LEARNED LESSON

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

LEARNED LESSON

Post by Lwells »

My friend and I took my airboat out yesterday on Okeechobee and were going to run some of the trails we normally ran but after running a couple we started up another and suddenly the water got ankle deep and then looked like it was going to be grass only so I backed out of it and let it stop to decide whether to chance it or not for I had never ran this big boat in mud or grass or even dry but my mistake was letting it settle down and stop instead of cutting it hard and pouring the coal to it to stay up on top. When I let it stop the mud sucked it down and we couldn't budge it for it was like it was glued to the ground and I didn't get to aggressive with it till I tried to figure what to do. I told my friend to take the 25 foot bow rope and walk over to the side and to the back so he could pull on the front when I cut it and opened it up. He started pulling and I opened it up and it came out of there like it was shot out of a cannon and when I came by him I backed out of it so he could jump on board and we were out of there but for awhile I thought I had screwed up right and no one knew we went out and no one was out either so it could have gotten to be a hairy situation. I was really surprised how my aircraft engine moved the 16 foot boat the way it was stuck but I damn sure learned a lesson from it. Anyone else done this lately since the water is so shallow. I didn't see many places you could run an outboard around unless you were in open water. Well, I've told on myself so let me have it.LOL

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: LEARNED LESSON

Post by kwanjangnihm »

pipedog had a similar situation recently at the big O :salute: glad you got out safe!! :thumbleft:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

with these conditions it will humble the baddest of the bad out there
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick »

Thank God you had an AC motor car motor might not have made it out

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Rich Andrews wrote:with these conditions it will humble the baddest of the bad out there
Absolutely agree with that.

Of course lolrick makes a good point too :D :stirpot:

Rick

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

Kind of remember a nice SA run back in the day with a good group of SA members when the lake was at 11 if I remember correctly, one of the FAA rides. After a long day me and a few other guys were belly up for a few hrs after an awesome day of ridin and got a call that someone was stuck somewhere and needed help. Few of us loaded up launched and ran out to help. Turned out to be a nite ride and a help rescue with some memories etched in my mind.

Moral here is airboaters no matter if they own a 5k sled or a 99k sled we all are a voice of one. Airboaters are the best people I have ever met and I will fight to keep it alive as long as I can.

**** the state who is continually trying to outlaw airboats
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog »

:thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
Rich Andrews wrote:Kind of remember a nice SA run back in the day with a good group of SA members when the lake was at 11 if I remember correctly, one of the FAA rides. After a long day me and a few other guys were belly up for a few hrs after an awesome day of ridin and got a call that someone was stuck somewhere and needed help. Few of us loaded up launched and ran out to help. Turned out to be a nite ride and a help rescue with some memories etched in my mind.

Moral here is airboaters no matter if they own a 5k sled or a 99k sled we all are a voice of one. Airboaters are the best people I have ever met and I will fight to keep it alive as long as I can.

**** the state who is continually trying to outlaw airboats
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

Return to “Airboat Talk”