Best GPS for the Airboat

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Dockside Dave
Southern Airboat Member

Best GPS for the Airboat

Postby Dockside Dave » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 pm

In your opinion, what the best GPS to mount on the airboat. I would like one that records the travelled route.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Best GPS for the Airboat

Postby flcracker9 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:41 pm

You will get all kinds of opinions on that, it's really personal preference & budget. I'm a firm believer in getting the best unit you can afford. I have the Garmin EchoMAP 54 DV, and I'm happy with it. I like the 5" screen (my eyes aint what they used to be), and like most units, it plots your track, and you can store and name your tracks, along with storing weigh points.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Slidin Gator » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:19 pm

They all record your route and all the other functions regardless of brand, pricing is really a function of screen size, you can get a cheap handheld unit for under $100 that will do all you need if you can see it. I'm a big fan of Garmin and do not think you can go wrong with their products, their customer service is the best that I have ever experienced. They did me real right back in the 90's by replacing a unit that died in a rain storm and was years out of warranty, the rep told me they were not supposed to leak. I have stuck with them ever since and they continue to provide great service. I use a lot of their dog tracking gear, which takes a beating and they support it well. You will be hard pressed to find someone bad mouthing Garmin gear.

Speaking of dog tracking gear, I use an Astro system and it works great as an airboat GPS with a mount and 12 Volt power cord. The handheld is hard to see, but they do offer a system that gives a big screen (Drive Track). The great thing about owning the tracking gear is you can give your ride buddies a dog collar to hang on their boat and then you never get lost, 2+ mile range showing where they are on a map. With the Alpha system you don't even need collars, the Alpha units communicate directly to provide location information to each other. It's more money than a plain GPS for sure, but it pretty much eliminates all the looking for each other! Long term it saves fuel if you care...
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:04 pm

Garmin for sure, just be sure you’re getting a model that’s bright enough to see the screen in daylight.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

Return to “Airboat Talk”