/talk to freinds/kids for sure.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 am

Putting passengers forward gives the operator more control of the guests. It also reduces the risk of them getting fingers injured around belts and machinery. This is my preferred set up. I have people who ride with me who do stupid shizt and carry guns, I don't want anyone behind me where I cant see what they are doing.

The only advantage to a front steer is if it is a small boat and you ride solo a lot. Your putting weight forward to better balance your load.

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:26 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Putting passengers forward gives the operator more control of the guests. It also reduces the risk of them getting fingers injured around belts and machinery. This is my preferred set up. I have people who ride with me who do stupid shizt and carry guns, I don't want anyone behind me where I cant see what they are doing.

The only advantage to a front steer is if it is a small boat and you ride solo a lot. Your putting weight forward to better balance your load.
Yes, this would be me. Also looking at the rear driver setups it looks like it reduces some of the capable storage in the bottom of the boat which I frequently use, so I'm probably just going back to my old front driver setup. Thanks for the opinions!

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

Return to “Airboat Talk”