GPS

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Rob0060
Southern Airboat Member

GPS

Post by Rob0060 »

I just bought a Diamondback 1476 and I'm trying to outfit it with a GPS. I need one that will be good for Okeechobee and the glades. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'd appreciate any help.

Missfire
Southern Airboat Member

Re: GPS

Post by Missfire »

I’ve asked the same question couple times very few if any will answer but I see a lot of boats with them seems they don’t want to admit to having one maybe. Good luck
Hamant 14 x 8
550hp Waterthunder
Buttrax seats
SeaDek
Oxbox 2.68
Sensenich 3 blade Jx 82”
Member Brevard County Airboat Association
And Kissimmee River Valley Airboat Club

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Yes

I run a Garmin 640 mounted on my gauge console and love it. It is a discontinued model so part number is not useful to you but it has a dual use function of both auto and marine. The auto function works great for me and it actually has a lot of the small islands and hammocks shaded in and outlined. We then run the track feature and it builds a great data base of the trails and routes we run. Several other folks purchased one and everyone I spoke with was HAPPY with it!

You will have a bunch of guys suggest using your phone. Many say MotionX is a program they like. Not for us as we want a dedicated system and the cell in a dry box, but that is just me!

The nice thing with the automotive program is it will also show you roads in an emergency if you ever needed to medi-vac someone and is independent of a cell signal.

BrandonMiller84
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BrandonMiller84 »

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:26 am
Yes

I run a Garmin 640 mounted on my gauge console and love it. It is a discontinued model so part number is not useful to you but it has a dual use function of both auto and marine. The auto function works great for me and it actually has a lot of the small islands and hammocks shaded in and outlined. We then run the track feature and it builds a great data base of the trails and routes we run. Several other folks purchased one and everyone I spoke with was HAPPY with it!

You will have a bunch of guys suggest using your phone. Many say MotionX is a program they like. Not for us as we want a dedicated system and the cell in a dry box, but that is just me!

The nice thing with the automotive program is it will also show you roads in an emergency if you ever needed to medi-vac someone and is independent of a cell signal.
I agree about Garmin, I also use and advise everyone. It works like a mechanical watch. Good luck!

qgator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by qgator »

I run a handheld Montana with the Marine Mount. Never had any issues.

Pato Sicario
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Pato Sicario »

Another vote for Garmin. Currently running a Garmin 942xs GPS MAPS. Also own Lowrance HDS in a second boat. They work great as well. Mine are mounted to my dash in Utah style boats. I use my boat for duck hunting. Often going out before sunrise or after the sun has gone down (completely dark) and possibly in snow storms with low visibility.

I would recommend you look at different brands and read reviews. Google some brands followed by “marine chart plotters”. There are plenty of options at different price points based on needs.

For the conditions we run in Utah, I think they are essential. I’ve never regretted spending money on GPS. It allows you the ability to mark/find/follow trails you have used before, and get home safe every time.
Good luck!
16x8 Utah style Diamondback. Steve Morris 427 LS3 w/3.6L Kenne Bell blower, Holley EFI, 2.55 OxBox swinging a 5 blade 82” JX

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

I'd like to just use my cellphone or a tablet. I'm having trouble with where to mount mine though where I can see it. Thought of doing a large chart plotter but being that my boat is front driver, it's not really feasible. MotionX is for IPhone, anyone know of any good nav apps for Android?

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

Rob0060
Southern Airboat Member

Re: GPS , thanks for info it’s greatly appreciated. Have a Happy and safe new year.

Post by Rob0060 »

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:26 am
Yes

Rob0060
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rob0060 »

thanks for the info. It’s greatly appreciated. Have a safe and happy new year.

Dockside Dave
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dockside Dave »

A GPS Tracker for Android

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

Just mounted a Garmin 64sx handheld on my console. I really like it. Initially I wanted a big hard-wired unit, but I’m glad I went this route instead.
67F63FE7-9DE9-4AED-9D7C-CD04DE4DA8BB.jpeg

akmike30
Southern Airboat Member

Post by akmike30 »

I have Garmin echomap95sv with a local Alaska topo map card. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

On my bay boat its a Lowrance hook 5 . For the air boat and hunting I have two options my phone and a Garmin hand held 64.

stbpope
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stbpope »

i use phone and handheld

Return to “Airboat Talk”