3A shut down coming soon

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
keys2pines
Southern Airboat Member

3A shut down coming soon

Post by keys2pines »

Just a heads-up if anyone wants to ride 3A this weekend would be the time. The water level is only a few days away from the closed action line. I watch it everyday, and it went from 11.27 Wednesday to 11.40 today, it was 10.5 a few weeks ago. The cutoff is 11.60

http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/reports/r-wca3.html
12x6'8" Frank Barnes deckover, 383 DD, 72" Sensenich JM
Our keys house for rent, 10% off for SA members https://rentalsfloridakeys.com/view-uni ... /#image-10 :usa:

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Re: 3A shut down coming soon

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Keys2pines I know you are trying to be helpful but those are words that should never be spoken on here and I sure hope you are wrong. :rebel: once again that is north side of the alley and should have nothing to do with the south side but it does :dontknow:

keys2pines
Southern Airboat Member

Post by keys2pines »

Scotty1 wrote::rebel: Keys2pines I know you are trying to be helpful but those are words that should never be spoken on here and I sure hope you are wrong. :rebel: once again that is north side of the alley and should have nothing to do with the south side but it does :dontknow:
I hear you, but the only thing worse than the shut down is not knowing it’s coming. Might give someone an extra ride they wouldnt have taken. I hope I’m wrong too, but this rain has been ridiculous. Even when it’s not raining in Broward it’s been raining over the glades.
Our keys house for rent, 10% off for SA members https://rentalsfloridakeys.com/view-uni ... /#image-10 :usa:

Gladesman06
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Gladesman06 »

The high water closure criteria was reached yesterday but FWC is going to wait until Monday 26th to see if the water might drop but if it doesn't change a good amount they will be closing it in Monday.

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa »

Good evening,
Just got this e-mail from AAOF.
This was sent of us from JOHN ROSIER

>
> More info to digest. The S-8 pump station is pumping water into 3a. It's coming out of the fields, STAs, and the lake. Lake O has went up a foot in about a week from all the inflows above it and rain on the lake. You might wonder why it's not flowing east and west but only south. Well, the governor's power base is in the St Lucie area and it's also the district that Congressman Brian Mast represents. He's the one that got all the SFWMD people fired and replaced with folks that don't have our best interests in mind. As I have said before, they don't care about our wildlife in our WMAs as long as their boats don't get algae on them. If you can, please send Mr Mast an e-mail asking him if he cares about the wildlife down here or his wildlife is more important up there. Here's a link to his e-mail--https://mast.house.gov/email
>
> You can complain all you want about the FWC shutting the area down, but they didn't cause it.
>
> John
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

Sarahj
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Sarahj »

If you can, please send Mr Mast an e-mail asking him if he cares about the wildlife down here or his wildlife is more important up there. Here's a link to his e-mail--https://mast.house.gov/email
John[/quote]

Not to worry! Once all the polluted water comes out in Everglades National Park and makes its way to the Keys National Marine Sanctuary and Florida Bay plenty of noise will be made. The problem is all the sources of pollution have yet to be eliminated and the STA's can't handle the amount of toxins being pushed into them. Something like 4 percent of the lake O water was pushed into the WMA's in past years and held there hoping the glades would clean it but it did not. They held the water so long mostly all of the tree islands went under water killing off all the deer. Now they will do the same thing but on a much larger scale and I fear the damage to the glades and Florida Bay will be like something never seen before.

I look at it like this: Dumping the septic tank in the back yard instead of the front really does not solve the problem. Sure the neighbors no longer see it but your yard is still full of s#it. Mast and Desantis are trying to do something good but have made the same mistake as politicians in the past. Not addressing the pollution at its sources and stopping it from ever entering the lake and the glades to begin with. Either end farming in the Okeechobee watershed or make farmers contain and treat their runoff.
Old School 10ft Taylor 0-320 63" Sensenich :florida:

keys2pines
Southern Airboat Member

Post by keys2pines »

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." We have to reduce pollution from all sources entering the water system. I think FIU or FAU had a study that I read last year saying septic tanks were a big nitrogen contributor and help fuel the algae blooms. We had the same problem in the keys, studies found bacteria from human feces were killing off the reefs. Guess what? No more septic tanks in the keys, we all had to convert to sewer. Where do you think all the fertilizer from all the lawns, golf courses, etc ends up? I stopped fertilizing my yard, I don't want to contribute anymore. Our resources are worth way more than what it costs to prevent further damage.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Good post Sarahj my thought to this is why do they pick the 2 deepest areas to use for closure water depth ,these areas are on the north side of the alley and should have nothing to do with the rest of the areas. Why don't they just close the areas that are to high not shut down everything because of two gauges . They close certain areas that they want during hunting season but shut it all down for 2 readings. Last year the reservation did not follow FWC( bull shit) I hope they don't again this year the water in res is maybe 14 inches or so deep not even close to be to high. F.W.C. IS JUST A JOKE shut down the areas that is to deep and leave rest alone. :rebel: :rebel: :dontknow: AND DEFINATLY MAKE THE GROWERS DEAL WITH THE TOXIC WASTE

Gladesman06
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Gladesman06 »

Cherpa you are correct. This isn't FWC's fault. There is a lot more to the store. Sarahj summed it up pretty good.

Sarahj
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Sarahj »

Hey Scotty! How are you doing? Hope all is well. Some of our members are headed out this weekend to clean up and ride before the possible shutdown. I won't make it this time but should be out in the next month or so. Hope to see you out there at some point. Have you been out lately? Any frogs?

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Sarahj we are scheduled to come down a week from to day for labor day , we were down early may for 11 days frogs were all little then. So if you here anything about the Res, please post it but I believe they will leave it open for now. I cant believe that people don't believe that F.W.C. has nothing to do with the closures ,they don't think that they are not capable of closing just curtain areas. I guess your not hunters then. F.W.C. is suppose to protect the animals how are they doing that by letting them flood and poison everything. That's my opium which I am entitled to for now any way. :rebel:

Gladesman06
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Gladesman06 »

Scotty1 the water is controlled by Army Corps and Water Management not FWC? All FWC is doing is enforcing the laws that are in place. Unfortunately there is way more to this water stuff than most people know. If the new plan goes into effect Area 3A south will stay pretty much an average of 3' deep year round unless we have a major drought or major rain event. This will most likely be the new normal. There is definitely a problem with the way they control our water but 99% of it is Army Corps doing.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Well answer me this does either of the groups you mentioned power over the F. W. C> I do not believe so and i dont believe there is a law that says they have to close everything down because of 2 gauges on the north side of the alley in the deepest zones. they dont shut things down in central or north Florida because high water down south so it would seem to me they other options. They just dont use them :rebel: Its all politics washing each others dirty hands

Gladesman06
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Gladesman06 »

Yes the Army Corps has the most power. What they say pretty much is what goes. I don't believe there is an actual law but years ago when there was a problem FWC determined the closure height and what gauges they would use to determine that and said this is the new rule. If people didn't do stupid things we would still be able to access the areas when the water is high but unfortunately Stupid people ruin it for everyone else. The reason they go off those rain gauges is because most of the water from that area will end up in Area 3A south. Also most of Area 3A north is higher than 3A south. You are talking Apple's to Orange's when you talk about North of the lake and south of the lake (Everglades). It is clearly two different kind of terrains. There is a huge difference in the Everglades and the Marsh. You have to remember there is way MORE high land north of the lake then there is in the Everglades. I know it's aggravating but unfortunately it's something we have to deal with. It's pouring raining here in Broward right now.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Yes i know there is a lot of difference in the terrain I was born in southwest Florida and have been in the woods and glades all my life from walking to 4 wheelers ,swamp buggys and airboats .As far as the army corps they are the group that screwed up the what they call the south blocks south the alley on the west coast with all there canals. But i still believe that F.W.C. has the option to only close only the areas that are to high . There for unless you can show me a paper that says other wise then it is F.W.C. who is to blame for closing all the areas and not just a couple areas. And once again this is my opinion and i cant prove it either. :rebel:

Sarahj
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Sarahj »

Scotty1 sounds good. I will let you know if I hear anything about the water or the frog situation. I am sure all these changes with the water flow will have its issues but hopefully we don’t have another deer kill like they had in the 90’s. Time will tell. With any luck the tribe will keep it open all year. I don’t want to get swamp fever again. The last few years have been terrible with all the high water closures.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

Thought they flew the levy and when a certain number of deer were on it they closed the area.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Gary S no that is how they reopen it, has to be below 11.60 on those 2 gauges and hardly no deer on the levee I think it was the l5 levee cant really remember and I think less then 10 deer on it north side anyway. I am getting old cant remember nothing any more. But its the same thing every year. I believe it is ruttenburg ,holley land area. they say it is to protect the animals which is crap if they wanted to protect them they would not let it get this high to start with . Any way should not have anything to do with the south side areas , for they are not that high. :rebel: Thanks Sarah will be standing by

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

High water prompts temporary closure to portions of Everglades WMA
Due to high-water levels associated with recent storms, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is temporarily closing portions of the Everglades and Francis S. Taylor Wildlife Management Area beginning 12:01 a.m. Monday, Aug. 26.

The L4 south and L5 south levee roads will be closed to all public access until further notice. However, Water Conservation Area 2 (2A and 2B) and that portion of Water Conservation Area 3A South located east of the Miami Canal between 1-75 and the L-67A levee will remain open to public access.

Public access is prohibited in the remainder of the area, except licensed and permitted individuals accessing established canals via boats (other than airboats) may participate in the Statewide Alligator Harvest Program, waterfowl hunting (during statewide migratory bird seasons), fishing, frogging, and non-native reptile removal. Participants must maintain a minimum distance of 100 yards from any tree island to minimize disturbance to wildlife.

Permitted python removal contractors employed by the South Florida Water Management District or the FWC may use vehicles on levee roads other than the L4 south and L5 south levee roads.

“As water levels in the wildlife management area rise, wildlife such as deer, raccoons, and rabbits tend to seek higher ground, such as tree islands and levees,” said Dr. Tom Reinert, FWC regional director. “To protect them and help reduce stress, temporary public closures are necessary. Area canals remain open to boat access, though, for fishing, frogging, and other recreational access.”

If you have questions, contact the FWC’s South Regional Office at 561-625-5122.

SouthernGlades540
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SouthernGlades540 »

Just got back from l28 / tower water is steady flowing south. Over levee into cypress.
Attachments
68065E95-ED9D-4BEA-9670-5A5ECACD201F.jpeg
:proud: 13x7’6” Alumitech av540 Everglades 3a south :florida:

SouthernGlades540
Southern Airboat Member

76A713B7-E57C-4C43-ABFC-CF4F1AEF00D6.jpeg

SouthernGlades540
Southern Airboat Member

Beautiful day in “our Florida
Everglades before the man says NO”

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!! :salute:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: yeah that water going over the levee right there at the swimming hole is normal, Southern Glades 540 about how deep you think it was out in sloughs in the flats. :rebel: shutting it down what a crock they use the 2 gauges that are the deepest of all areas to monitor .

Gladesman06
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Gladesman06 »

The water is pretty high in area 3a south. The water at Smokes camp is over the Island. Hopefully the rain will stop and they will open back up soon. I sure hope this storm doesn't hit us or it will be closed for awhile.

Return to “Airboat Talk”